GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 May 2019, 12:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

To retake or not to retake / INSEAD admission

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V37
GPA: 4
To retake or not to retake / INSEAD admission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Jan 2019, 04:56
d

Originally posted by nche on 30 Jun 2017, 08:44.
Last edited by nche on 20 Jan 2019, 04:56, edited 2 times in total.
Admission Consultant
P
Re: To retake or not to retake / INSEAD admission  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 20:43
nche wrote:
Hi all. Just passed my first GMAT attempt this morning. Faired not too bad but a bit disappointed. Got a 670 (IR6,Q45,V37). Frustrated because on all my prep tests (GMAT prep 4 tests) I got either 690 or 720 and my Q score has always been Q47 or Q48.

I'm an engineer. Bi National (French/Nigerian). 5 years work exp, 2 as a project manager and the rest setting up the financial control department of an international Logistics firm subsidiary in Nigeria. Worked and studied in France, Spain, Nigeria, India and Australia. Uni GPA 4.0 (according to the conversion table I saw at the GMAT test).

My main target is INSEAD; second choice IE Business school. My major conundrum is I want to apply in Round 4 deadline 24th July. I still have my essay's to write and don't know how important getting a better GMAT would be in the grand scheme of things. I believe I could get it into the 700s. (fluent in French and English, working proficiency in Spanish, very basic German).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

Applying in the last round with a sub-par GMAT score is risky proposition. You should push your application to the other intake and apply in the earlier rounds. This will also free up time to retake GMAT- you are already sure you can better your performance so take a go at it.

You cater to the diversity of the b-school and they still take you in despite the GMAT score (we once had a candidate being admitted with 600+ score). But in my opinion taking the safer approach on this one is more beneficial.

Hope that helps!

Ask us for a FREE DING/REJECT ANALYSIS
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 30 Jun 2017, 23:11
nche wrote:
Hi all. Just passed my first GMAT attempt this morning. Faired not too bad but a bit disappointed. Got a 670 (IR6,Q45,V37). Frustrated because on all my prep tests (GMAT prep 4 tests) I got either 690 or 720 and my Q score has always been Q47 or Q48.

I'm an engineer. Bi National (French/Nigerian). 5 years work exp, 2 as a project manager and the rest setting up the financial control department of an international Logistics firm subsidiary in Nigeria. Worked and studied in France, Spain, Nigeria, India and Australia. Uni GPA 4.0 (according to the conversion table I saw at the GMAT test).

My main target is INSEAD; second choice IE Business school. My major conundrum is I want to apply in Round 4 deadline 24th July. I still have my essay's to write and don't know how important getting a better GMAT would be in the grand scheme of things. I believe I could get it into the 700s. (fluent in French and English, working proficiency in Spanish, very basic German).

Cheers

Hi,

If you aren't willing to apply next year, then I'd recommend working on your applications now. In R4, your application needs to be solid for any consideration. If you can work both on your next GMAT and application side-by-side, perhaps then you could but if you're working full time I don't see how that will be possible without you compromising on quality.
You do have a distinguished profile and you might just make the cut even with your below average GMAT. Even if you don't make it this time you can always re-apply next year with better GMAT score.
Good Luck !

Best,

Check out our new tool MBA Matrix https://EduSimplified.com/mba-matrix
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2017, 01:03
nche wrote:

Cheers

Well my first question is: Do you really want to apply last round with a lower than average GMAT to your favorite school when they have intakes every six months? Does that at all make sense?

I think in all likelihood it won't. and you would have to have a very strong justification fro applying both R4 and with a lower than average score, and taking a huge risk of not being accepted. Plus you haven't begun your essays.

My advice: Take it easy. Hold on to those horses. Plan out a retake and try to get the best score you can and THEN apply. Don't rush things dude. You only do this once. So do it right.

Best,
JF

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
GMAT Club Bot
Re: To retake or not to retake / INSEAD admission   [#permalink] 01 Jul 2017, 01:03

To retake or not to retake / INSEAD admission

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap