Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [103]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [6]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [3]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
Kudos
Krishishere wrote:
End of GMAT's credibility.

Posted from my mobile device

All those "security measures" are simply too weak. Think of all the procedures in the test centers to prevent cheating. They are non-existent in home edition.

In s "Home", people can set up a spy camera to capture screens. This alone is fatal blow to the credibility of GRE / TOEFL / GMAT. If students can have access to the current pool of test questions, their scores can improve 30 points, 32 points, or 330 points, respectively, to start with!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This was a much faster response than anticipated though it is pretty vague and they bought themselves a month of time... so no GMAT Options for a month!

P.S. I can tell you that GMAC's purpose of existence depends on the GMAT being credible so they will do anything they can to keep it credible and reliable. Moreover, schools are not dummies either. They know people sometimes write their own LOR's and they know that they should take some of those with a grain of salt. They can approach GMAT at home with the same lens - tests taken at home may not sway them much at all but this is life these days.

P.P.S. If you really do think you can easily get an 800 on the GMAT, i suggest you register for the GMAT at home option when it comes out :D
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
This was a much faster response than anticipated though it is pretty vague and they bought themselves a month of time... so no GMAT Options for a month!

P.S. I can tell you that GMAC's purpose of existence depends on the GMAT being credible so they will do anything they can to keep it credible and reliable. Moreover, schools are not dummies either. They know people sometimes write their own LOR's and they know that they should take some of those with a grain of salt. They can approach GMAT at home with the same lens - tests taken at home may not sway them much at all but this is life these days.

P.P.S. If you really do think you can easily get an 800 on the GMAT, i suggest you register for the GMAT at home option when it comes out :D

Give me a dump of official GMAT questions, I can likely get an 800, home or homeless.

Meaning: If one takes home edition honestly, the scores will be comparable. But if one gains advance knowledge (or real time assistance), the home edition score will be much inflated or approaching 800, rendering all GMAT scores meaningless.

Do not underestimate the ingenuity of unscrupulous test takers and test prep companies. Certainly, they should not all obtain 800, as that will startle GMAC. Instead, they should maintain somewhat plausible curve. Now, who should be assigned 800 beforehand? That would be fun to watch.

Originally posted by zhanbo on 23 Mar 2020, 15:20.
Last edited by zhanbo on 23 Mar 2020, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zhanbo wrote:

Give me a dump of official GMAT questions, I can likely get an 800, home or homeless.

Maybe you also want the answers? :lol:

GMAC has experience with compromised questions and how to identify test takers that have cheated. Their systems have been hacked before about 20 years ago or so. They also had people in 2005 still questions from the test centers in different ways. They’ve been able to retroactively identify the individuals once they figured out the pattern.

If I were them I would not bust the test takers right away, I would actually wait for them to submit their scores to business schools and then ban them for 3 years or smth like that.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
zhanbo wrote:

Maybe you also want the answers? :lol:

GMAC has experience with compromised questions and how to identify test takers that have cheated. Their systems have been hacked before about 20 years ago or so. They also had people in 2005 still questions from the test centers in different ways. They’ve been able to retroactively identify the individuals once they figured out the pattern.

If I were them I would not bust the test takers right away, I would actually wait for them to submit their scores to business schools and then ban them for 3 years or smth like that.

Answers are optional as those cannot be captured from the screen.

Between you and me, with unlimited answer time, I hope we can figure out the answers by ourselves. :-D

I do enjoy solving GMAT and GRE questions.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [5]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
And here's the vague release from GMAC about the GMAT home edition, available in mid-April: https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus.

Interesting that they're calling it the "Interim GMAT". Presumably, it won't last long, so cheaters need to hop in there quickly. :roll:

Quote:
Updated March 23, 2020

The health and safety of candidates and our staff are of the utmost importance to GMAC, and we are actively working with testing centers to respond to this very difficult situation. As a part of the global effort to contain the spread and mitigate impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus), GMAT™ and Executive Assessment testing has been suspended in many locations worldwide. For testing centers that remain open, enhanced health and safety measures are in place including enhanced cleaning procedures, hand sanitizer and wipes provided for candidates.

As the situation develops, below you will find the most up-to-date information on testing center closures, enhanced testing center procedures, and health and safety guidance.

Please contact your GMAC Customer Care team if you have any questions or concerns.

Interim GMAT™ Exam - Available Online Mid-April
We all recognize this is a challenging time for testing with test center closures around the world. To help you, we are preparing an alternative GMAT™ exam available online.

This interim GMAT exam will provide a comparable structure, number of items, and scoring as delivered in test centers. The Quant, Verbal and IR sections (no AWA section) will have the same number of items and the same time for completion. This will allow us to maintain the same score scale for both the Section Scores and Total Score.

The check-in and security protocols will be modified to accommodate online delivery and remote proctors will be used to manage test integrity.

The alternative test will be available in impacted markets, outside of mainland China. GMAC is continuing to work with the Chinese government authorities to present appropriate, alternative solutions for test takers in mainland China.

In light of the current unprecedented situation, this interim solution will be offered at a lower price point than the standard GMAT exam to support our test takers and schools during this difficult time.

Additional details coming soon.

Test Center Closures and Special Procedures
Testing is suspended in many testing centers worldwide. Please visit mba.com/find-a-seat to check the availability of the testing center near you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [2]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
I wish the requirements of the "at home" version of the exams allowed to keep an espresso machine in the test room :lol: :inlove:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V39
WE:Analyst (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
Interim Exam won't have AWA section. So Ad-coms will see that AWA has no score and exam was taken at home. Don't know how will this information help/hurt the candidacy.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 889 [2]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
Test at the test center creates "anxiety" that I guess "Home edition" would lack.
Feeling home, giving the test without having to see others besides you, the unexpected events such as invigilator didn't see you raise a hand in time during your break-time, your marker not working etc. wouldn't be present in the home-edition of the test. No AWA's!!! That's huge even if its just half an hr.

Might inflate the test scores a bit.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
bhaskar123 wrote:
Interim Exam won't have AWA section. So Ad-coms will see that AWA has no score and exam was taken at home. Don't know how will this information help/hurt the candidacy.

I guess AWA section can be easily added in the near future. GMAC is rushed to introduce "Home Edition" to compete with GRE. Sadly, both programs' reputations will take a hit. Whether the damage is irrecoverable is anyone's guess.

No doubt they must have some reservations about test (and test question) security. But in the pursuit for larger market share and test takers' money, they make bad, dumb, near-sighted decisions. So much for critical reasoning they claim to measure. Theirs is pretty pathetic.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [3]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
Kudos
shameekv1989 wrote:
Test at the test center creates "anxiety" that I guess "Home edition" would lack.
Feeling home, giving the test without having to see others besides you, the unexpected events such as invigilator didn't see you raise a hand in time during your break-time, your marker not working etc. wouldn't be present in the home-edition of the test. No AWA's!!! That's huge even if its just half an hr.

Might inflate the test scores a bit.

I just realized this after reading your Post... I guess it will be a huge advantage... Specially if I recollect my first attempt when Time anxiety got better of me

shameekv1989

Looks like I should prepare myself to take second attempt in April once they make "Test From Home" available..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.49
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
What are the chances that AdComs don't put much weight into these scores? A huge part of the test is def. the increased lvls of anxiety, not to mention all the crazy ways you can cheat. Also, it's weird that it's cheaper AND doesn't include AWA. None of this really makes too much sense to me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
UPDATE: I could not let it go and installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro via bootcamp facility and successfully passed both ETS and UProctor system tests. So, I guess the support person from ETS did not really understand what I was asking about this morning :)

Anyway, I will have both MacBook and Dell laptop (as a backup) with me when I take a test in April.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
mykrasovski wrote:
UPDATE: I could not let it go and installed Windows 10 on my MacBook Pro via bootcamp facility and successfully passed both ETS and UProctor system tests. So, I guess the support person from ETS did not really understand what I was asking about this morning :)

Anyway, I will have both MacBook and Dell laptop (as a backup) with me when I take a test in April.

Good luck! Do let us know how you fare in the Home Edition!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Send PM
Thank you zhanbo! Will keep the community posted.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Awesome!!! Great!!! Definitely interested in the experience and of course your score!

mykrasovski wrote:

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [2]
Given Kudos: 459
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
GMAC is going to follow ETS ...home based GMAT as an interim GMAT ( for COVID-19 effects ) without AWA section from mid april . Even hints given the fees won't be 250$. More announcement is coming ....Eagerly waiting .

https://www.mba.com/articles-and-announ ... oronavirus
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  183