Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [8]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [2]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [2]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1188 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The number of sports cars per square mile is 40% greater in downtown T [#permalink]
Thanks for the helpful replies guys :-). I have posted the OA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: The number of sports cars per square mile is 40% greater in downtown T [#permalink]
[fraction][/fraction]The number of sports cars per square mile is 40% greater in downtown Terrera than in downtown Goldsville. If the entire metropolitan area of each city is compared—which includes downtown as well as suburbs and exurbs—then the number of sports cars per square mile is 20% greater in Goldsville.

I ADOPT A SIMPLE METHOD FOR THESE QUESTIONS. Take 100 cars per square mile as a base for Downtown Goldsville......

Terrera Goldsville

140 100 ( Gives number of cars per square mile only taking downtown figures)
_ _
150 180 ( Gives number of cars per square mile including suburbs)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
10 80 ( Gives number of cars per square mile only taking suburb figures)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ONLY NOW CAN THE FACTS HOLD...........
So inference is simple.............. ONLY D HOLDS.... THAT IS "Per square mile, there are fewer sports cars in the exurbs and suburbs of Terrera than in those of Goldsville. "
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi, pqhai:
Can you explain for me the reason why
Quote:
Formula #2: The number of sport car per mile square (*) = (1) number of sport car/mile square in downtown + (2) number of sport car/mile square in suburb + (3) number of sport car/mile square in exurb.

I think that number of car per mile square like average so we cannot sum 2 average in order to calculate the big average.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
OA does not work, we can have 0 cars and a fixed suburb area for G town, while assigning 1 car and sufficiently large area to Town to bring down it's density to any number we want.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
test takers should read carefully in real GMAT, I picked E because I read the option too fast. Also, because I know this is a common pattern in gmat, I already know the answer after I read the first sentence of the passage even though I have not done this question before (there are many similar questions with similar topics).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM

Official Explanation:

This is a tough question that not only deals with numbers vs. percents but also throws in downtown vs. the overall city, of which downtown is a part. The argument is as follows: There are more sports cars per mile in downtown T. than in downtown G. If the entire city is compared, however, the number of cars per square mile is greater in G.

(D) is correct because we know that T., per square mile, has more cars in downtown than G. but G. has more cars, per square mile, overall. Since the city is only made up of downtown, exurbs ,and suburbs, there must be more cars per square mile in the exurbs and suburbs of G. than in those of T.

(A) is tempting since we are led to believe that there are more total cars in G. than in T. Read carefully, though. More cars per square mile does not equal more total cars. In other words, it’s a question of density of sports cars in an area, not the total number of cars in that area. If metropolitan T. is much larger than metropolitan G., then it will have more total cars.

(B) is incorrect for the same reason as (A).

(C) is wrong because we only know about car per square mile (see (A)). We don’t know about total area.

(E) is wrong because the paragraph gives us nothing regarding the breakdown between the downtown vs. the non-downtown areas.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts