Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 17:24 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 17:24
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33220 [4]
Given Kudos: 4498
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [1]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Send PM
Re: The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this ye [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this year are evident in all the participants’ average weight, which reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first 2 months of the program after it increased by 8% in the last three years.

A. which reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after it increased
B. which had reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after it had increased
C. which has increased by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after increasing
D. with a 7kg reduction on an average during the first two months of the program after increasing
E. with a 7kg reduction on an average during the first two months of the program after having increased

GMAT VERBAL Daily Challenge RC/CR/SC (2022) Project

carcass

Help us with the official explanation.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4581 [2]
Given Kudos: 1857
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this ye [#permalink]
Kudos
ElninoEffect wrote:
carcass wrote:
The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this year are evident in all the participants’ average weight, which reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first 2 months of the program after it increased by 8% in the last three years.

A. which reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after it increased
B. which had reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after it had increased
C. which has increased by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after increasing
D. with a 7kg reduction on an average during the first two months of the program after increasing
E. with a 7kg reduction on an average during the first two months of the program after having increased

which is modifying average weight. it symbolizes average weight. average weight increased in past so correct tense has been used.
Everything looks fine.

Timeline is distorted by the use of two past perfect tense, now we can't say which event happened first.

Average weight has reduced not increased.

1)by removing almost we are adding certainty to the statement which changes the meaning.
2)Also now meaning is ambiguous - with a 7kg reduction on an average on what.? Weight or average weight.
3) What is increasing.?

Same as D

Option A - Doesn't the use of past tense ('reduced') indicate that the action is over in the past ?

IMO A implies, the weight reduced by almost 7kg (and the participants are no longer experiencing any weight reduction now). This seems incorrect.

I think there is a typo in C (should be "which has increased reduced", but grammatically C is better than A.

Thoughts?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [0]
Send PM
The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this ye [#permalink]
AbhiroopGhosh wrote:
ElninoEffect wrote:
carcass wrote:

which is modifying average weight. it symbolizes average weight. average weight increased in past so correct tense has been used.
Everything looks fine.

Timeline is distorted by the use of two past perfect tense, now we can't say which event happened first.

Average weight has reduced not increased.

1)by removing almost we are adding certainty to the statement which changes the meaning.
2)Also now meaning is ambiguous - with a 7kg reduction on an average on what.? Weight or average weight.
3) What is increasing.?

Same as D

Option A - Doesn't the use of past tense ('reduced') indicate that the action is over in the past ?

IMO A implies, the weight reduced by almost 7kg (and the participants are no longer experiencing any weight reduction now). This seems incorrect.

I think there is a typo in C (should be "which has increased reduced", but grammatically C is better than A.

Thoughts?

Hey AbhiroopGhosh

My whole reasoning of choosing A was it was better than all the other options and i never ever dreamed that C would be the answer it just doesn't make sense.

Now coming to your question, I decoded the meaning as the average weight reduced by almost 7 kg on average in the first 2 months of the program (which started earlier this year, hence past) after(denoting timeline) it increased by 8% in the past three years. - So since the weight increased in the past the use of past tense seemed correct to me.

No doubt if C had used decreased it's better than A but the meaning is entirely opposite right now.

I always give preference to meaning over grammer.

Now you tell me where i am at fault.? :lol:

Originally posted by ElninoEffect on 06 Jan 2022, 14:37.
Last edited by ElninoEffect on 06 Jan 2022, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Re: The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this ye [#permalink]
AbhiroopGhosh

Quote:

The thing is participants saw the results; they already lost almost 7 kg during the first 2 months
we are not given on which month we are in the question but we can infer that these 2 months during which participants lost weight ended. Also we are not given further info whether they are still experiencing weight lost, even if they do they may very well lost more than 7kg, implying that they no longer experience 7 kg of weight loss, but rather they experience weight loss of more than 7 kg maybe 10 maybe 15 dunno...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33220 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
Here there is a lot what the GMAT is in its essence.

On one hand, we solve the question using our knowledge of the grammar rules: in A we do have the past tense that clearly indicates an action or something in the past completely and stop. Instead in C, we do have a tense that indicates the action is happening after a specific event in the past. The usage of the present perfect tense is appropriate.

