GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 07 Aug 2020, 02:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 00:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

35% (02:53) correct 65% (03:05) wrong based on 85 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of two colors, red or green. It is observed that 2/7 of the balls that have red color also have green color, while 3/7 of the balls that have green color also have red color. What is the probability that a ball randomly picked from the jar will have both red and green colors?

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

V
There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 05:37
LevanKhukhunashvili wrote:
My skills were torn apart while tackling this question; very tough one.

I'm not gifted to see any shortcuts or to feel myself in the skin of "overlapping sets". Greetings "Brute Force", my old friend.

If g is the number of green balls and r is the number of red balls
g+\(\frac{5r}{7}\)=58 (we know that \(\frac{2r}{7}\) balls have both colors, so only red will be 1-\(\frac{2}{7}\)=\(\frac{5}{7}\))
r+\(\frac{4g}{7}\)=58

Two equations, two unknowns --> child game, BUT I could not solve for g and r. Maybe I go wrong somewhere, maybe these two equations are not correlated, I can't say.

In the first equation, I just inserted multiples of 7 for r, so I deduced to r=42 g=28
58=42+28-both
Both=12

Probability of picking multi-color ball: \(\frac{12}{58}\)=\(\frac{6}{29}\)

IMO
Ans: D

Sir chetan2u if you find some time, maybe you can introduce some light in this "dark" question

Hi..
You have gone correct till the equations are formed...
Now total are 58 balls...
If 2/7 of red are painted blue too, so 5r/7 are painted only red.
So total =58=g+5r/7

Now the balls painted with both colors are equal to 2r/7 and 3g/7, so both have to be equal.. 2r/7=3g/7 or r=(3/2)g..
Now substitute this value in any of the equations..
g+\(\frac{5r}{7}\)=58....g+\(\frac{5}{7}*\frac{3g}{2}\)=58.......g+\(\frac{15g}{14}\)=58..........\(\frac{29g}{14}\)=58...g=58*14/29=28..

So, both =3g/7=3*28/7=12

Probability=12/58=6/29
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 01:16
Bunuel wrote:
There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of two colors, red or green. It is observed that 2/7 of the balls that have red color also have green color, while 3/7 of the balls that have green color also have red color. What is the probability that a ball randomly picked from the jar will have both red and green colors?

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

GMATinsight
sir how can we solve this question using cases or pairs ?

my take below:
total red with green ; 2/7 and only red ; 5/7
total green with red ; 3/7; only green ; 4/7
total balls = 58
probability that a ball randomly picked from the jar will have both red and green colors

total both ; 2/7+3/7 ; 5/7

I am not able to solve this question any further .. :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 05:10
My skills were torn apart while tackling this question; very tough one.

I'm not gifted to see any shortcuts or to feel myself in the skin of "overlapping sets". Greetings "Brute Force", my old friend.

If g is the number of green balls and r is the number of red balls
g+\(\frac{5r}{7}\)=58 (we know that \(\frac{2r}{7}\) balls have both colors, so only red will be 1-\(\frac{2}{7}\)=\(\frac{5}{7}\))
r+\(\frac{4g}{7}\)=58

Two equations, two unknowns --> child game, BUT I could not solve for g and r. Maybe I go wrong somewhere, maybe these two equations are not correlated, I can't say.

In the first equation, I just inserted multiples of 7 for r, so I deduced to r=42 g=28
58=42+28-both
Both=12

Probability of picking multi-color ball: \(\frac{12}{58}\)=\(\frac{6}{29}\)

IMO
Ans: D

Sir chetan2u if you find some time, maybe you can introduce some light in this "dark" question
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Status: GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator l A motivator and an Optimist :)
GMAT: QUANT EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 05:12
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

Please check the solution as per attachment

Answer: Option D

Archit3110
Attachments

File comment: www.GMATinsight.com
Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 6.44.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-04-16 at 6.44.57 PM.png [ 144.89 KiB | Viewed 2176 times ]

One-on-One Skype classes l Classroom Coaching l On-demand Quant course l Admissions Consulting

Most affordable l Comprehensive l 2000+ Qn ALL with Video explanations l LINK: Courses and Pricing
Click for FREE Demo on VERBAL & QUANT
Our SUCCESS STORIES: From 620 to 760 l Q-42 to Q-49 in 40 days l 590 to 710 + Wharton l
FREE GMAT Resource: 22 FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CATs LINKS l NEW OG QUANT 50 Qn+VIDEO Sol.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 06:52
GMATinsight ; great solution sir, thanks.. :)

GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

Archit3110
Intern
Intern
B
Re: There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 17:50
Honestly, I got stuck on this one. So when I noticed that 29 is the only factor of 58 that shows up in the denominators of the answers, I just guessed that one. It worked.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 04:43
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

Archit3110

Thank you for the solution GMATinsight but why is the sum of balls not 58? (R=21 , B=14 and R+G=6) . I am confused.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
V
Status: GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator l A motivator and an Optimist :)
GMAT: QUANT EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE: Education (Education)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 04:50
neha283 wrote:
GMATinsight wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

Archit3110

Thank you for the solution GMATinsight but why is the sum of balls not 58? (R=21 , B=14 and R+G=6) . I am confused.

Hi neha283

That number 58 is actually a redundant information for this question.

Because we only needed a ratio of two numbers in same units.

However to avoid your doubts.

What I assumed
R=21 is actually R=42
G=14 is actually G = 28
And Common balls instead of 6 is 12

So total balls = 42+28-12 = 58

I hope this helps now... :)
One-on-One Skype classes l Classroom Coaching l On-demand Quant course l Admissions Consulting

Most affordable l Comprehensive l 2000+ Qn ALL with Video explanations l LINK: Courses and Pricing
Click for FREE Demo on VERBAL & QUANT
Our SUCCESS STORIES: From 620 to 760 l Q-42 to Q-49 in 40 days l 590 to 710 + Wharton l
FREE GMAT Resource: 22 FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CATs LINKS l NEW OG QUANT 50 Qn+VIDEO Sol.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 18:01
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

We and let r, g, and b be the number of balls that have red color only, green color only, and both colors, respectively. We can create the equations:

r + g + b = 58,

b = (2/7)(r + b)

And

b = (3/7)(g + b)

Let’s simplify the second equation by multiplying it by 7:

7b = 2r + 2b

5b = 2r

r = (5/2)b

Likewise, let’s simplify the third equation by multiplying it by 7:

7b = 3g + 3b

4b = 3g

g = (4/3)b

So plug (5/2)b for r and (4/3)b for g into the first equation, we have:

(5/2)b + (4/3)b + b = 58

15b + 8b + 6b = 58 x 6

29b = 58 x 6

b = 2 x 6 = 12

Therefore, the probability of picking a ball with both colors is 12/58 = 6/29.

Answer: D

250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 06:11
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

We and let r, g, and b be the number of balls that have red color only, green color only, and both colors, respectively. We can create the equations:

r + g + b = 58,

b = (2/7)(r + b)

And

b = (3/7)(g + b)

7b = 2r + 2b

5b = 2r

r = (5/2)b

7b = 3g + 3b

4b = 3g

g = (4/3)b

(5/2)b + (4/3)b + b = 58

15b + 8b + 6b = 58 x 6

29b = 58 x 6

b = 2 x 6 = 12

How did you arrive at the two equations Sir ?
Can we solve this using an easier alternate method ?
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2020, 09:55
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

I would like to offer a solution WHICH DOES NOT INVOLVE ANY SKILL RELATED TO PROBABILITY.
The set of answer choices provided makes the problem very easy.

I noticed one of the posts which has this sentence: "That number 58 is actually a redundant information for this question".
However, with the given set of answer choices, one only needs to know that “There are 58 balls in a jar.”

Whatever probability is requested, it is sure that the value can be represented as a fraction - which has 58 in the denominator and any number between 1 and 58 in the numerator.

The simplified form of the fraction can only have 2 values:
58 IF NUMERATOR IS ODD
29 IF NUMERATOR IS EVEN
(you can pick any number at random and verify this.)
Therefore, the answer will have either 29 or 58 in the denominator.

If there be an answer choice such as 15/58 then the approach could be different.
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2020, 03:25
ishitadas1994@gmail.com wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 6/14
(B) 2/7
(C) 6/35
(D) 6/29
(E) 6/42

r + g + b = 58,

b = (2/7)(r + b)

And

b = (3/7)(g + b)

7b = 2r + 2b

5b = 2r

r = (5/2)b

7b = 3g + 3b

4b = 3g

g = (4/3)b

(5/2)b + (4/3)b + b = 58

15b + 8b + 6b = 58 x 6

29b = 58 x 6

b = 2 x 6 = 12

How did you arrive at the two equations Sir ?
Can we solve this using an easier alternate method ?

Response:

First, notice that r denotes the number of balls that have only red color, g denotes the number of balls that have only green color and b denotes the number of balls that have both red and green colors. The total number of balls is red only + green only + both; therefore, the total number of balls is r + g + b. The first equation is obtained by simply equating this quantity to 58.

For the equation b = (2/7)(r + b), we use the sentence “2/7 of the balls that have red color also have green color.” Notice that the balls that have red color is r + b (i.e. only red + both) and if a ball that contains the red color also contains the green color, then it contains both colors. Thus, 2/7 of r + b should equal b and that’s how we obtain the equation (2/7)(r + b) = b. The equation b = (3/7)(r + b) is obtained similarly.

Alternate Solution:

As an alternate solution, let the number of balls that have both the colors be 6n. We choose the coefficient 6 because LCM(2, 3) = 6. Since 2/7 of the balls that have red color also have green color, there are 6n / (2/7) = 7 * 3n = 21n balls with red color (including the ones which also have green color). Similarly, since 3/7 of the balls that have green color also have red color, there are 6n / (3/7) = 7 * 2n = 14n balls with green color (including the ones which also have red color). We will use the following formula:

Total = #(red) + #(green) - #(both)

58 = 21n + 14n - 6n

58 = 29n

n = 2

Thus, there are 6n = 6*2 = 12 balls containing both colors. Since the total number of balls is 58, the probability that a randomly selected ball contains both colors is 12/58 = 6/29.

250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2020, 03:25

There are 58 balls in a jar. Each ball is painted with at least one of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics