It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Top 16 schools most receptive to high GPA/low GMAT combo?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Top 16 schools most receptive to high GPA/low GMAT combo? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 15:00
I went to Georgetown University, majored in Economics, and got a 3.9/4.0 GPA. I've been working in Economic Consulting (think, Cornerstone Research) for around 4 years. 1 Promotion at work. Decent EC involvement. However, after months of practicing, I only got a 700 on the GMAT.

I'm not that good a standardized test taker: I only got a 2050 on the SAT in high school after prepping for it, so my Georgetown acceptance was mainly on my high grades, even then. My post-MBA goal is to go into f500 corp strat.

We all hear about high GMAT/low GPA candidates. But what about the opposite? What schools among the top 16ish would be the most receptive to my profile? Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Top 16 schools most receptive to high GPA/low GMAT combo? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2017, 15:14
Yes, I help people with these kind of numbers get into top schools. Keep in mind that it's very important to separate you from anyone else because if you are on par with someone who has your qualifications but better GMAT they win. So you will need to nail the app. Most people don't know what that really means or how to do it.

http://MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 76

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 15:06
I actually think you have a solid profile with the limited info provided. 700 is a solid score especially coupled with your GPA. You want to think of the combo of your GPA/GMAT as a balancing act the lower one side is the higher the other should be to balance out. There's no metric for how to balance it out but having such a high GPA from a school as strong at Gtown (#HoyaSaxa) will certainly be seen as a positive. Now what you need to target the right schools for your development goals and not simply just select the top ranked programs blindly because there are certainly some top programs that would be a good fit for you but not all of them because technically you will still be below the avg GMAT at some programs even when factoring your strong GPA.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 985 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 00:14
doriangray22929a wrote:
I went to Georgetown University, majored in Economics, and got a 3.9/4.0 GPA. I've been working in Economic Consulting (think, Cornerstone Research) for around 4 years. 1 Promotion at work. Decent EC involvement. However, after months of practicing, I only got a 700 on the GMAT.

I'm not that good a standardized test taker: I only got a 2050 on the SAT in high school after prepping for it, so my Georgetown acceptance was mainly on my high grades, even then. My post-MBA goal is to go into f500 corp strat.

We all hear about high GMAT/low GPA candidates. But what about the opposite? What schools among the top 16ish would be the most receptive to my profile? Thanks!

Hey there,
Well I haven't seen a specific school that is specifically open to a low GMAT. It's more a question of: How can you use the rest of your profile to make the best application.

A 700 is below average for the majority of Top16/20 schools, but it's also not so low that you will be KOed without consideration.

So really now, the question is: how good of an application can you make?

Best,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 985 [0], given: 49

Re: Top 16 schools most receptive to high GPA/low GMAT combo?   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 00:14

Top 16 schools most receptive to high GPA/low GMAT combo?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap