GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 07:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (00:41) correct 14% (00:43) wrong based on 244 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Project SC Butler: Day 67: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s proposed molecular structure was in fact accurate.

A. like it is affirmative that
B. as if to affirm
C. to affirm that
D. affirmative of
E. like an affirmation of

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Anderson '21, LBS '21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 09:30
The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s proposed molecular structure was in fact accurate.

A. like it is affirmative that : awkward construction and i think affirmative to/of is supposed to follow.
B. as if to affirm :Seems +as if to affirm : sounds redundant
C. to affirm that : Correct
D. affirmative of : Noun is expected but what follows in the question seems incorrect to me.
E. like an affirmation of : Noun is expected .Same as that of option D

Please correct me anywhere i am incorrect in my opinion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 11:44

A. like it is affirmative that( seems like is incorrect)
B. as if to affirm ( seems as is ok but if to affirm is not correct)
C. to affirm that ( correct)
D. affirmative of ( seems to or seems as)
E. like an affirmation of ( seems like is not correct)

Will go with choice C

Thanks
G
GPA: 3.87
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2019, 12:22

Let's try to capture meaning first.
X-ray analysis was commenced. Based on this analysis we assert Edward Abraham’s proposed molecular structure to be true.
(p.s. analysis - singular, analyses - plural)

("it" - refers to? - placeholder?, "it is affirmative" - together wants to say somthing is true, "seems like" in the given context sounds questionalble, too wordy construction)

B. as if to affirm
("as if" - a conjunction used to imply that something is far fetched or never going to happen, not much sutable in the given contxt)

C. to affirm that
(simple and clear, "to verb" - shows that analysis affir or declare positively that molecular structure was in fact accurate)

D. affirmative of
(as comparing to (C) cloudy answer, not wrong gramatically, but (C) is better)

("seems like" in the given context sounds questionalble, not good enough in comparison with (C)

So C in the asnwer

(no one is ideal, please correct if you see any mistakes or gaps in my explanation, it will be helpful for both of us, thank you)

It is pointless to try to study if it is not fun, then it becomes a chore. At that point, you will either hate your studies or became afraid of them.
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 10:55
The correct usage of verb Seems is "Seems to", so Option C correctly states "seems to Affirm that" .
So, Option C is clear,straight and correct.
Current Student
G
Status: No matter how bad it is or how bad it gets: I am going to make it.
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE: Sales (Other)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2019, 14:56

A. like it is affirmative that( incorrect)
B. as if to affirm ( does not feel like as construction )
C. to affirm that ( correct)
D. affirmative of ( sadj does not work here)
E. like an affirmation of ( no way)

choice C

Thanks
_______
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2019, 08:35
aragonn wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 67: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

B. as if to affirm
C. to affirm that
D. affirmative of

The best/excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed.
There may be no best/excellent answers, or a there may be a few excellent answers!

Official Explanation:

The verb “seems” should be followed by “to”, which eliminates answers (A), (D), and (E). The word “affirm” needs to be followed by the word “that” in order to introduce the next section of the sentence, which eliminates answer (B) and leaves us with (C).

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51 | Time management

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2019, 08:35

The X-ray analysis seems like it is affirmative that Edward Abraham’s

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics