It is currently 21 Jan 2018, 01:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 85

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 04:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (00:54) correct 24% (00:46) wrong based on 194 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their northern regions, to withdraw from his country.

(A) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(B) of the United States that it would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(C) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its
(D) that the United States encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(E) the United States to encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 85

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8575 [1], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)
Re: The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that th [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 06:08
This post received
KUDOS
There is simply no locus standi for the plural pronoun ‘their’ in this problem. So the choice falls between C and E. Choice C stats with the command subjective but skids on the verb of the subordinate clause by using the indicative mood “would encourage”, rather than the subjunctive” encourage”
On the contrary E uses the infinitive mood with the infinitive marker “to” (not the preposition to) and gives grammatical sanctity to the clause.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8575 [1], given: 366

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9787 [0], given: 1239

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 15:07
daagh wrote:
There is simply no locus standi for the plural pronoun ‘their’ in this problem. So the choice falls between C and E. Choice C stats with the command subjective but skids on the verb of the subordinate clause by using the indicative mood “would encourage”, rather than the subjunctive” encourage”
On the contrary E uses the infinitive mood with the infinitive marker “to” (not the preposition to) and gives grammatical sanctity to the clause.

But i'm not completely sure of that in fron of THE is wrong ??

Then C and D are wrong for other reasons but that the is not ackward per se ?'

what do you think daagh ????

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9787 [0], given: 1239

2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3673 [2], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2013, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
Rock750 wrote:
The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their northern regions, to withdraw from his country.

(A) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(B) of the United States that it would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(C) that the United States would encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its
(D) that the United States encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls their
(E) the United States to encourage Turkey, which invaded the island in 1974 and now controls its

IMO, E is correct.
"their" used in A, B, D is wrong ==> because "the island" should go with "its"
Down to C and E.

Wrong.

(1) Because of "that" ==> subjunctive for ==> "would" is used incorrect. The subjunctive formula is: [ subject + verb + that + subject + verb in simple form ] ==> C will be correct if "would" is eliminated. ==> C will be: X has asked that Y would encourage Z... to withdraw.

(2) C also changes meaning. The original meaning is like a command: X has asked Y to do ...... ==> "would encourage" is not appropriate

Correct. This is command sentence: X has asked Y to encourage Z.... to withdraw......

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3673 [2], given: 123

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1674 [0], given: 197

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 01:43
Rock750 wrote:

hi,
clearly as everybody said the use of their is wrong........and "its" is required to refer to united states as per the meaning,and united states is singular.

now we are left with C and E

In this option meaning comes out to be wrong.....it is like this:....the president asked that the united states would encourage......now here it is not clear to whom the president is asking?....but the intended meaning is president of cyprus asked the united states to encourage........
thats why this is wrong ....also as per daagh explanation : subjunctive form dont contain would or should.

therefore E becomes the right answer....

hope it helps.

SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Kudos [?]: 1674 [0], given: 197

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8575 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2013, 02:29
@Carcass

Subjunctive mood sentences are somewhat unusual in that they do not follow normal rules of grammar related to subject-verb and tense usage. Therefore, no woder taht they appear some what weird to the ears. But still they are grammatical.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8575 [0], given: 366

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2013, 17:53
Rock750 wrote:

Subject - Verb issue corners the option between C and E. Now C sounds that the president asked a 3rd entity to request US to intervene.However the sentence doesn't have a 3rd entity such as UN or UNESCO or some other organization hence it's out. E is clear ans concise in meaning and grammar. hence E.

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 12

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 06:10
I have a doubt.

If "D" has 'its" at the end would "D" be the answer for this

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1674 [1], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
rrkan wrote:
I have a doubt.

Yes rrkan if the option D has "its" ==> in this case option D will be correct.
since ASK can take both subjunctive verb and to - verb.

hope it helps.

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Web Development (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 07:19
shaileshmishra wrote:
rrkan wrote:
I have a doubt.

Yes rrkan if the option D has "its" ==> in this case option D will be correct.
since ASK can take both subjunctive verb and to - verb.

hope it helps.

The option [E] gives a parallel infinitive form of the verb in both the parts of the sentence i.e. "to encourage Turkey" and "to withdraw from", which no other choice provides. I believe that plays an imp factor in the choices as well and can be easily detected.

Please correct me if I am wrong!

Regards,
A

Feed me some KUDOS! :) :) *always hungry*

My Thread : Recommendation Letters

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
arpanpatnaik wrote:

The option [E] gives a parallel infinitive form of the verb in both the parts of the sentence i.e. "to encourage Turkey" and "to withdraw from", which no other choice provides. I believe that plays an imp factor in the choices as well and can be easily detected.

Regards,
A

hi ,
i got your point what you are thinking but in my opinion thats not the error i think.
whenever there is parallelism there must be a parallelism marker such as....and/or...etc.

now in the given sentence

The part starting with ..."which invaded........northern regions" is actually acting as modifier and is modifying turkey.
now if remove the modifier the sentence becomes
"The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that the United States to encourage Turkey to withdraw from his country.
now in this sentence between TO ENCOURAGE and TO WITHDRAW....there is no parallelism marker so as per my opinion it is not necessary to make them parallel and that is not the basis to eliminate.

hope it helps.

SKM

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 2441 [0], given: 219

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 07:36
arpanpatnaik wrote:

Regards,
A

Hi arpanpatnaik, that expression is not a form of parallelism.

Parallelism is used to express "parallel ideas" so "to encourage Turkey to withdraw from" is not Parallelism just because both have "to + VERB".

Example:
The US president in his last speech encourage Turkey to withdraw from the war, and to open its internal market to the world.

Here the speed encourages Turkey to do two things and those must be parallel
*to withdraw (...)
*to open (...)

In the above example "to encourage Turkey to withdraw" is not Parallelism, hope it's clear

And shaileshmishra correctly points out that parallelism is often marked by words such as "and, Both X and Y, or"

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 08:11
Zarrolou wrote:
arpanpatnaik wrote:

Regards,
A

Hi arpanpatnaik, that expression is not a form of parallelism.

Parallelism is used to express "parallel ideas" so "to encourage Turkey to withdraw from" is not Parallelism just because both have "to + VERB".

Example:
The US president in his last speech encourage Turkey to withdraw from the war, and to open its internal market to the world.

Here the speed encourages Turkey to do two things and those must be parallel
*to withdraw (...)
*to open (...)

In the above example "to encourage Turkey to withdraw" is not Parallelism, hope it's clear

And shaileshmishra correctly points out that parallelism is often marked by words such as "and, Both X and Y, or"

Ohh I am sorry I think my post was misleading. Actually by parallel i meant the structures of both the parts i.e.
to encourage Turkey
to withdraw...

are in agreement. They are both in 'Infinitive Form'. All the other choices, do not offer that option. My objective was never to question the idea movement, I was just referring to those structures(form of the verb) being similar or parallel :) The structure agreement is what strikes instantaneously when you see the choices and can be used to determine the answer a lot faster :)

Regards,
Arpan

VP
VP

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 08:19
arpanpatnaik wrote:

Ohh I am sorry I think my post was misleading. Actually by parallel i meant the structures of both the parts i.e.
to encourage Turkey
to withdraw...

are in agreement. They are both in 'Infinitive Form'. All the other choices, do not offer that option. My objective was never to question the idea movement, I was just referring to those structures(form of the verb) being similar or parallel :) The structure agreement is what strikes instantaneously when you see the choices and can be used to determine the answer a lot faster :)

Regards,
Arpan

Those verbs could be similar, but NOT parallel. By itself this is not a good point to discard/accept an option

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2013, 08:27
Zarrolou wrote:
arpanpatnaik wrote:

to encourage Turkey
to withdraw...

Regards,
Arpan

Those verbs could be similar, but NOT parallel. By itself this is not a good point to discard/accept an option

My bad! I thought that it was a valid approach :) Well I guess as mentioned in the previous posts, considering the use of plural pronoun 'their' is the distinguishing factor, and as ' pqhai ' has elaborated in his post [C] can be eliminated as well!

Thanks Zarrolou! :) *Shailesh too! :)*

Regards,
A

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 22:05
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1179 [0], given: 327

WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 08:05
Rock750 wrote:

Their has no clear referrent, and between (C) & (E) , correct answer must be (E) for the highlighted errors in the options...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1179 [0], given: 327

SVP
SVP
G

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2406

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 22:51
this question comes from Kaplan advanced book of 700-level questions.
The difficulty level should be changed.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
WE: Analyst (Internet and New Media)

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:07
E, because it is concise and correct idioms

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 19

SVP
SVP
G

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 00:22
soumya2504 wrote:
E, because it is concise and correct idioms

but the pronoun "it" is quite ambiguous, pls elaborate your answer.

Re: The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 00:22

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

The recently reelected president of Cyprus has asked that

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap