GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2018, 11:23
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

31% (00:46) correct 69% (00:46) wrong based on 253 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance being one reason.

A Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance being one reason.

B Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance is only one of them.

C Huckabees; Jason Schwartzman's performance, for one.

D Huckabees, the performance of Jason Schwartzman is one of them.

E Huckabees, including Jason Schwartzman's performance.

testguide
Intern
Intern
B
Re: There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2018, 19:28
What is the explanation for rejecting other options and accepting E ?

Posted from my mobile device
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2018, 21:33
A Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance being one reason. - 'being' is used as a modifier here. In GMAT, 'being' is used in conjunction with a verb and not as a modifier

B Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance is only one of them. - 2 independent clauses are connected using FANBOYS rule or a semicolon. Here the 2 independent clauses are connected using comma.

C Huckabees; Jason Schwartzman's performance, for one. - The dependent clause is connected using semicolon.

D Huckabees, the performance of Jason Schwartzman is one of them - Same as B

E Huckabees, including Jason Schwartzman's performance. - Correct

Answer: E

todarmal wrote:

Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 00:19
Including in E clearly modifies reasons and is expressing the meaning in less words and subtle manner

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 05:21
I didn't get why C is incorrect. Can you please explain reasoning for each and every option?
Intern
Intern
B
There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 07:23
Vyshak wrote:
A Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance being one reason. - 'being' is used as a modifier here. In GMAT, 'being' is used in conjunction with a verb and not as a modifier

B Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance is only one of them. - 2 independent clauses are connected using FANBOYS rule or a semicolon. Here the 2 independent clauses are connected using comma.

C Huckabees; Jason Schwartzman's performance, for one. - The dependent clause is connected using semicolon.

D Huckabees, the performance of Jason Schwartzman is one of them - Same as B

E Huckabees, including Jason Schwartzman's performance. - Correct

Answer: E

todarmal wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Can you paste any article on modifiers. I am not able to relate to the concept by which you are trying to explain the rejection of option A.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 08:09
SugandhaM wrote:
I didn't get why C is incorrect. Can you please explain reasoning for each and every option?

This should answer you doubts https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/commas/ with respect to OPTION C
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V33
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2018, 09:37
When it comes to C when a semi colon is separating 2 sentences the sentences must be related and independent clauses . Here the second sentence is dependent and hence it cannot be joined by a semicolon however a colon can be used here . Read up on usage of semicolon and colon to understand this better

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2018, 17:31
The main rule to think about here is that we use a semicolon to separate independent clauses (parts that could stand alone as a complete sentence.) B and D both incorrectly use a comma for this purpose, while C incorrectly uses a semicolon when the following portion is NOT an independent clause.

A is actually not terrible. I imagine the author found it awkward/wordy, or relied on the idea that "being" tends to be wrong. However, I'm not sure we can argue that E is definitively better than A here. In fact, one could argue that it's problematic to use the modifier "including" so far from the thing it's modifying (reasons). Don't love this? That's why it's best to study from official sources for SC.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 01:46
chesstitans wrote:
There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance being one reason.

A Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance being one reason.

B Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's performance is only one of them.

C Huckabees; Jason Schwartzman's performance, for one.

D Huckabees, the performance of Jason Schwartzman is one of them.

E Huckabees, including Jason Schwartzman's performance.

In option A, B, and D two ICs are connected with comma only. This is not correct. We need a conjunction after comma.

In C, semicolon is used to connect a DEPENDENT CLAUSE with an IC.

E is correct using VERB-ing modifier "including" to modify the action/result of the preceding clause

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p &nbs [#permalink] 01 May 2018, 01:46

There are many reasons to see I Heart Huckabees, Jason Schwartzman's p

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap