Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:30 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Geometryx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619463 [169]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [41]
Given Kudos: 257
Concentration: Finance, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q168 V167
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [21]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4099 [4]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H cm, respectively. If these dimensions are increased by x%, y%, and z%, respectively, what is the percentage increase in the total surface area of the solid?

(1) L, W, and H are in the ratios of 5:3:4.
(2) x = 5, y = 10, z = 20

DS47651.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

TSA ; 2(lw+wh+lh)
LWH given but % variation is missing; insufficient
x = 5, y = 10, z = 20
dimensions not given
insufficeint
from 1 & 2
we can determine % increase for l,w,h
sufficient
IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [7]
Given Kudos: 565
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H cm, respectively. If these dimensions are increased by x%, y%, and z%, respectively, what is the percentage increase in the total surface area of the solid?

DS47651.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

\(L\), \(W\), and \(H\) are the dimensions of a rectangular solid, in cm. The original question: \(\Delta SA\%=?\)

1) We know the ratio of the dimensions of this rectangular solid, but no information is given about the actual percent increases of its dimensions. Thus, we can't get a unique value to answer the original question. \(\implies\) Insufficient

2) We know the actual percent increases of the dimensions of this rectangular solid. To determine the percent increase of its surface area, we try to determine the growth factor for its surface area.

\(\frac{2(1.05\cdot1.1LW+1.05\cdot1.2LH+1.1\cdot1.2WH)}{2(LW+LH+WH)}=\)

\(=\frac{1.05\cdot1.1+1.05\cdot1.2\frac{H}{W}+1.1\cdot1.2\frac{H}{L}}{1+\frac{H}{W}+\frac{H}{L}}\)

Clearly, the above growth factor depends on the ratio of the dimensions, about which we don't have any information. Thus, we can't get a unique value to answer the original question. \(\implies\) Insufficient

1&2) We have the information to determine the percent increase of the surface area. Thus, we could get a unique value to answer the original question. \(\implies\) Sufficient

Answer: C
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16861 [1]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Solution

Steps 1 & 2: Understand Question and Draw Inferences
In this question, we are given
    • A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H cm, respectively.

We need to determine
    • If the length, width, and height are increased by x%, y% and z% respectively, then the corresponding percentage increase in the total surface area of the solid.

The total surface area of the rectangular solid, before increase = 2(LW + LH + WH)
To increase the percentage of the total surface area, we need to know
    • The values of L, W, H, before increase (or the ratio of L, W, H)
    • The values of x, y, and z.

With this understanding, let us now analyse the individual statements.

Step 3: Analyse Statement 1
As per the information given in statement 1, L, W, and H are in the ratios of 5: 3: 4.
    • However, from this statement, we cannot determine the values of x, y, and z.

Hence, statement 1 is not sufficient to answer the question.

Step 4: Analyse Statement 2
As per the information given in statement 2, x = 5, y = 10, z = 20.
    • However, from this statement, we cannot determine the values of L, W, and H (or their ratios).

Hence, statement 2 is not sufficient to answer the question.

Step 5: Combine Both Statements Together (If Needed)
Combining information from both statements, we get
    • L: W: H = 5: 3: 4 and x = 5, y = 10, z = 20.

As we have all the necessary information to calculate the percentage increase, we can say the correct answer is option C.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
again this problem is abit tough to tackle it in 2 mins
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi gmatjindi,

Your goal when dealing with any individual Quant question should NOT be to try to answer it in under 2 minutes (that is bad advice that will likely cost you some points on Test Day) - a number of the questions that you will face are designed to take up to 3 minutes to solve (and that's if you know what you are doing). Your actual goal is to be 'efficient' with your work, meaning that you don't waste time and you choose the most efficient method for answering that question that's in front of you. Most GMAT questions are actually written so that you can approach them in more than one way - so as you continue to study, you might consider reviewing more than just the questions that you got wrong. There might be much faster ways to deal with questions that you have correctly answered (and you have to learn and practice those methods if you want to properly take advantage of them on Test Day).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.72
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Can someone explain why not knowing the L,W,H in statement 2 is insufficient? It seems like as long as you know that L,W,H is being increased by the respective %, the overall increase will always be the same, regardless of the actual dimensions.

ie. if L,W,H = 1,1,1 or 2,3,5, and we know the % increase is 5%,10%,20%, the resulting increase from original to new will always be the same.

Can someone show it with actual examples? I figure I must be performing the question wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi cchen679,

Fact 2 doesn't define any of the original dimensions - and increasing different measurements by 5%, 10% or 20% will lead to different overall increases in overall surface areas (try a couple of different examples and you'll see).

Rich
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.72
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
A rectangular solid has length, width, and height of L cm, W cm, and H [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi cchen679,

Fact 2 doesn't define any of the original dimensions - and increasing different measurements by 5%, 10% or 20% will lead to different overall increases in overall surface areas (try a couple of different examples and you'll see).

Rich

Thanks for the quick reply, but this is what confuses me. When I try different examples, I'm getting the same results

Example1:
L= 2
W= 3
H= 4
original surface area = 24(2*3*4)

new L,W,H after increasing by %
L= 2.1
W= 3.3
H= 4.8
new surface area = 33.264(2.1*3.3*4.8)

old SA/ new SA
24/33.264 = .7215

Example2:
L= 3
W= 5
H= 2
original surface area = 30(3*5*2)

new L,W,H after increasing by %
L= 3.15
W= 5.5
H= 2.4
new surface area = 41.58(3.15*5.5*2.4)

old SA/ new SA
30/41.58 = .7215
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi cchen679,

In your examples, you're calculating the volume of the solid - you're supposed to be calculating the SURFACE AREA though.

Surface Area = (2)(L)(W) + (2)(L)(H) + (2)(W)(H)

You'll find that the answer varies when you change the initial Surface Area.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V37
Send PM
A rectangular solid has length, width, and heigh [#permalink]

In this question, I am sure any we are eliminating A and B. Could you please help me with opt C ( combining both 1 and 2 ). How it is sufficient?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7629 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Re: A rectangular solid has length, width, and heigh [#permalink]
Kudos
BijayKru wrote:

In this question, I am sure any we are eliminating A and B. Could you please help me with opt C ( combining both 1 and 2 ). How it is sufficient?

Hello Bijaykru,
For a moment, let’s forget that this is a question on calculating volume.

Let’s assume that we are discussing different sources of YOUR income.
Let’s say you have 3 sources of income – Salary, income from rent of a house that you have let out AND income from interest on a Deposit you have in a bank. So, effectively, there are three variables that have an effect on your total income, isn’t it?

Let’s assume two cases – your total income 5 years ago and your total income NOW. Clearly, most of these variables would have changed – your salary would have increased, you may have increased the rent of your tenants and the bank might be giving you a higher rate of interest now compared to 5 years ago.

One fine day, your buddy suddenly asks “ Hey Bijaykru, what’s the percentage increase in your total income mate, compared to 5 years ago?”. You do not want to answer this question directly, so you tell him “Look here, I’ll give you some information; based on that, you can calculate the percentage increase yourself”.

You give him information about your salary, rent and interest, 5 years ago in statement I. Can he calculate the percentage increase?
You give him information about how much your salary, rent and interest have increased in statement II. For example, you say “ Hey, my salary increased by 5%, rent by 10% and interest by 20%”. Will he be able to calculate the percentage increase?

Your answers to these questions will tell you why the correct answer is C on the original question. Do let me know if my analogy helped you understand this better.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
I have a quick question. In case the question focused on asking the difference between the new surface area and the original surface area (the actual number and not the percentage increase). Would the answer in that case be E, since we do not know the constant of the ratio?

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gauranggarg,

Assuming that everything else in the prompt remained the same - and the question was changed to ask "what is the difference between the new surface area and the original surface area of the solid?" - then the answer would be E (since we have no actual measurements to work with).

It's worth noting that NOTHING about a GMAT question is ever "random" - the wording, numbers, etc. are all specifically chosen for a reason: to 'test' you on your understanding of certain concepts (and in many cases, whether you are able to take advantage of a built-in 'shortcut' or not). With this prompt, the question asks about 'percent increase' to see how well you understand how ratios impact that type of work. A question on the GMAT that asked for the actual difference between two surface areas would likely give you different information to work with.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
CrackVerbalGMAT wrote:
BijayKru wrote:

Hello Bijaykru,
For a moment, let’s forget that this is a question on calculating volume.

Let’s assume that we are discussing different sources of YOUR income.
Let’s say you have 3 sources of income – Salary, income from rent of a house that you have let out AND income from interest on a Deposit you have in a bank. So, effectively, there are three variables that have an effect on your total income, isn’t it?

Let’s assume two cases – your total income 5 years ago and your total income NOW. Clearly, most of these variables would have changed – your salary would have increased, you may have increased the rent of your tenants and the bank might be giving you a higher rate of interest now compared to 5 years ago.

One fine day, your buddy suddenly asks “ Hey Bijaykru, what’s the percentage increase in your total income mate, compared to 5 years ago?”. You do not want to answer this question directly, so you tell him “Look here, I’ll give you some information; based on that, you can calculate the percentage increase yourself”.

You give him information about your salary, rent and interest, 5 years ago in statement I. Can he calculate the percentage increase?
You give him information about how much your salary, rent and interest have increased in statement II. For example, you say “ Hey, my salary increased by 5%, rent by 10% and interest by 20%”. Will he be able to calculate the percentage increase?

Your answers to these questions will tell you why the correct answer is C on the original question. Do let me know if my analogy helped you understand this better.

Hope this helps!

Great Analogy! Thank you!

Could you tell me why, if the question was asking about Volume, knowing only x,y, and z would be enough?

I ended up choosing B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [4]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Gmaters !

Can you help me please?

I attached 2 notes, and they refer my process of thinking.

However, I have a doubt about 1)&2) part.. Can I just directly judge the answer in that way without the verification?

Thank you in advance!! :please:
Attachments

-218.jpg
-218.jpg [ 452.65 KiB | Viewed 37121 times ]

-219.jpg
-219.jpg [ 421.81 KiB | Viewed 37073 times ]

CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
suminha wrote:
Hello Gmaters !

Can you help me please?

I attached 2 notes, and they refer my process of thinking.

However, I have a doubt about 1)&2) part.. Can I just directly judge the answer in that way without the verification?

Thank you in advance!! :please:

There's no issue with your thought process. Just know that we are dealing in ratios and we are required to find out percentage which is another way of writing ratios.
So, basically we need not to have any specific value of any of the sides. This is what you have nicely shown in your work. :thumbsup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone explain why the ratio part 1 is even needed? to solve for Part 2?

Even if you use L = X, W = Y, H = Z
Does it matter?

i.e. Original SA: 2(xy + xz + yz)
example increase for each length, width height = 150%

2[(1.5x)(1.5y) + (1.5x)(1.5z) + (1.5y)(1.5z)] - 2xy + 2xz + 2yz

2xy + 2xz + 2yz

= Reduce:

2.5 (xy + xz + yz)

Answer: 2.5/2 = 5/4 = 1.25 = 125% increase

I still don't understand
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92955 posts