GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 16:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

65% (02:27) correct 35% (02:30) wrong based on 506 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer whales, which migrate there during the summer. Wildlife parks that rely on the killer whales for entertainment hunt the killer whale almost exclusively in the water of Iceland, because strict sanctions forbid them from doing so off the coast of North America, an area also abundant in killer whales. Since Iceland recently gave into pressure from international groups opposed to the hunting of killer whales, it too will forbid the hunting of killer whales off its coast. Therefore, all wildlife parks will be forced to end their shows featuring killer whales once their current killer whales are unable to perform.

All of the following cast doubt on the conclusion of the argument EXCEPT?

A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range.
B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada.
C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales.
D) Some wildlife parks are involved in the illegal trade of killer whales.
E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves.

Simple way to always control time during the quant part.
How to solve main idea questions without full understanding of RC.
660 (Q48, V33) - unpleasant surprise
740 (Q50, V40, IR3) - anti-debrief ;)

Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer wha  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 11:59
The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer whales, which migrate there during the summer. Wildlife parks that rely on the killer whales for entertainment hunt the killer whale almost exclusively in the water of Iceland, because strict sanctions forbid them from doing so off the coast of North America, an area also abundant in killer whales. Since Iceland recently gave into pressure from international groups opposed to the hunting of killer whales, it too will forbid the hunting of killer whales off its coast. Therefore, all wildlife parks will be forced to end their shows featuring killer whales once their current killer whales are unable to perform.

(A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range.

(B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada.

(C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales.

(D) Some wildlife parks are involved in the illegal trade of killer whales.

(E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves.

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE: Sales (Consulting)
The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2015, 23:37
A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range. - Weakens the conclusion: hunters can hunt in Greenland
B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada. - Weakens: hunters can hunt in Canada
C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales. - Weakens: PODs lead to birth of Killer whale young ones. So their population can continue in captivity.
D) Some wildlife parks are involved in the illegal trade of killer whales - Weakens : Parks can get KWhales through illegal channels, hence running the park as usual.
E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves. : Strengthens: Cove hunting is banned across the globe. So hunters cannot catch K whales anywhere in the world

Kudos Please
if you find my question / solution helpful.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.58
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 01:24
Please see below for the responses. :-D

Harley1980 wrote:
>> Conclusion: all wildlife parks will come to an end as they could not expand the current population of killer whales.
=> Weakener= Anything makes us doubtful about this scenario. What if X/Y/Z occurs, then the situation would be blah blah?

A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range. Wow, the ban is not that comprehensive. We could still capture some whales outside the restricted area. This is a Weakener.
B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada.Hmm, the new prime minister will forfeit the ban. This obviously is a Weakener
C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales.Oh, so the current whales in the parks give births. The park could last a little bit longer than previously thought. This is another Weakener
D) Some wildlife parks are involved in the illegal trade of killer whales.The staffs in the parks are not law-abiding citizens, so they could expand the population of the whales via illegal trade. This is a Weakener
E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves.Hmmmm, wait, wha..t! Could not relate this information to the logical reasoning behind the argument.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Re: The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2015, 14:51
tuanquang269 wrote:

(A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range.

(B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada.

(C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales.

(E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves.

Topics merged. tuanquang269, please search for a question and make sure it is not already posted in this forum before starting a brand new thread for the question.
Thanks,
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V34

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2016, 07:49
IMO : E

A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range.
There is another source through which killers whales can be obtained. Hence Weakens

B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada.
There is another source through which killers whales can be obtained.Hence Weakens

C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales.
Birth rate is high, thus no possible extinction of the killer whales at wild park. Hence Weakens

D) Some wildlife parks are involved in the illegal trade of killer whales.
There is another source through which killers whales can be obtained.Hence Weakens

E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves
Doesn't help in strengthen nor weaken.

I'm happy, if I make math for you slightly clearer
And yes, I like kudos
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 21:00
mikemcgarry wrote:
Topics merged. tuanquang269, please search for a question and make sure it is not already posted in this forum before starting a brand new thread for the question.
Thanks,

Hi Mike,
I am not intend to break your suggestion,
I searched the topic through both Magoosh questions and whole forum, only this topic is about killer whales, that's why I ask your help here.

Magoosh wrote:

Mike, I am sunk in B, E and genuinely want your explain, thank in advance.

B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada
I picked it up. because, the territory is Canada, while the territories are Iceland and North America in the argument, So IMO, no matter how ban is lifted, the ban is valid only in Canada, thus, B does not weaken.

E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves.
IMO, E slightly weaken, because E states that it is another method that hunters lure killer whales into cover due to the low likelihood in deep water, no matter the how the effect is , luring killer whales into coves indicates a hope to hunt,

B VS E, I picked up B.

please point out my fault
thanks a lot

have a nice day.
>_~
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2016, 15:35
zoezhuyan wrote:

Hi Mike,
I am not intend to break your suggestion,
I searched the topic through both Magoosh questions and whole forum, only this topic is about killer whales, that's why I ask your help here.

Mike, I am sunk in B, E and genuinely want your explain, thank in advance.

B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada
I picked it up. because, the territory is Canada, while the territories are Iceland and North America in the argument, So IMO, no matter how ban is lifted, the ban is valid only in Canada, thus, B does not weaken.

IMO, E slightly weaken, because E states that it is another method that hunters lure killer whales into cover due to the low likelihood in deep water, no matter the how the effect is , luring killer whales into coves indicates a hope to hunt,

B VS E, I picked up B.

please point out my fault
thanks a lot

have a nice day.
>_~

Dear zoezhuyan,

My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, you posted your question exactly where you should. It's always good thing to add your own questions to a thread that already exists. The problem action, which you did not do, is to open a new thread about a question that has already been posted in another thread. That's when I have to merge two different threads. You did nothing wrong: this is exactly where you should post your questions. :-)

My friend, are you aware that Canada is in North America? In fact, by total area, it's the largest country in North America, larger than the USA. If Canada allowed hunting, then it would be allowed in part of North America. That's a weakener directly relevant to the argument.

My friend, one thing you definitely need to know, for the GMAT and for business school, is the general layout of the world map. If a question says the name of a country, such as Nigeria or Guyana or Belarus, you need to know which continent it is one and have a rough idea about where it is. You don't need to be able to fill out a blank world map and have that detailed knowledge of exactly what borders what in each place, but you definitely need to recognize the name of any country as a country and know approximately where it is. That is absolutely essentially in the modern international business world.

If you read the business and international news--great practice for everything on the GMAT Verbal--you will encounter the names of many countries. If a country is unfamiliar, read up on it. It's very good to have a sense of the general situation of different parts of the world before you go to business school.

Does all this make sense?

Have a wonderful day, my friend! :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 01:12
mikemcgarry wrote:
Dear zoezhuyan,

My friend, are you aware that Canada is in North America? In fact, by total area, it's the largest country in North America, larger than the USA. If Canada allowed hunting, then it would be allowed in part of North America. That's a weakener directly relevant to the argument.

My friend, one thing you definitely need to know, for the GMAT and for business school, is the general layout of the world map. If a question says the name of a country, such as Nigeria or Guyana or Belarus, you need to know which continent it is one and have a rough idea about where it is. You don't need to be able to fill out a blank world map and have that detailed knowledge of exactly what borders what in each place, but you definitely need to recognize the name of any country as a country and know approximately where it is. That is absolutely essentially in the modern international business world.

If you read the business and international news--great practice for everything on the GMAT Verbal--you will encounter the names of many countries. If a country is unfamiliar, read up on it. It's very good to have a sense of the general situation of different parts of the world before you go to business school.

Does all this make sense?

Have a wonderful day, my friend! :-)

Hi Mike,
:oops: so embarrassed that I have mistakenly viewed North America as a north area of America for so many years.. :oops:

thanks so much for your remind.
I will strengthen my general layout of world map...

have a nice day
>_~
SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2018, 07:27
Premise: Park need KW. they find it from Iceland. rest NA, its banned. How they will get Whales now?
Conclusion: if they will not able to get whales then show must be closed.

pre-thinking: Find one that is not weakening the conclusion. means which is either saying that show will go on or one that is not doing anything at all. 4 answers will do this rest one will be the answer.

A) The recent ban only extends to within one hundred miles of Iceland, though killer whales are plentiful along the shores of Greenland, which fall outside this range. --- get the whale from here and show will go on.
B) The incoming prime minister of Canada, who is more conservative, is planning on lifting the ban on hunting killer whales off the coast of Canada.--- so get the whales from shores of canada, show will go on agian.
C) In-park killer whale births have become increasingly common, especially in those wildlife parks that harbor a large number of killer whales.--- so new babies will grow up and show will go on with them.
D) Some wildlife parks are involved in the illegal trade of killer whales. --- so get them illegally and show will go on.
E) It is nearly impossible to catch killer whales in deep waters, so hunters typically rely on luring killer whales into coves. --- i looked up the meaning of coves. A cove is a small type of bay or coastal inlet. obviously it will be around some shore. but shores(they fall on these countries) have banned the hunting. this should be the answer

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2018, 18:11

Official Explanation
Answer: (E)

The argument states that the only place wildlife parks can find killer whales is off the coast of Iceland, yet, with an imminent ban there, wildlife parks will be unable to replenish their respective in-park killer whale populations. Eliminate all the answer choices that call this conclusion into question.

(A) provides a source of killer whales (Greenland), thereby weakening the conclusion.

The argument states that North America is also abundant in killer whales. If Canada lifts its ban, then wildlife park can find killer whales there. (B) is out.

(C) provides a great place to replenish the killer whale population: the park itself. Therefore, (C) directly attacks the argument that wildlife parks will run out of killer whale.

(D) provides a clear means by which parks will acquire killer whales despite all the bans.

(E) does not provide a new means by which parks will acquire new killer whales. It only describes how killer whales are generally caught. Therefore (E) is the answer.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer &nbs [#permalink] 15 Aug 2018, 18:11

The waters off the coast of Iceland are filled with pods of killer

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap