GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 07:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 21 Oct 2013
Posts: 411
The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 13:50
28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

74% (02:54) correct 26% (03:09) wrong based on 217 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form rectangle Y and by b to form rectangle Z. a times the area of X is 10, and b times the area of X is 5. If the difference in area between Y and Z is 300, what is a - b?

A. 5
B. 20
C. 30
D. 50
E. 60

Set sides of rectangle X are L and W
Area of X: = LW Area of Y = (aL)(aW) = a^2 * LW Area of Z = (bL)(bW) = b^2 * LW a times area X = aLW = 10 b times area X = bLW = 5
Which means that difference between Y and Z = aaLW – bbLW = 300.
And since you're looking to solve for a - b, you can try to get a and b alone by factoring out the common LW terms:
LW(a^2 - b^2) = 300
Which gives you the Difference of Squares setup that allows you to get (a - b) alone:
LW(a + b)(a - b) = 300
Then you should see that if you distribute LW across the first set of parentheses, you can get aLW and bLW, for which you have actual values:
(aLW + bLW)(a - b) = 300
(10 + 5)(a - b) = 300 15(a - b) = 300 (a - b) = 20


Hi, I want to know if we have the simpler solution, please
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9700
Location: Pune, India
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2014, 21:35
6
2
goodyear2013 wrote:
The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form rectangle Y and by b to form rectangle Z. a times the area of X is 10, and b times the area of X is 5. If the difference in area between Y and Z is 300, what is a - b?
5
20
30
50
60

Set sides of rectangle X are L and W
Area of X: = LW Area of Y = (aL)(aW) = a^2 * LW Area of Z = (bL)(bW) = b^2 * LW a times area X = aLW = 10 b times area X = bLW = 5
Which means that difference between Y and Z = aaLW – bbLW = 300.
And since you're looking to solve for a - b, you can try to get a and b alone by factoring out the common LW terms:
LW(a^2 - b^2) = 300
Which gives you the Difference of Squares setup that allows you to get (a - b) alone:
LW(a + b)(a - b) = 300
Then you should see that if you distribute LW across the first set of parentheses, you can get aLW and bLW, for which you have actual values:
(aLW + bLW)(a - b) = 300
(10 + 5)(a - b) = 300 15(a - b) = 300 (a - b) = 20


Hi, I want to know if we have the simpler solution, please


Assume the side of rectangle X is s.

X (side s, area s^2)
Y (side as, area (as)^2)
Z (side bs, area (bs)^2)

Given: \(as^2 = 10\), \(bs^2 = 5\) ..........(I)
\((as)^2 - (bs)^2 = 300\)
\(s^2 (a+b)(a-b) = 300\) ...........(II)

We need to find (a-b).
From (I), \(as^2 + bs^2 = 15 = s^2(a+b)\) (you do this because you need to get rid of s^2 and (a+b) in equation (II) above)
Substitute this in (II) to get \(15*(a-b) = 300\)
(a-b) = 20
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Taking GMAT
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, International Business
Schools: Kellogg '17
GMAT Date: 06-15-2014
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 00:02
1
2
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form rectangle Y and by b to form rectangle Z. a times the area of X is 10, and b times the area of X is 5. If the difference in area between Y and Z is 300, what is a - b?
5
20
30
50
60

Set sides of rectangle X are L and W
Area of X: = LW Area of Y = (aL)(aW) = a^2 * LW Area of Z = (bL)(bW) = b^2 * LW a times area X = aLW = 10 b times area X = bLW = 5
Which means that difference between Y and Z = aaLW – bbLW = 300.
And since you're looking to solve for a - b, you can try to get a and b alone by factoring out the common LW terms:
LW(a^2 - b^2) = 300
Which gives you the Difference of Squares setup that allows you to get (a - b) alone:
LW(a + b)(a - b) = 300
Then you should see that if you distribute LW across the first set of parentheses, you can get aLW and bLW, for which you have actual values:
(aLW + bLW)(a - b) = 300
(10 + 5)(a - b) = 300 15(a - b) = 300 (a - b) = 20


Hi, I want to know if we have the simpler solution, please


Assume the side of rectangle X is s.

X (side s, area s^2)
Y (side as, area (as)^2)
Z (side bs, area (bs)^2)

Given: \(as^2 = 10\), \(bs^2 = 5\) ..........(I)
\((as)^2 - (bs)^2 = 300\)
\(s^2 (a+b)(a-b) = 300\) ...........(II)

We need to find (a-b).
From (I), \(as^2 + bs^2 = 15 = s^2(a+b)\) (you do this because you need to get rid of s^2 and (a+b) in equation (II) above)
Substitute this in (II) to get \(15*(a-b) = 300\)
(a-b) = 20


Did you consider a rectangle as a square? Because if it is a rectangle then the sides may or may not be equal. Please clarify.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: The Best Or Nothing
Joined: 27 Dec 2012
Posts: 1751
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 02:23
Every square is a rectangle however every rectangle need not be a square.
Considering the same, the answer comes up correct = 20 = Answer = B

_________________
Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2012
Posts: 232
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 07:56
it doesn't matter here if its a square o rectanlge value gets replaced later. take it as s^2 or a*b
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Taking GMAT
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4
Location: United States
Concentration: Operations, International Business
Schools: Kellogg '17
GMAT Date: 06-15-2014
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2014, 10:54
b2bt wrote:
it doesn't matter here if its a square o rectanlge value gets replaced later. take it as s^2 or a*b

Agreed, it gets cancelled, sorry for the trouble :oops:
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9700
Location: Pune, India
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2014, 19:41
1
Fantabulous wrote:
Did you consider a rectangle as a square? Because if it is a rectangle then the sides may or may not be equal. Please clarify.


I have assumed that the rectangle is a square since square is also a type of rectangle (but I see I missed writing it).
It is a PS question so it will have a unique answer. This means a - b will be the same for every such group of rectangles. So we can easily take one such group such that the rectangles are squares to make our calculations easier.
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.67
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 19:32
Could you please let me know why you do not distribute the s^2 through the parenthesis? I asked this in my own topic but it has since been locked and no further information was provided to me except to link to this thread.

\(s^2(a+b)(a−b)=300\) ...........(II)

Why does this not simplify to:
\(15∗s^2a−s^2b)\)

veritas-prep-the-sides-of-rectangle-x-are-each-multiplied-by-a-to-for-196927.html
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 9700
Location: Pune, India
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2015, 20:30
2
willowtree2 wrote:
Could you please let me know why you do not distribute the s^2 through the parenthesis? I asked this in my own topic but it has since been locked and no further information was provided to me except to link to this thread.

\(s^2(a+b)(a−b)=300\) ...........(II)

Why does this not simplify to:
\(15∗s^2a−s^2b)\)

veritas-prep-the-sides-of-rectangle-x-are-each-multiplied-by-a-to-for-196927.html


\((a+b)*(a-b) = a^2 - b^2\)
You can simplify this to \(s^2a^2 - s^2b^2 = 300\) but how will that take you to the answer? You need the value of \((a - b)\) so you need to get rid of only \(s^2(a+b)\).
_________________
Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Current Student
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Jul 2017
Posts: 292
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 03:57
1
1
Let rectangle X length=l width=w => Area = l*w
So now: rectangle Y length=a*l width=a*w => Area =a^2* l*w
rectangle Z length=b*l width=b*w => Area =b^2* l*w

given: a* Area of X = 10 = a*l*w
b* Area of X = 5 = b*l*w

so we can write a*l*w+b*l*w=10+5
=> l*w(a+b)=15

Also given => Area of Y - area of Z = 300 = a^2*l*w -b^2*l*w

so lw(a^2-b^2)=300
=> l*w(a+b)(a-b)=300
=> 15 (a-b)=300
=> (a-b)= 20


Answer: B
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 264
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 05:11
1
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
goodyear2013 wrote:
The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form rectangle Y and by b to form rectangle Z. a times the area of X is 10, and b times the area of X is 5. If the difference in area between Y and Z is 300, what is a - b?
5
20
30
50
60

Set sides of rectangle X are L and W
Area of X: = LW Area of Y = (aL)(aW) = a^2 * LW Area of Z = (bL)(bW) = b^2 * LW a times area X = aLW = 10 b times area X = bLW = 5
Which means that difference between Y and Z = aaLW – bbLW = 300.
And since you're looking to solve for a - b, you can try to get a and b alone by factoring out the common LW terms:
LW(a^2 - b^2) = 300
Which gives you the Difference of Squares setup that allows you to get (a - b) alone:
LW(a + b)(a - b) = 300
Then you should see that if you distribute LW across the first set of parentheses, you can get aLW and bLW, for which you have actual values:
(aLW + bLW)(a - b) = 300
(10 + 5)(a - b) = 300 15(a - b) = 300 (a - b) = 20


Hi, I want to know if we have the simpler solution, please


Assume the side of rectangle X is s.

X (side s, area s^2)
Y (side as, area (as)^2)
Z (side bs, area (bs)^2)

Given: \(as^2 = 10\), \(bs^2 = 5\) ..........(I)
\((as)^2 - (bs)^2 = 300\)
\(s^2 (a+b)(a-b) = 300\) ...........(II)

We need to find (a-b).
From (I), \(as^2 + bs^2 = 15 = s^2(a+b)\) (you do this because you need to get rid of s^2 and (a+b) in equation (II) above)
Substitute this in (II) to get \(15*(a-b) = 300\)
(a-b) = 20


Another way of doing this..

Let the original sides be x and y ---- area = \(xy\)

For Rectangle X -- ax and ay ---- area = \(a^2xy\)

For Rectangle Y -- bx an by ---- area = \(b^2xy\)

Now, it's given that

\(axy = 10\)
Thus
\(a = \frac{10}{(xy)}\)

Similarly we can write for Z as

\(bxy = 5\)
Thus
\(b = \frac{5}{(xy)}\)

It can clearly be seen that

\(a = 2b\)

Substituting "axy" in the original area equation..we can see that the area of X can be written as = 10a
Similarly for B it can be written as = 5b

Difference in areas

\(10a - 5b = 300\)

Using value of a as 2b, we get

b = 20
a = 40
Thus
a-b = 20
(B)
_________________
Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Status: Gathering chakra
Joined: 05 Feb 2018
Posts: 433
Premium Member
The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 29 Sep 2019, 11:00
Area X = l*w
l*w*a = 10
l*w*b = 5
Dividing the first by the second, we know that a/b = 2, so a=2b

Difference in area: l*w*a^2 - l*w*b^2 = 300
Substituting the above: 10*a - 5*b = 300
2a - b = 60
Since we know a=2b from above, 3b = 60
b = 20, so a = 40
40 - 20 = 20

Originally posted by energetics on 17 Jun 2019, 14:53.
Last edited by energetics on 29 Sep 2019, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Sep 2016
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GRE 1: Q160 V147
GPA: 3.98
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2019, 22:39
Let, each side of X =1, area = 1
So, each side of Y = a *1=a, and area=a^2
each side of Z = b*1= b, and area =b^2
As per question, a^2-b^2 =300
=> (a+b) (a-b) =300 => (10+5) (a-b)=300
So, (a-b)= 20.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2019, 22:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The sides of rectangle X are each multiplied by a to form re

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne