It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 20:43

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 0

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2007, 22:30
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:15) correct 51% (01:23) wrong based on 276 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega Corporation, the sum of an employee's age, in years, and the number of years employment must be at least 70. If x, where x <70, is a certain employee's age when hired and y is the minimum number of years of employment required for the employee to be eligible for retirement benefits, which of the following equations represents the relationship between x and y?

A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Nov 2012, 02:29, edited 2 times in total.
OA added

Kudos [?]: 11 [2], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2007, 01:56
i agree that B is the answer. However, the listed answer is D. I am trying to figure out why. Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2007, 07:40
Its is x+2y because age increases as long he is employed...if I am employed for 20years my age also increased by 20 years

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

[#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2007, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
in task they are talking about present age, but x is defined as age when hired. You have to add y to x to receive the present age and once more to add y to receive 70.
So that's D.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1168 [1], given: 39

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 12:34
This post received
KUDOS
Employee's age + years of employment = 70
At the joining his age was y years and he did job y years. So, the employee's current age = y+y = 2y
(employee's age when hired + years of employment) + years of employment = 70
(x + y ) + y =70
x + 2y =70

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Kudos [?]: 1168 [1], given: 39

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 14:05
What is the OA? I think its B. I tried plugging in #'s real quickly to see if it could be the other eqns but did not get it. I tried to keep my time below 2 mins

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135562 [3], given: 12699

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2012, 17:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
AzWildcat1 wrote:
What is the OA? I think its B. I tried plugging in #'s real quickly to see if it could be the other eqns but did not get it. I tried to keep my time below 2 mins

OA is D.

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega Corporation, the sum of an employee's age, in years, and the number of years employment must be at least 70. If x, where x <70, is a certain employee's age when hired and y is the minimum number of years of employment required for the employee to be eligible for retirement benefits, which of the following equations represents the relationship between x and y?
A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

To be eligible for benefits {age}+{employment years} must be at least 70;

We are told that when a certain employee was hired he was x years old and that the he needed minimum y years to be eligible for benefits.

Now, after y years of employment, when the employee will be be eligible for benefits, the employee will be x+y years old and will have y years of employment, thus {age after y years}+{employment years}=(x+y)+y=x+2y=70.

Answer: D.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 135562 [3], given: 12699

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Kudos [?]: 135562 [0], given: 12699

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2013, 03:42

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 559

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 09:33
Bunuel wrote:
AzWildcat1 wrote:

OA is D.

A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

We are told that when a certain employee was hired he was x years old and that the he needed minimum y years to be eligible for benefits.

Now, after y years of employment, when the employee will be be eligible for benefits, the employee will be x+y years old and will have y years of employment, thus {age after y years}+{employment years}=(x+y)+y=x+2y=70.

Hi Bunuel.. I couldn't understand that after having y years of experience how is the person left with y employment years only..If we take numerical values how can both the 'y' be same? Guess i din't understand the question well..Can you please explain it a bit more

Expert Post
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2013, 02:42
akankshasoneja wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
AzWildcat1 wrote:

OA is D.

A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

Hi Bunuel.. I couldn't understand that after having y years of experience how is the person left with y employment years only..If we take numerical values how can both the 'y' be same? Guess i din't understand the question well..Can you please explain it a bit more

Let me ask you a question: if a person was hired y years ago, how many years of employment does he have NOW?

Similar questions to practice:
for-an-employee-to-qualify-for-early-retirement-at-a-certain-143060.html
a-certain-company-retirement-plan-has-a-rule-of-109708.html

Hope this helps.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager

WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 09:40
Bunuel wrote:

Let me ask you a question: if a person was hired y years ago, how many years of employment does he have NOW?

Similar questions to practice:
for-an-employee-to-qualify-for-early-retirement-at-a-certain-143060.html
a-certain-company-retirement-plan-has-a-rule-of-109708.html

Hope this helps.

he will have y yrs of employment... got the question... thanks..

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Sep 2016, 04:36
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2017, 06:16
mistahfold wrote:

A. xy = 70
B. x + y = 70
C. 2x + y = 70
D. x + 2y = 70
E. 2x + 2y = 70

D is the answer.. x is the age when employee was hired & y is no. of minimum years he must serve to get the benefits...so, present age of the employee=x+y...now, according to the the question the eligibility criteria to get benefits is sum of present age & years of service ,i.e, (x+y)+y =>x+2y... hope it helps :?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 14:37
x=age when he started work
y=work experience
employee present age+ work experience=70
(x+y)+y=70
x+2y=70
answer:D

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 71

GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 07:57
Ans is D:

current age \(= x\)
age at retirement = current age + number of years worked \(= x+ y\)
for benefit employer age + number of year worked \(>= 70\)
which implies , \(x+y + y >= 70\)
therefore \(x+2y >=70\)
Hence Option D

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 71

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 66

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 08:34
Given age at time of employment = x
person need to have y years of experience to gain benefit.

Now->
at age x time of employment exp = 0 years

at age x -> exp =0
at age x+1 -> exp =1
at age x+2 -> exp =2
|
so on
|
at age x+y -> exp =y

As minimum exp required for benefit is y..... that time employee age becomes x+y

Now given age of employee +experience years = 70
(x+y) + y = 70
x+2y = 70

Answer: D

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 66

Re: To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2017, 08:34

To be eligible for retirement benefits at the Omega

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap