It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 18:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 978 [0], given: 1

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 05:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:36) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
B. enormously in that a single tree, dependent on its size and also on climate and altitude, is able to produce
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce
D. enormously, because a single tree, being dependent on its size, climate, and altitude, is capable of producing
E. enormously, because a single tree, dependent both on its size as well as on climate and altitude, could produce

Please explain your answer. Also, i've noticed that some correct answers would use the "because" right after a comma. for example: "........, because......). shouldn't "because" be referring to the clause before it, therefore the comma should rather be removed? aren't you separating the "because" from the clause before it when you place a comma right before "because."? Please explain why is it appropriate or when is it appropriate to place a comma before "because." thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Because vs in that [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:10
Is it E, running for a meeting now...will explain once I am back..

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:11
"In that" and "Because" are interchangeable. However "because" is more formal so preferred by GMAT. Thereby A and B is eliminated.
E uses wrong "both as well as".
D false parallelism being...producing.
C seems correct. "depending..." acting as subordinate to main clause.

"Because" can be used in both ways. E.g.

Because I am hungry, I need food.
I need food, because I am hungry.

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:20
A for me. All other options have the meaning changed.

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:35
OA is C. Regarding the use of "because", I think I can disagree with you. I remember I read a book that said:

1) dependent clause + , + independent clause.

2) independent clause + dependent clause

so:

1) Because I am hungry, I need food.

a) "Because I am hungry" is a dependent clause

b) "I need food" is an independent clause

2) I need food, because I am hungry

so why do we have an independent clause followed by a comma before the dependent clause in this second example??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:45
dam...in a hurry I did not look at depending/dependent between c and e.
:wall

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 06:53
tarek99 wrote:

Also, i've noticed that some correct answers would use the "because" right after a comma. for example: "........, because......). shouldn't "because" be referring to the clause before it, therefore the comma should rather be removed? aren't you separating the "because" from the clause before it when you place a comma right before "because."? Please explain why is it appropriate or when is it appropriate to place a comma before "because." thanks

to quote:
When because follows a negated verb phrase, it must be preceded by a comma when the because clause explains why the event did not occur. They didn’t want her on the committee, because she was so outspoken means roughly “Her outspokenness was their reason for not wanting her on the committee.” When there is no comma, the because clause is included in what is being negated. Thus They didn’t want her on the committee because she was so outspoken implies that they may in fact have wanted her on the committee but for some reason other than her outspokenness.

See this for details : http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/015.html

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 07:13
thanks alpha_plus_gamma, but correct me if i'm wrong. It looks to me that when you place a comma before "because", then whatever is the reason after that would be coming from the prospective of the author of this sentence? whereas a "because" without the comma would mean that whatever is the reason after "because" would be the reason coming from the subject mentioned in the sentence? is that basically what it means? because we don't really have a negated verb in this question.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 10:53
Umm, I saw this exact question on my exam last week...where you getting these from?

Anyway, I agree with you that the "I need food because I am hungry" sentence is not correct when a comma is used (as in, "I need food, because I am hungry").* But I think that the comma is used before "because" in the coffee berry sentence because it denotes the secondary importance of the "because..." clause.

I also think that a major difference between the "I need food because I am hungry" sentence and this one is length and complexity. The use of the sub-clause "depending on its size and on climate and altitude" makes it necessary to use a comma. If the sentence did not contain this sub-clause (as in, "The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously because a single coffee tree is able to produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year"), it might be possible to omit the comma.

However, I think I would use a comma in this sentence even in that case, because it seems that the emphasis of the sentence is on the fact that the yield per acre varies, with the explanation of why this is being a secondary consideration. In comparison, in the "I need food because I am hungry" case, the emphasis really is on the relationship between the hunger and the need for food. In the coffee berry sentence, "because" is actually being used more in the sense of "as" or "since." (Try replacing "because" with one of those words, and see if you get what I am saying.) I don't know if that usage is strictly correct, but you should know that that it is fairly common.

*http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_comma.html :
"Don't put a comma after the main clause when a dependent (subordinate) clause follows it (except for cases of extreme contrast).

1. She was late for class, because her alarm clock was broken. (incorrect)"

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 14:06
you've seen this question on your exam?? really?? I found this question from the file that sondenso, who attached it and also claimed that they were questions from the GMATprep. You will find his file full of SC questions from the GMATprep. On the overall verbal page of the gmatclub, you will find the first sticky topic from sondenso called "My Contribution to GmatClub Verbal". Go there and you will find all the questions from the GMATprep including this one that I've posted for you guys.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 14:16
Oh, well I guess it is quite possible that the GMAT Prep questions and the actual test questions are blurring together in my mind.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 14:37
It should be because -> A, B are out
"being" -> D out
"dependent" -> E is out

C is correct

Kudos [?]: 195 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2008, 17:36
kelli, it looks to me from your explanation that the "because" clause in this question is used as a non-essential clause? that would suggest to be the case since you've asked me to compare the usage of "because" to other words such as "as" and "since". Am I right by saying that?

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 04:02
could someone pls explain why 'depending' vs 'dependent' is reqd? all i could figure out is that adjectives can only modify nouns vs verbs/adverbs modify everything else..right?

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 06:13
What is wrong in A??

In that is wrong?

or

could produce?

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 3

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 07:29
zoltan wrote:
What is wrong in A??

In that is wrong?

or

could produce?

I would say "Could produce" should be the perfect thing here bit that is is making the SC awakward.

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 7

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2008, 08:30
I believe A is wrong because the word of "both" was used incorrectly.

Examining closely, is there also a ||ism issue with A?

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce enough berries to make between one and twelve pounds of dried beans a year.

A. enormously in that a single tree, depending on both its size and on climate and altitude, could produce
C. enormously, because a single tree, depending on its size and on climate and altitude, is able to produce

rao_1857 wrote:
zoltan wrote:
What is wrong in A??

In that is wrong?

or

could produce?

I would say "Could produce" should be the perfect thing here bit that is is making the SC awakward.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2008, 05:26
Hi Terek99,

I cannot find the sticky you talked about by sodenso

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Because vs in that   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2008, 05:26

The yield per acre of coffee berries varies enormously in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap