Last visit was: 14 Jul 2024, 10:46 It is currently 14 Jul 2024, 10:46
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 640754 [3]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 640754 [0]
Given Kudos: 85011
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1621 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Re: The quality of heliotropism, a plant's ability to change its bearing [#permalink]
Kudos
The quality of heliotropism, a plant's ability to change its bearing to face the direction of the sun, is common in sunflowers. Moss displays the tendency to grow only on the side of trees opposite the most sunny direction. Therefore, moss exhibits the opposite phenomenon of heliotropism, which may be called contra-heliotropism.

The argument is flawed primarily because the author

A. does not take into consideration the fact that the direction of the sun changes during the day and between the southern and northern hemispheres Irrelevant

B. includes sunflowers and moss in the same group while ignoring obvious differences between them Incorrect

authors doesnt say about this

C. creates a new word in Latin which does not really exist Incorrect

this cant be a flaw

D. fails to distinguish between a plant's special ability and a plant's special growth conditions Correct

authors compare ability with growth condition

E. compares two types of plants which rarely grow in similar conditions Incorrect

author doesnt compare between two types of plants
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 857 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Re: The quality of heliotropism, a plant's ability to change its bearing [#permalink]
The quality of heliotropism, a plant's ability to change its bearing to face the direction of the sun, is common in sunflowers. Moss displays the tendency to grow only on the side of trees opposite the most sunny direction. Therefore, moss exhibits the opposite phenomenon of heliotropism, which may be called contra-heliotropism.

The argument is flawed primarily because the author

the key flaw is: he compares wrong elements

A. does not take into consideration the fact that the direction of the sun changes during the day and between the southern and northern hemispheres
even sun direction changes, it is not the key flaw. the key flaw is he compares wrong elements based on wrong criterias.
B. includes sunflowers and moss in the same group while ignoring obvious differences between them
not mentioned
C. creates a new word in Latin which does not really exist
irrelevant
D. fails to distinguish between a plant's special ability and a plant's special growth conditions
author distinguishes plant's special ability vs plant;s growth conditions

E. compares two types of plants which rarely grow in similar conditions
compares wrong groups of flowers.

I will mark E as the answer
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi IanStewart Maxximus

Can you please check the wordings are correct or my understanding is wrong of the statement:
Quote:
D. fails to distinguish between a plant's special ability and a plant's special growth conditions

In the argument, author already distinguish/different between plant's special ability and plant's special growth conditions
The key flaw is : it compares wrong phenomenon/not valid elements to compare.

is the flaw it doesn't distinghuish between elements?
But , I can see the differences in the argument memtioned.

please comment on the understanding of option D

Thanks! IanStewart Maxximus
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 121
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
mSKR wrote:
Hi IanStewart Maxximus

Can you please check the wordings are correct or my understanding is wrong of the statement:
Quote:

In the argument, author already distinguish/different between plant's special ability and plant's special growth conditions

Hi,

I am not an expert.. but this is what I think..

Option D - fails to distinguish between a plant's special ability and a plant's special growth conditions
The author is comparing 2 incomparable situations - a special ability vs growth condition. He points out an invalid distinction.
So the option states that by comparing 2 incomparable conditions - he fails to distinguish the 2 for the correct reasons. Hence that's the answer.

Also why option E is incorrect,
compares two types of plants which rarely grow in similar conditions.. they might grow in the same soil, same temperature.
The sunflower facing the sun is a special ability that differs from growth of the sunflower as such.
(Option E does the same mistake as the author)

Originally posted by Bhu750 on 13 Aug 2021, 16:02.
Last edited by Bhu750 on 13 Aug 2021, 20:35, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Send PM
Bhu750 wrote:
mSKR wrote:
Hi IanStewart Maxximus

Quote:

Hi,

I am not an expert.. but this is what I think..

Option D - fails to distinguish between a plant's special ability and a plant's special growth conditions
The author is comparing 2 incomparable situations - a special ability vs growth condition. He points out an invalid distinction.
So the option states that by comparing 2 incomparable conditions - he fails to distinguish the 2 for the correct reasons. Hence that's the answer.

Let me give you my own example..

Also why option E is incorrect,
compares two types of plants which rarely grow in similar conditions.. they might grow in the same soil, same temperature.
The sunflower facing the sun is a special ability that differs from growth of the sunflower as such.
(Option E does the same mistake as the author)

Thanks for the feedback.

But as per the question , don't we need to find a flaw in argument . The argument flaw is : author compares wrong categories.

E option says: compare 2 plants --this is the flaw.
D says : doesn't distinguish between 2 plants ( D option doesn't say distinguish between CATEGORIES/phenomena). Is this the flaw that he didn't distinguish between plants? We can already deduce differencec between these plants.

I just want to make sure : Is D correct in wording or my understanding is wrong of the meaning of D.

AndrewN IanStewart : please share your opinion on meaning of D .

Thanks!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9439 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
IanStewart : please share your opinion on meaning of D .

It's a prep company question, so it's really not worthwhile expending a lot of effort trying to understand what it means. Official questions use language in a very precise way. Prep company questions are usually cavalier about word choice and sentence structure, and that's true of this question.

The question is trying to say: Sunflowers are able to turn towards the sun. That ability is called 'heliotropism'. Moss grows on trees away from the sun. So moss has the opposite ability, something we could call "contra-heliotropism".

That argument confuses two things. If you stick a sunflower in the ground somewhere, and the sun comes out from behind the clouds, the sunflower will move in the direction of the sun. But if you stick a tree with moss on it somewhere, and the sun comes out, the moss doesn't move around to the other side of the tree. Moss doesn't have any 'special ability', as far as moving towards or away from the sun goes. It's just that moss grows in the dark, not in the light. So that's why D is right.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6971 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

But as per the question , don't we need to find a flaw in argument . The argument flaw is : author compares wrong categories.

E option says: compare 2 plants --this is the flaw.
D says : doesn't distinguish between 2 plants ( D option doesn't say distinguish between CATEGORIES/phenomena). Is this the flaw that he didn't distinguish between plants? We can already deduce differencec between these plants.

I just want to make sure : Is D correct in wording or my understanding is wrong of the meaning of D.

AndrewN IanStewart : please share your opinion on meaning of D .

Thanks!

Hello, mSKR. I agree with the interpretation IanStewart provided above. Moreover, answer choice (C) is one of the most bizarre—clearly non-official—options I have ever seen. Are we supposed to know the entirety of the Latin lexicon to qualify whether contra-heliotropism is a legitimate word? The restrictive use of which in that answer choice and in (E) points to a source that is less likely American and thus equally unlikely to show up as is on the GMAT™. Do not get me wrong, I enjoy exploring new questions, and I even write some from time to time, but sometimes straying from official questions can, in fact, be more trouble than it is worth.

- Andrew
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9439 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
AndrewN wrote:
Moreover, answer choice (C) is one of the most bizarre—clearly non-official—options I have ever seen. Are we supposed to know the entirety of the Latin lexicon to qualify whether contra-heliotropism is a legitimate word?

Making answer C even more bizarre, "Helios" quite famously comes from Greek originally, not from Latin, though it did find its way into some Latin words eventually. And "contra-heliotropism" is a new word in English if it's a new word in any language -- the suffix "-ism" is not a Latin suffix (if the word were Latin, it might end in "-ismus", but not "-ism"). It's also unclear to me how answer C could ever be the right answer to a "what is wrong with the argument" question. There's no logical problem with coining new words. So I agree, one of the strangest answer choices I've seen!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
821 posts