Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:10 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16859 [17]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [10]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [4]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Question of the week - 45(If A, B, C are three consecutive even .....) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Assuming the arrangement of the letters on the number line can be trusted, then the average of C, B and A is just the median, B, because C, B and A are consecutive even integers and so are equally spaced. Similarly the average of D, E and F is just E. Since those two sets are equal in size, the average of all six numbers will be the average of B and E, so will be (B+E)/2. So if we can find B+E we can answer the question.

Statement 1 gives us two possibilities (A = -2, D = 15, or A = -6, D = 5) which give different values for B+E.

For Statement 2, P = B and Q = E, so Statement 2 just says |B| = |E| - 2. Since B < 0 from the number line, |B| = -B and since E > 0, |E| = E. So Statement 2 tells us

-B = E - 2
2 = E + B

and the average of the six numbers must be (E+B)/2 = 2/2 = 1.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4099 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Question of the week - 45(If A, B, C are three consecutive even .....) [#permalink]
good question
A * D = -30
A= 2,6,
D= 15,5,
insufficient
|P|= |Q| - 2, where P is the average of A, B and C, and Q is the average of D, E and F

in this case we can say that P=B and Q=E
also B=E
so we can say 2=E+B
so avg of 6 no. ; E+B/2 = 2/2 ; 1
IMO B

EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
e-GMAT Question of the Week

If A, B, C are three consecutive even integers, and D, E, F are three consecutive multiples of 5, then what is the average of all six numbers?
    (1) A * D = -30
    (2) |P|= |Q| - 2, where P is the average of A, B and C, and Q is the average of D, E and F

A. Statement (1) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (2) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.

B. Statement (2) ALONE is sufficient, but statement (1) alone is not sufficient to answer the question asked.

C. BOTH statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are sufficient to answer the question asked, but NEITHER statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.

D. EACH statement ALONE is sufficient to answer the question asked.

E. Statements (1) and (2) TOGETHER are NOT sufficient to answer the question asked, and additional data specific to the problem are needed.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 500 Q39 V20
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Statement 1 :
A*D = -30
2 possibilities - A(-6) * B(5) or A(-2) * B(15)
NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
|P| = |Q| - 2

P = -(A+B+C)/3
Q = (D+E+F)/3

A+B+C = D+E+F -6

A + B+ C +D + E + F = 6

So, B
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16859 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Solution

Given:
    • A, B, C are three consecutive even integers, and all of them are negative integers
    • D, E, F are three consecutive multiples of 5, and all of them are positive integers

To find:
    • The average of all six integers, \(\frac{(A + B+ C + D + E + F)}{6}\)

Analyzing Statement 1:
“A * D = -30”
    • We know that D is a multiple of 5.
      o So, let’s write -30 as product of two integers, such that one of them is a positive multiple of 5.
      o 5 * -6 & 15 * -2 are the only two possible ways of doing it

Case 1: A = -2 and D = 15
    • Implies, average of six numbers = \(\frac{(-2 - 4 – 6 + 15 + 20 + 25)}{6} = \frac{48}{6} = 8\)

Case 2: A = -6 and D = 5
    • Implies, average of six numbers = \(\frac{(-6 - 8 – 10 + 5 + 10 + 15)}{6} = \frac{6}{6} = 1\)

Since, we are not able to find a unique answer from this step, Statement 1 is not sufficient.

Analyzing Statement 2:
“|P|= |Q| - 2, where P is the average of A, B and C, and Q is the average of D, E and F”

• Implies, \(P = \frac{(A + B + C)}{3}\)
      o Thus, (A + B + C) = 3P

• \(Q = \frac{(D + E + F)}{3}\)
      o Thus, (D + E + F) = 3Q

• So, average of six numbers = (A + B+ C + D + E + F)/6 = (3P + 3Q)/6 = (P + Q)/2 ……………….. (1)

And, we know |P|= |Q| - 2
    • From this, we can say that |P|=-P, since P < 0, and |Q|= Q, since Q > 0.
      o Thus, -P = Q – 2
      o Implies, P + Q = 2

• Substituting this value in equation (1), we get,
      o Average of six integers = \(\frac{2}{2} = 1\)

Since, we are getting a unique value from this step, Statement 2 is sufficient.

Hence, the correct answer is Option B.

Answer: B

e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16859 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Karmesh wrote:
To find : (A+B+C+D+E+F)/6

Statement 1 :
A*D = -30
There can be 2 possibilities - A(-6) * B(5) or A(-2) * B(15)
Therefore, NOT SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
|P| = |Q| - 2

P = -(A+B+C)/3
Q = (D+E+F)/3

On solving, we get A+B+C = D+E+F -6

If we substitute this in (A+B+C+D+E+F)/6 we still don't get a value. Therefore INSUFFICIENT.

1+2
Only 5, -6 will satisfy statement 2. Therefore we have specific values for A & D, which also give us all the other values required.

So, C

Hi Karmesh,

It seems like you have not analysed statement 2 properly. Please go through our solution to find your mistakes
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Please correct me if i am wrong, but everyone who has provided solution to this question is assuming value of D, E and F to be negative and value of A, B and C to be positive. Sure we are given A*D=-30 , but there is no mention about A, B, C being positive and D,E and F being negative. It is just written that they are three consecutive even integers and three consecutive multiples of 5. Multiples of 5 can be negative value also. So according to st1: A can have values 2, -2, 6 and -6. And D can have 15, -15, 5 and -5.

Please help me with this.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1444 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
iamArjuna wrote:
Please correct me if i am wrong, but everyone who has provided solution to this question is assuming value of D, E and F to be negative and value of A, B and C to be positive. Sure we are given A*D=-30 , but there is no mention about A, B, C being positive and D,E and F being negative. It is just written that they are three consecutive even integers and three consecutive multiples of 5. Multiples of 5 can be negative value also. So according to st1: A can have values 2, -2, 6 and -6. And D can have 15, -15, 5 and -5.

Please help me with this.

iamArjuna

Its actually the other way around. A,B and C are negative and D, E and F are positive.

We get this from the number line that is given.

In the number line, everything to the left of 0 is less than 0 or negative and everything to the right of 0 is greater than 0 or positive.

Hope this helps!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:

Solution

Given:
    • A, B, C are three consecutive even integers, and all of them are negative integers
    • D, E, F are three consecutive multiples of 5, and all of them are positive integers

To find:
    • The average of all six integers, \(\frac{(A + B+ C + D + E + F)}{6}\)

Analyzing Statement 1:
“A * D = -30”
    • We know that D is a multiple of 5.
      o So, let’s write -30 as product of two integers, such that one of them is a positive multiple of 5.
      o 5 * -6 & 15 * -2 are the only two possible ways of doing it

Case 1: A = -2 and D = 15
    • Implies, average of six numbers = \(\frac{(-2 - 4 – 6 + 15 + 20 + 25)}{6} = \frac{48}{6} = 8\)

Case 2: A = -6 and D = 5
    • Implies, average of six numbers = \(\frac{(-6 - 8 – 10 + 5 + 10 + 15)}{6} = \frac{6}{6} = 1\)

Since, we are not able to find a unique answer from this step, Statement 1 is not sufficient.

Analyzing Statement 2:
“|P|= |Q| - 2, where P is the average of A, B and C, and Q is the average of D, E and F”

• Implies, \(P = \frac{(A + B + C)}{3}\)
      o Thus, (A + B + C) = 3P

• \(Q = \frac{(D + E + F)}{3}\)
      o Thus, (D + E + F) = 3Q

• So, average of six numbers = (A + B+ C + D + E + F)/6 = (3P + 3Q)/6 = (P + Q)/2 ……………….. (1)

And, we know |P|= |Q| - 2
    • From this, we can say that |P|=-P, since P < 0, and |Q|= Q, since Q > 0.
      o Thus, -P = Q – 2
      o Implies, P + Q = 2

• Substituting this value in equation (1), we get,
      o Average of six integers = \(\frac{2}{2} = 1\)

Since, we are getting a unique value from this step, Statement 2 is sufficient.

Hence, the correct answer is Option B.

Answer: B

Hello,
Could you help me understand this
If we open the modulus |P| = |Q| -2; we know P is negative and Q is positive, Example Q is 8: Could the value of P be -6 Only or could it be -10 too based on the way we open the modulus?
I am sorry it may be a silly doubt
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [0]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
If A, B, C are three consecutive even integers, and D, E, F are three consecutive multiples of 5, then what is the average of all six numbers?

This question uses famous trap of GMAT, as you can get the required solution by equation itself. You don't need to solve it.

Stat1: A * D = -30
A = -2 and D = 15 or, A = -6, D = 5, as we don't know any relation between A and D. Not sufficient

Stat2: |P|= |Q| - 2, where P is the average of A, B and C, and Q is the average of D, E and F
Since, P <0 so, |P| = -P and As Q >0, |Q| = Q

So, (-A-B-C)/3 = (D+E+F)/3 -2 or, (A+B+C+D+E+F)/6 = 1. Sufficient

So, I think B. :)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92955 posts