Now this is the most beautiful part of the whole story. IF you stick using ONLY and SOLELY the grammar rules you never score high. You do not need the Official explanation either. you need your logic

Only seeing IT in A you do have a red flag: it stands for what ? KG? average ? or program ?

Also the phrase is basically the following:

the program,

1) whose results
2) and that was launched

ended with blah blah = a specific weight

The program, blah blah ..............which reduced ?? what reduces ?? itself and its average? or weight ??

The results of X >>>> show us >> Y and Y , that comes AFTER X and is the weight, has increased!!!!

Pretty straight

Hope this helps
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4581 [4]
Given Kudos: 1857
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Kudos
ElninoEffect wrote:
Hey AbhiroopGhosh

My whole reasoning of choosing A was it was better than all the other options and i never ever dreamed that C would be the answer it just doesn't make sense.

Now coming to your question, I decoded the meaning as the average weight reduced by almost 7 kg on average in the first 2 months of the program (which started earlier this year, hence past) after(denoting timeline) it increased by 8% in the past three years. - So since the weight increased in the past the use of past tense seemed correct to me.

No doubt if C had used decreased it's better than A but the meaning is entirely opposite right now.

I always give preference to meaning over grammer.

Now you tell me where i am at fault.? :lol:

Hey ElninoEffect gloomybison,

Thanks for responding ! Appreciate sharing your thoughts and line of reasoning.

While I am not a verbal expert (in fact light years away from being one :lol: ) sharing my thoughts in a bit detail. Please pardon my ignorance and correct me where you guys feel my thoughts have gone wrong.

Here are my two cents on the sentence. I generally break the sentence and read. The original sentence is presented in blue font and my thinking is in italics-

The results of the recent diet program that

The sentence presents result of a recent diet program

Let me read further ..

was launched early this year

The program was launched early this year.
The relative pronoun 'that' refers to the program

are evident in all the participants’ average weight

The program was launched early this year, but the results are still evident as of the time the sentence was made.
So, there is a connection between some past event and the present moment.
'May be' the sentence uses present perfect tense. Let me read further ...

which reduced by almost 7kg on an average during the first 2 months of the program

The relative pronoun which refers to the weight.
So the weight of the participants reduced by almost 7 kgs during the first 2 months of the program
The reduction of the weight is probably a part of the results that we were presented in the non underlined portion. The effect of the weight reduction is still felt, however the use of past tense gives an impression that the action is over. The use of present perfect tense can resolve this.

For ex: I have eaten my dinner.
The action of eating is over in the past, however I can feel its effect (may be I am full).

after it increased by 8% in the last three years.

'it' refers to the weight of the participants
so .. the weight reduced after it increased by 8% in the last three years
in the last three years - is a timeframe. Past tense is used to denote an action at a particular time in the past.
As we a referring to a duration here , may be a better construction can be made

To sum up - there were two key areas in the sentence which was the basis of selecting C -
1) use of 'are evident', indicating that the effect is still relevant in the time the sentence is made
2) use of a past time frame 'in the last three years.'

C resolves both the above points

The results of the recent diet program that was launched early this year are evident in all the participants’ average weight which has increased by almost 7kg on an average during the first two months of the program after increasing by 8% in the last three years.

I agree that C is not logically correct with the usage of "increased by almost 7kg"; however, if I consider that to be a typo error, the grammatical construction of the sentence seemed right to me.

P.S. - Again, I am not an expert so I wouldn't be surprised if the explanation is totally off :D
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 33220 [0]
Send PM
Top Contributor
OE

Quote:
The hint in this sentence is the underlined verb "reduced". Since this verb has different forms all throughout the sentence and since all of them are in different tenses, we can conclude that the concept tested is tenses.

Option A: Inappropriate usage of the simple past tense as the action is happening after a specific event in the past. The usage of present perfect tense is appropriate.
Option B: Inappropriate usage of the past perfect tense as the action is happening after a specific event in the past. The usage of present perfect tense is appropriate.
Option C: Right Answer
Option D: No usage of present perfect tense.
Option E: No usage of present perfect tense.
Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Also in Option A, shouldn't there be "which is reduced" instead of "which reduced" to make it logical past tense?
...weight, which reduced... ---> weight is reducing something
e.g. Govt reduced tax rates
...weight, which is reduced...---> weight itself is reduced by some other factor
e.g. Water level in a well is reduced due to less rain

Can anyone clear this doubt?
Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6954 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts