GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 12:18

Gmatbusters' Weekly Quant Quiz

Join here 

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

The Why us question

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User
The Why us question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2018, 18:36
Hi

I am currently trying to align my career options with business schools I should apply to.
Granted that most school try to provide an equal offering of various subject matters, however some areas tend to be stronger than others.
Hence, this would be one of the valid reasons to pick school x over y.

Can any of the Adcoms amend my findings of relative strengths of listed schools. Also, any suggestions for schools based on my career options would be most welcome.

Career options:
Energy Politics
General Management (GM)
Enterprise/Startup
VC
Strategy Consultant

Schools
Stanford - Enterprise/GM
INSEAD - Consultancy
Haas - Energy/GM
McCombs - Energy
Babson - Enterprise
Ross - GM
Darden - ?
Emory - ?
CEIBS - ?
Melbourne Business School - ?
Queens (Canada) -
??

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks
Admission Consultant
P
Re: The Why us question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2018, 23:10
shahMeet wrote:
Hi

I am currently trying to align my career options with business schools I should apply to.
Granted that most school try to provide an equal offering of various subject matters, however some areas tend to be stronger than others.
Hence, this would be one of the valid reasons to pick school x over y.

Can any of the Adcoms amend my findings of relative strengths of listed schools. Also, any suggestions for schools based on my career options would be most welcome.

Career options:
Energy Politics
General Management (GM)
Enterprise/Startup
VC
Strategy Consultant

Schools
Stanford - Enterprise/GM
INSEAD - Consultancy
Haas - Energy/GM
McCombs - Energy
Babson - Enterprise
Ross - GM
Darden - ?
Emory - ?
CEIBS - ?
Melbourne Business School - ?
Queens (Canada) -
??

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.

Thanks

Hi Shahmeet,
Your career goals should not change across business schools. your future career goals are built on your past work experience, the skills you have built up already and what you are passionate about doing in the future. The last bit can not change if you are really passionate about a goal.

Changing your goal for every b-school will be disastrous because you will not own any goal and will therefore not be convincing in the application.
Example: there is a huge difference in entrepreneurship and consulting. If you've got to be an entrepreneur, you've gotta be one. There should be no stopping you, specially the choice of b-school should not stop you. You can become one from any business school where you go. However, if you are certain to get into entrepreneurship, then selecting a b-school which will offer you ample resources is the right strategy.

So, figure out what your strengths and passion are and then frame your goals. Stick to them for every business school where you apply.

Another thing- your list is too long. Applying to 5-8 business schools is a good number.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

SVP
SVP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: The Why us question  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2018, 03:27
Trying to apply to Business Schools without having your goals figured out is like trying to get a job without having the location chosen it's impossible to get any traction. So I would work with a career coach, do some assessments, research via informational interviews... do whatever you need to do to get clarity on that that and then move forward because there's really no point in doing an MBA unless you're clear on what you're trying to make manifest by doing an MBA....it's too expensive for you to just show up and hope for the best. Ready Aim Fire...not Ready Fire Aim.

http://mbaprepcoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Why us question &nbs [#permalink] 29 Jul 2018, 03:27

The Why us question

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap