GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 630
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Sep 2017, 02:41
4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:48) correct 30% (02:21) wrong based on 368 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.
(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.
(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.
(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.
(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.

Source: LSAT

Originally posted by vineetgupta on 04 Dec 2006, 12:42.
Last edited by broall on 23 Sep 2017, 02:41, edited 2 times in total.
Reformatted question, OA added
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2011
Posts: 300
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2012, 14:55
4
The conclusion: no official confirmation of scientific work is not a problem because replication will sort out any inconsistencies.

Any answer choice that shows the replication process is somehow faulty will be sufficient to weaken the conclusion.

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

If (A) is true, then the potential inconsistencies can go undetected for years. Such an occurrence can be very harmful. Essentially, erroneous information is being bandied about for years before any follow-up experiments can show this to be the case. Therefore, replication can only be successful if it is actually employed, and (A) successfully weakens the conclusion.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

This does not address the argument.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

This answer choice would strengthen the argument, if anything. Even less need for confirmation.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

While this may be true, the argument contends that replication will take care of this careless reporting.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.

This does not address the argument.
_________________
Christopher Lele
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2006
Posts: 53
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2006, 19:23
vineetgupta wrote:
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.
Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?
(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.
(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.
(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.
(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.
(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.

Please give reasons for ur choice....



Argument is : There is no reason to confirm the work of the scientist becuase there is a system which keeps track of replications.So when other scientists come up with different results the previous results will be disconfirmed.

A: Irrelevant because the work can go unchallenged even after the results have been confirmed and published. History has shown several theories were proved wrong decades after they were published.

B: S

C:W

D,E:Irrelevant

C
_________________
------------------------------------------------------
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Posts: 658
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2006, 22:14
joinforum wrote:
vineetgupta wrote:
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.
Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?
(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.
(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.
(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.
(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.
(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.

Please give reasons for ur choice....



Argument is : There is no reason to confirm the work of the scientist becuase there is a system which keeps track of replications.So when other scientists come up with different results the previous results will be disconfirmed.

A: Irrelevant because the work can go unchallenged even after the results have been confirmed and published. History has shown several theories were proved wrong decades after they were published.

B: S

C:W

D,E:Irrelevant

C


I think A is the answer because, for years scientists and public at large might consider findings of a particular publication as true and spend their time, funds, and energy inappropriately. Hence, there is a reason to confirm the work of the scientist.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Sep 2006
Posts: 130
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2006, 22:27
I think A

C strengthen the argument
_________________
livin in a prison island...
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 905
Location: Bangalore
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2006, 01:12
1
Give me A!
- B, C Irrelevant.
B: Quite obviously
C: The fact that most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to replication does not say whether unconfirmed results are harmful or not.
- D Irrelevant comparison
- E : I took awhile to eliminate this. But I guess this strengthens the argument. If most scientists work is teams then they could already be verifying each others results. So no need for explicit replication. I know this is a bit far fetched but it does not weaken the argument for sure!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2009
Posts: 186
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2012, 04:58
Straight A.

If scientists' work can go on for several years without being verified? Then that weakens the assertion that scientists' work should not be scrutinized.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
_________________
+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2012
Posts: 59
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2013, 05:24
POE leads to E.

Conclusion: Formal system for approving or disproving is not required.

We have to find the flaw in argument. A gives the flaw.
Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 4253
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 10:27
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.
_________________
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 383
Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2015, 22:27
1
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published.

P1: There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists.
P2: Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful.
P3: It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.
>>Strengthen.
(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.
>>Strengthen
(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.
>> Irrelevant.
(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.
>> Irrelevant
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 27 Aug 2014
Posts: 70
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2015, 00:15
ChrisLele wrote:
The conclusion: no official confirmation of scientific work is not a problem because replication will sort out any inconsistencies.

Any answer choice that shows the replication process is somehow faulty will be sufficient to weaken the conclusion.

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

If (A) is true, then the potential inconsistencies can go undetected for years. Such an occurrence can be very harmful. Essentially, erroneous information is being bandied about for years before any follow-up experiments can show this to be the case. Therefore, replication can only be successful if it is actually employed, and (A) successfully weakens the conclusion.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

This does not address the argument.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

This answer choice would strengthen the argument, if anything. Even less need for confirmation.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

While this may be true, the argument contends that replication will take care of this careless reporting.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.

This does not address the argument.


Hi Chris

Need your help. It is in these types of easy questions where I falter. First I short-listed A and E and finally went for E. My thought process was even if theories go unchallenged for years, still we cant say that replication method is of no use and has failed. I also cant assume a theory gone unnoticed will be harmful-may or may not. I eliminated A for this and went for E thinking if scientists work in teams, it may not be possible to identify the one at fault and the culprit can go unnoticed every time.

I think I tend to complicate questions or have a tendency to think too much and so I am suffering with CR. Can you give some advice? How to address this issue? Tx.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2012
Posts: 9
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 19:08
Could anyone please explain further on this??

There is no mention of any time frame on any of the premises.

Can someone also specify what is wrong with option E?

Can the "other" scientists mentioned in the premise not be part of the group??
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2016
Posts: 23
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2016, 12:16
gmater12 wrote:
Could anyone please explain further on this??

There is no mention of any time frame on any of the premises.

Can someone also specify what is wrong with option E?

Can the "other" scientists mentioned in the premise not be part of the group??


In "Weaken" questions - The idea is to attack the argument - i.e. conclusion. Always write the goal of the weakening. The goal in this case is : There is a reason that the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published.

This reason (one of the possible reasons) is highlighted in option A. Option E only mentions that scientists work as a part of team rather than alone. This aspect doesn't give any reason for the scientists' work to be officially confirmed. (Working as a part of team can lead of confirmation or disconfirmation of the work. No clear cut position)

Hope this helps.
_________________
Jamboree GMAT Instructor

Rohit Ghosh
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Jamboree Course Reviews | Try 2 of our classroom classes for free before you have to pay
Get GMAT Club Tests for free when you sign up for any Jamboree course. Request access
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 269
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 06:59
souvik101990 wrote:
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.


Can Someone explain why option C is Incorrect!
_________________
"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!
Board of Directors
User avatar
D
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 4765
Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Feb 2016, 11:14
smartguy595 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be officially confirmed before being published. There is a system in place for the confirmation or disconfirmation of scientific finding, namely, the replication of results by other scientists. Poor scientific work on the part of any one scientist, which can include anything from careless reporting practices to fraud, is not harmful. It will be exposed and rendered harmless when other scientists conduct the experiments and obtain disconfirmatory results.

Which one of the following, if true, would weaken the argument?

(A) Scientific experiments can go unchallenged for many years before they are replicated.

(B) Most scientists work in universities, where their work is submitted to peer review before publication.

(C) Most scientists are under pressure to make their work accessible to the scrutiny of replication.

(D) In scientific experiments, careless reporting is more common than fraud.

(E) Most scientists work as part of a team rather than alone.


Can Someone explain why option C is Incorrect!



Option (C) States scientists are under pressure , there can be 2 possible outcomes of working under pressure -

1. Scientists can be cautious of their work , be very careful and produce accurate results.
2. Scientists can go unnerved and commit some errors.

If scientists are cautious of their work , very careful then there is no need of scrutinizing of replication of their work, however if they are go unnerved and commit errors then it needs to be checked and requires replication by other scientists before they are published.

This option doesn't produce a way way answer ( whether there is requirement/replication of experiments by scientists ) hence we can negate this answer.

_________________
Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 169
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 08:44
How does option C strengthen the conclusion? Please explain??
GMAT Club Bot
Re: There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be   [#permalink] 08 Mar 2019, 08:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There is no reason why the work of scientists has to be

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne