Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [42]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [11]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [1]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
The two-digit positive integer s is the sum of the two-digit positive [#permalink]
Kudos
Pls Note: This is the solution from Manhattan Advanced Quant book which has been slightly modified by me for simpler and better understanding.

Try out a few randomly-chosen numbers to help you understand the question.
If m = 10 and n = 10, then s = 20 and the units digits of m and s are equal.
If m = 11 and n = 12, then s = 23 and the units digit of s is greater than the units digit of m.
If m = 19 and n = 11, then s = 30 and the units digit of s is less than the units digit of m.

Basically, if the units digits of m and n are zero, then
the units digit of s will be equal to the units digit of m (and of n), i.e. zero.
If the units digits are very small i.e. say one is 5 or less and other is 4 or less and vice versa then the units digit of s is or greater than both m and n.

On the other hand, if the units digits of m and n are large enough to cause you to “carry over” a 1 to
the tens digit, then the units digit of s will end up being smaller than the units digit of m (and of n).

So the important point to note is will there be an aforesaid "carry over"? lets analyze these two statements in this context:-

(1) SUFFICIENT: If the units digit of s is definitely less than the units digits of one of the smaller
numbers, then the “carry over” situation must apply, in which case the units digits of both m and n
must be larger than the units digit of s.

(2) SUFFICIENT: There are only two ways in which the tens digit will not equal the tens digits of the
two smaller numbers:
Case 1: The tens digits of the two smaller numbers result in a number that needs to carry over into the
hundreds digit. This is impossible for this problem because s is also a two-digit number.
Case 2: The units digits of the two smaller numbers result in a number that carries over into the tens
digit. This must be what is happening in this case. If so, then the units digit of the larger number, s,
must be smaller than the units digits of the two smaller numbers, m and n.

The correct answer is (D).

Originally posted by CAMANISHPARMAR on 20 May 2018, 05:54.
Last edited by CAMANISHPARMAR on 20 May 2018, 08:25, edited 2 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: The two-digit positive integer s is the sum of the two-digit positive [#permalink]
I had searched with "The two-digit positive integer s is the sum of the two-digit positive" before posting but in vain.

Maybe the search engine of gmatclub needs to be improved.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619260 [0]
Send PM
Re: The two-digit positive integer s is the sum of the two-digit positive [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Krishaa12 wrote:
What about 70+10

Posted from my mobile device

For which statement?

For (1) m + n = 70 + 10 = 80 = s, is not possible because (1) say that the units digit of s is less than the units digit of n, which does not hold for your example.

For (2) m + n = 70 + 10 = 80 = s, is not possible because (2) say that the tens digit of s is not equal to the sum of the tens digits of m and n., which does not hold for your example.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 481 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
1) The units digit of s is less than the units digit of n

Unit digit of s is less than n then it is surely case of carry over.
Then definitely unit digit of m is greater than that of s
Sufficient

2) The tens digit of s is not equal to the sum of the tens digits of m and n.

Means carry over case, then in such cases resulting unit digit is less than two digits.
Means unit digit of s is less than both m and n

Sufficient

D is answer

Give kudos if it helps

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Send PM
Hi,

from the text we get that

m+n=s, let m=10a+b, n=10a'+b', then

10(a+a')+(b+b')=s

Case 1: b+b'>=10 -> (a+a') <=8
Case2: b+b'<=9 -> (a+a') <=9

We are asked if

UD(s)<UD(m)
UD(s)<b?

(1) UD(b+b')<UD(n)=b
-> b+b'>=10 -> (b,b')=(1,9),(2,8),(2,9),... which all fulfill the required

(2) This is another way of saying b+b'>=10, and following the argument in (1), we get the result again

Hence (D), no guarantees
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
For statement 1, what about m=49, n=39? It doesn't say that the unit digits should be unique. In that case, s = 49+39 = 88, this will be another scenario. Why are we not taking it into consideration, am I missing something?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92948 posts