Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Conclusionx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7628 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Re: To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of country Z b [#permalink]
GMATGuruNY wrote:
D: Steps to offset rising materials costs by decreasing labor costs were taken in those industries.

The passage offers no information about whether companies attempted to decrease labor costs.
Eliminate D.

Dear GMATGuruNY,

The negated choice D. says:
D: Steps to offset rising materials costs by decreasing labor costs were NOT taken in those industries.

In light of negated choice D., the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets may not be limited, which is somewhat against the last sentence in the passage. They did not take steps of reduce their costs.
Instead, if industries took the steps, they may regain the competitiveness.

Why is my thinking wrong here?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Re: To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of country Z b [#permalink]
avigutman - While I did select (A) - the other answers were clearly wrong .

My question is on the expression on the yellow, specifically focusing on the underline

Would you agree, all 3 are plausible scenario's under the phrase "sharply limiting"

Quote:
To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of country Z banned imports of the types of products those industries were starting to make. As a direct result, the cost of those products to the buyers, several export-dependent industries in Z, went up, sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets.

Which of the following conclusions about country Z's adversely affected export-dependent industries is best supported by the passage?

(Scenario#1) Prior to the ban, profit per unit for exports was 50$/unit. After the ban, profit per unit is only 10 $/ unit [80 % drop]
or
(Scenario#2) Prior to the ban, profit per unit for exports was 50$/unit. After the ban, profit per unit is only 0 $/unit [100 % drop]
or
(Scenario#3) Prior to the ban, profit per unit for exports was 50$/unit. After the ban, profit per unit is only -5 $/unit [110 % drop]

80 % drop or 100 % drop or 110 % drop all fall under "sharply limiting"
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2287 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
avigutman - While I did select (A) - the other answers were clearly wrong .

My question is on the expression on the yellow, specifically focusing on the underline

Would you agree, all 3 are plausible scenario's under the phrase "sharply limiting"

Quote:
To protect certain fledgling industries, the government of country Z banned imports of the types of products those industries were starting to make. As a direct result, the cost of those products to the buyers, several export-dependent industries in Z, went up, sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets.

Which of the following conclusions about country Z's adversely affected export-dependent industries is best supported by the passage?

(Scenario#1) Prior to the ban, profit per unit for exports was 50$/unit. After the ban, profit per unit is only 10 $/ unit [80 % drop]
or
(Scenario#2) Prior to the ban, profit per unit for exports was 50$/unit. After the ban, profit per unit is only 0 $/unit [100 % drop]
or
(Scenario#3) Prior to the ban, profit per unit for exports was 50$/unit. After the ban, profit per unit is only -5 $/unit [110 % drop]

80 % drop or 100 % drop or 110 % drop all fall under "sharply limiting"

I think what you're asking, jabhatta2, is: does ability to compete effectively == ability to be profitable?
In other words, if I can't compete effectively, that means that I can't make a profit.
Yeah, I think that's a reasonable statement.
With scenario #1 above, an argument can be made that if you're making a profit of $10/unit then you are able to compete effectively.
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Hi avigutman

avigutman wrote:
I think what you're asking, jabhatta2, is: does ability to compete effectively == ability to be profitable?.

If there is an increase in the price of inputs, the export-dependent industries have 2 options:

(1) Absorb the price increase internally by taking a hit on profit margins.
OR
(2) Pass on the input price increase to its customers by increasing the prices of its products.

Which option, between the two, did you think happened when you read the sentence "the cost of those products to the buyers went up, sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets.

I thought the export dependent industries performed (1) when I read the blue sentence [I think that may have been wrong]

Did you think the export dependent industries performed (2) or performed (1) or we cant tell when you read the blue phrase ?

If you could pass the added costs on to consumers, you would. If you can't pass them on (because your competitors would be able to undercut your higher prices), then you take the hit. If that hit prevents you from being profitable, then you are no longer able to compete effectively, jabhatta2.
VP
VP
Send PM
Thanks avigutman

avigutman wrote:
If you could pass the added costs on to consumers, you would. If you can't pass them on (because your competitors would be able to undercut your higher prices), then you take the hit. If that hit prevents you from being profitable, then you are no longer able to compete effectively, jabhatta2.

The red (I think) is a bit subjective -- It really depends on the context and depends per owner.

Example – Your startup - Quant Reasoning.com

Avi's costs go up but Avi cannot increase monthly subscription fees to students. So, Avi has eat up the profit margin obviously.

Let’s say your monthly profit reduces drastically from 100$/month to 1 $/month

Are you going to keep quant-reasoning.com running (if you make 1 $/month only in profit)

You would say --- “Arghhh its just not worth it. Just 1 $/month in profits !”

Its just not worth it'

I thought of this scenario ALSO when I came across the phrase "sharply limit your ability to compete effectively".
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
You would say --- [i]“Arghhh its just not worth it. Just 1 $/month in profits !”

That's your mistake right there, [b]jabhatta2. Profit is what you are left with after accounting for all of your expenses. So, $1/month in profits is still a profitable business, why close it? When you say "it's just not worth it", what do you mean? It's just not worth what??
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi avigutman - thanks for the repsonse

avigutman wrote:
When you say "it's just not worth it", what do you mean? It's just not worth what??

Worth your time.

avigutman wrote:
That's your mistake right there, jabhatta2. Profit is what you are left with after accounting for all of your expenses. So, $1/month in profits is still a profitable business, why close it?

If you are spending say 100 hours per month to run / maintain / answer questions / conduct classes for quant reasoning.com

And all you are getting is a profit of 1 $ / month – you should shut quant reasoning.com down

It’s not worth your time (per my opinion)

You can work at mcdoalds for 100 hours per month instead earn at least 1600 $ (more than 1 $ per month)

Hence - Avi is not competitive given he is earning 1 $ in profits from quant reasoning.com because he can make MORE than 1 $ in profit working at Mcdonalds (working the same number of hours)

Thats how i thought of "compete effectively"

Text from Mobile
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
When you say "it's just not worth it", what do you mean? It's just not worth what??
Worth your time.
My time (my CEO salary) is already accounted for in the expenses, jabhatta2. I think you just need to brush up on the meaning of "profit" and "profit margins".
VP
VP
Send PM
Hi KarishmaB

KarishmaB wrote:
We are given that when the cost of these buyers went up, these buyers could not compete effectively in their markets (they export their goods).
So they could not manage to keep selling price same and had to increase it. That made their products in the market expensive and hence they were unable to compete.

The sentence in red confused me

How are you so sure that the selling price of the export oriented buyer has definitely gone up?

Perhaps the selling price of the buyer has stayed the same but the profit margin has reduced from 20 $ /unit to 1 $ / unit only.

Isnt same price but very extremely low profit margins an example of "sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete effectively in their export markets."
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
GMATGuruNY wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
Q1. Why is choice A. correct? The passage does not even mention about the profit at all.

An inference is a statement that MUST BE TRUE, given the information in the passage.
Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer is negated, the passage will be contradicted.

A, negated:
Profit margins in those industries were high enough to absorb the rise in costs.
Implication:
The rise in costs did not limit the ability of those industries to compete -- contradicting the following information in the passage:
The cost...went up, sharply limiting the ability of those industries to compete.
Since the negation of A contradicts the passage, A is a valid inference: a statement that MUST BE TRUE, given the information in the passage.

Quote:
Q2. Why is choice D. wrong?

D: Steps to offset rising materials costs by decreasing labor costs were taken in those industries.

The passage offers no information about whether companies attempted to decrease labor costs.
Eliminate D.

GMATGuruNY
Negation technique be applied to every inference questions
if it's true then negation technique just works for assumption and inference only or there any other type of questions for which negation technique works
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Operations, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V32
Send PM
I know it is a CR question but it was really hard to understand. The word "Those industries" has been used twice in this question. First "those industries" refers to certain fledgling industries but there is confusion about the second "those industries" in the last sentence. Is it referring to export-dependent industries or certain fledgling industries? It created a big confusion for me. Also, the question asked for a conclusion regarding export-dependent industries which is best supported by the question. I don't know it is me only who is feeling odd regarding the language to ask for conclusion support. Thanks in advance for your help but I want to know that Is it just me or if there are really some issues regarding the language of this question?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts