It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 05:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time Management - Mainly Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Business Development (Transportation)
Time Management - Mainly Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 04:15
Hello Experts

I wanted to know any definite strategy that can be followed to solve the wordy CR (500 words) and RC questions. It is costing me lots of time at times and hurting my tempo at the time of exam!

While at the time of solving 700-800 level practice questions, my accuracy is somewhat 80 t0 85% if no timer, but in a time-bound situation (say I allow my self 1.5 minutes to solve each question- sample for 15 OG questions), my accuracy drastically drops down to 55 to 60%, which is frustrating. That is precisely the motif of GMAT. Without 90% accuracy, i do not stand any chance of acing it. I want to be at 95% accuracy in 1 minutes 30 seconds (average) in verbal. I guess then only i will be able to score very high.

I have found that may be my reading speed is moderate (100- 120 words in one minute) and when the timer is ticking backwards I am unable to conclude the conclusion or the supporting ideas and my answers are wrong. Any help here at this root level (maybe altering my reading speed ) will also be appreciated.

If any good soul can help me, in finding a comprehensive strategy way to achieve above 40 and closer to 45 in verbal, I will be thankful.

Quants seem fine as far as timing is concerned but any suggestions there to achieve 51 there will be great. I am stuck at 48. I generally have five minutes of spare time at the end of the quant section.

Mock - 1 ( Manhattan) Q- 48, V-34 / 680 ( Section order - Verbal/ Quant / IR/ AE)

I will be taking rest Manhattan & Veritas mocks from tomorrow till i hit above 750, then will schedule GMAT!

thanks
Subhankar

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 11

Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Time Management - Mainly Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

As far as your quant is concerned, if you are getting 48-49 consistently in Manhattan tests, it's a good sign, since Manhattan quant is considered to be tougher in comparison to the questions you encounter in the actual test. However, I would suggest you to analyze what's your weaker area. Since you are able to complete the entire question set before the prescribed time-limit, I would advise you to spend more time on DS, as it can be very tricky sometime and silly mistakes in that might be bringing your score down.

For Verbal , you need a more structured approach. It's possible to reduce time-consumption in SC questions, as they are more mechanical in nature. Try to achieve under-one minute for each SC question as it will give you more time for other sections. For CR, pre-thinking and process of elimination work wonders. You can find a lot of posts in this forum prescribing the same approach and it does work.

For RC, I will suggest yo to make notes while you go about reading the paragraphs, as it helps in establishing a clearer picture. Again, there are many posts in this forum with alternative approaches that work for people. It's more of a personal preference and what works for you. I have used this strategy over and over again and it has been immensely beneficial. It might seem counter-intuitive, but making notes actually saves time because it helps you remember things quickly and you will not have to re-read the passage while attempting individual questions. So, try different approaches and see what works best for you.

Good Luck

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 11

Intern
Intern
B

Concentration: Technology, Leadership
WE: Business Development (Transportation)
Re: Time Management - Mainly Verbal [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 00:41
Hey

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Indeed i will.

Taking notes- it is really counter-intuitive i must say bud. Though i am yet to be at par to get 90% of the tough rc / cr questions right all the time ( i am still at 50%), definitely now i am understanding the passages wrt answering questions, which is some improvement. Will try to get more out of it through understanding the mistakes in fundamentals which is explained in answer solutions. I am referring to OG (2018, 2017, 2016, 2013), Wileys - hard problem explanations because that is what gmat will be looking for in the exam itself ( Though there is an overlap but yet i am getting those wrong ). I am keeping the error log of hard RCs and one interesting observation is that though i am able to remember the previously done rc main idea/details about it in bits and pieces/ questions, still i am getting the questions wrong in second time. I think that it lies in trick questions that gmat creates and a confusing vortex of solutions choices test makers create. I plan to review these difficult twice or thrice.

P.S. - After posting this, I did a little research on my own in the world of GMATclub for the strategies (bb, vercules, souvik1990 and others ) and found lots of helping strategies. It will help me to form my own. I am following and trying to impart those to my nerve to build the pre-requisite gmat mental muscle. Hope i will be close to V45 in two weeks time!

Re: Time Management - Mainly Verbal   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2017, 00:41

Time Management - Mainly Verbal

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap