GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 13:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
P
The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 25 Jul 2017, 20:39
Top Contributor
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:18) correct 42% (02:45) wrong based on 475 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The number \(\sqrt{63-36\sqrt{3}}\) can be expressed as \(x + y \sqrt{3}\) for some integers x and y. What is the value of xy ?

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Originally posted by carcass on 25 Jul 2017, 11:38.
Last edited by Bunuel on 25 Jul 2017, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 08:05
\(\sqrt{63 - 36\sqrt{3}} = x + y \sqrt{3}\)

Square both sides:

\(( \sqrt{63 - 36\sqrt{3}} )^2 = (x + y \sqrt{3} )^2 \\
63 - 36 \sqrt{3} = x^2 + 3y^2 + 2xy \sqrt{3}\)

On the right, the integer part is the x^2 + 3y^2, so that equals 63, and the 2xy√3 is equal to -36√3, so 2xy = -36, and xy = -18.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

General Discussion
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 09:10
carcass wrote:
The number \(\sqrt{63-36\sqrt{3}}\) can be expressed as \(x + y \sqrt{3}\) for some integers x and y. What is the value of xy ?

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

\(\sqrt{63-36\sqrt{3}}\) can be written as

=\(\sqrt{63-2*6*3\sqrt{3}}\)

=\(\sqrt{6^2 + 3\sqrt{3}^2 - 2*6*3\sqrt{3}}\)

=\(\sqrt{(6 - 3\sqrt{3})^2}\)

=\(6 - 3\sqrt{3}\)

Comparing it with \(x + y \sqrt{3}\)

We can say the value of x = 6 and y = -3

Thus, the product of x*y = -18

And the correct answer is Option A.

Thanks,
Saquib
Quant Expert
e-GMAT

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties (held every 3rd week) to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts :)

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2017, 10:05
carcass wrote:

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

Here is what comes to my mind when I see this question:

\(\sqrt{63-36\sqrt{3}} = x + y \sqrt{3}\)

Now, this is a PS question so I will have a unique value for xy. All I need to do is find one set of values which satisfy this equation.
There is nothing I can compare while there is the sqrt on the left hand side. So let's square both sides.

\(63 - 36\sqrt{3} = x^2 + 3y^2 + 2xy\sqrt{3}\)

The co-efficient of the irrational term has to be equal to on both sides. So
-36 = 2xy
xy = -18

Answer (A)

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2017, 13:34
carcass wrote:

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

We can equate the two expressions:

√(63 - 36√3) = x + y√3

Squaring both sides we have:

63 - 36√3 = (x + y√3)^2

63 - 36√3 = (x + y√3)(x + y√3)

63 - 36√3 = x^2 + 2xy√3 + 3y^2

We can equate the terms containing √3 on each side of the equation. We see that:

-36√3 = 2xy√3

-18 = xy

Answer: A

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 08:35
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
carcass wrote:

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

\(\sqrt{63-36\sqrt{3}}\) can be written as

=\(\sqrt{63-2*6*3\sqrt{3}}\)

=\(\sqrt{6^2 + 3\sqrt{3}^2 - 2*6*3\sqrt{3}}\)

=\(\sqrt{(6 - 3\sqrt{3})^2}\)

=\(6 - 3\sqrt{3}\)

Comparing it with \(x + y \sqrt{3}\)

We can say the value of x = 6 and y = -3

Thus, the product of x*y = -18

And the correct answer is Option A.

Thanks,
Saquib
Quant Expert
e-GMAT

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties (held every 3rd week) to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts :)

Elegant solution!
But a bit hard to deduct under time pressure
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 08:48
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
carcass wrote:

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

Now, this is a PS question so I will have a unique value for xy. All I need to do is find one set of values which satisfy this equation.
There is nothing I can compare while there is the sqrt on the left hand side. So let's square both sides.

-36 = 2xy
xy = -18

Answer (A)

Why the co-efficient of the irrational term has to be equal to on both sides? Is there such a rule? Not in basic GMAT quant rules like GMAT official quantitative review...
I do have difficulties with this concept you have two sides of the equations with two terms on one side and 3 terms on the other side and then it looks like you arbitrarily pick a couple, how about other terms 63 and X^2 and 3y^2? Do they have to be equal and why?
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 11:34
Erjan_S wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
carcass wrote:

A. –18

B. –6

C. 6

D. 18

E. 27

-36 = 2xy
xy = -18

Answer (A)

Why the co-efficient of the irrational term has to be equal to on both sides? Is there such a rule? Not in basic GMAT quant rules like GMAT official quantitative review...
I do have difficulties with this concept you have two sides of the equations with two terms on one side and 3 terms on the other side and then it looks like you arbitrarily pick a couple, how about other terms 63 and X^2 and 3y^2? Do they have to be equal and why?
VeritasPrepKarishma
Bunuel
GMAT Tutor
S
The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2018, 15:58
Erjan_S wrote:
Why the co-efficient of the irrational term has to be equal to on both sides? Is there such a rule?

You'd never need to mathematically prove that's true on the GMAT, but it is true. I can explain, but test takers don't need to understand how to do this in order to solve GMAT questions:

We arrived at this:

\(63 - 36\sqrt{3} = x^2 + 3y^2 + 2xy \sqrt{3}\)

x and y are integers, so x^2 + 3y^2 is just some integer, and 2xy is also some integer. So let's just let a = x^2 + 3y^2, and b = 2xy, to make this all easier to look at. Then a and b are integers and we have

\(63 - 36\sqrt{3} = a + b \sqrt{3}\)

Now the number √3 is what is called an 'irrational number', which means it is impossible to write √3 as some fraction c/d where c and d are both integers (I can prove that √3 is irrational separately if anyone is interested). Let's take the equation above, and write it with √3 on one side:

\(\begin{align}
63 - 36\sqrt{3} &= a + b \sqrt{3} \\
63 - a &= b \sqrt{3} + 36 \sqrt{3} \\
63 - a &= \sqrt{3} (b + 36) \\
\frac{63 - a}{b + 36} &= \sqrt{3}
\end{align}\)

But there's something wrong here: 63-a and b+36 are both integers. If this equation were right, then we would have just written √3 as a fraction using two integers, but we know that's impossible to do since √3 is an irrational number. So there must be something wrong with our solution, and the only thing that might be wrong is that we might have divided by zero in the second last line. So b+36 must be equal to 0 (and similarly 63-a must be equal to 0). From there we find that b = -36, so 2xy = -36, and xy = -18.

That's how you can prove that in similar equations, the rational parts and irrational parts must be equal. So if you saw, say, this equation:

5 + 10√2 = e + f + (m + p)√2

where all the letters are integers, then it would need to be true that e+f = 5, and m +p = 10.

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

P

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 00:06
Erjan_S wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma
Bunuel

Ian has already explained very well why this will be true.
I will just add why it makes intuitive sense to me.

An irrational number is one which cannot be constructed from ratio of integers. So I cannot have an expression with just integers equal to an irrational number.
\(\sqrt{3}\) cannot be (ab + c)/d etc etc where all are integers. There are no building blocks for irrational numbers among integers.

So if I have a \(\sqrt{3}\) on the left hand side, I must have one on the right hand side too.
If I have 4 \(\sqrt{3}\)s on the left hand side, I must have 4 \(\sqrt{3}\)s on the right hand side too. That is why I can equate the co-efficients.

Karishma

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse &nbs [#permalink] 03 Jan 2018, 00:06

The number can be expressed as (63 - 36*3^(1/2))^(1/2) can be expresse

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap