GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Jul 2018, 12:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
S
Schools: LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GPA: 4
Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 13:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

83% (00:26) correct 17% (00:56) wrong based on 52 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling towards one another on parallel adjacent tracks. How many miles from the point where train A began to travel will the trains meet?

(1) Train A is traveling at a constant speed of 94 miles per hour and train B is traveling at a constant speed of 47 miles per hour.

(2) Train A is traveling at a constant speed that is twice the constant speed of train B.

OA after discussion

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 13:34
Assuming their time of travel will be same (meeting condition DST problem) We need to know the distance covered by each and equate times Because essentially they must have travelled for the same "time" speed alone will not work!
Both statement A and B give speed but no mention on the time travelled or d=20istance.

So i think the answer should be E

Only distance given is the 420 miles which would be combined distance (dA+dB); hence I would go with E

please let me know If i am missing something
Intern
Intern
S
Schools: LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GPA: 4
Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 14:59
HBSdetermined wrote:
Assuming their time of travel will be same (meeting condition DST problem) We need to know the distance covered by each and equate times Because essentially they must have travelled for the same "time" speed alone will not work!
Both statement A and B give speed but no mention on the time travelled or d=20istance.

Only distance given is the 420 miles which would be combined distance (dA+dB); hence I would go with E

This is the explanation provided by kaplan
i spent good 15 minutes on this and could not understand what the answer was trying to say.
Analyze the Question Stem:

Here we have a Data Sufficiency Value question. Remember that a Statement that allows us to solve for a single value as the solution to this problem is considered Sufficient. A statement that results in multiple possible solutions is considered Insufficient.

From the given information in the question, we know that Trains A and B were originally 420 miles apart. We are asked how many miles will it be from the point of origin of A to the point where the trains meet. In order to solve, we will need to know the speed of A and B.

Evaluate the Statements:

Statement (1): Statement (1) tells us the rates of both trains. We can calculate when they would meet by setting them equal to each other using the formula: distance = rate × time. Therefore, Statement (1) is Sufficient. Eliminate choices (B), (C) and (E).

Note that solving is not necessary to determine the sufficiency of the statement. In Data Sufficiency, all we need is the knowledge that we have enough information to do so. This is how these questions can be answered in most cases more quickly than Problem Solving questions.

Statement (2): Statement 2 gives us the proportional relationship between the speeds of the two trains. This is enough information to use the distance formula (distance = rate × time) to calculate when they would meet by setting them equal to each other.

Note again that solving is not necessary to determine the sufficiency of the statement. In Data Sufficiency, all we need is the knowledge that we have enough information to do so. Therefore, Statement (2) is Sufficient. We could use this information to figure out when the trains would meet and how far A is from its original starting point, so Answer Choice (D) is correct.

Combined: Unnecessary
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 3.96
WE: Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 15:13
If someone could actually solve it correctly I can understand where am I missing in my logic!

Posted from my mobile device
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 15:21
achintsodhi wrote:
HBSdetermined wrote:

This is the explanation provided by kaplan
i spent good 15 minutes on this and could not understand what the answer was trying to say.
Analyze the Question Stem:

Here we have a Data Sufficiency Value question. Remember that a Statement that allows us to solve for a single value as the solution to this problem is considered Sufficient. A statement that results in multiple possible solutions is considered Insufficient.

From the given information in the question, we know that Trains A and B were originally 420 miles apart. We are asked how many miles will it be from the point of origin of A to the point where the trains meet. In order to solve, we will need to know the speed of A and B.

Evaluate the Statements:

Statement (1): Statement (1) tells us the rates of both trains. We can calculate when they would meet by setting them equal to each other using the formula: distance = rate × time. Therefore, Statement (1) is Sufficient. Eliminate choices (B), (C) and (E).

Note that solving is not necessary to determine the sufficiency of the statement. In Data Sufficiency, all we need is the knowledge that we have enough information to do so. This is how these questions can be answered in most cases more quickly than Problem Solving questions.

Statement (2): Statement 2 gives us the proportional relationship between the speeds of the two trains. This is enough information to use the distance formula (distance = rate × time) to calculate when they would meet by setting them equal to each other.

Note again that solving is not necessary to determine the sufficiency of the statement. In Data Sufficiency, all we need is the knowledge that we have enough information to do so. Therefore, Statement (2) is Sufficient. We could use this information to figure out when the trains would meet and how far A is from its original starting point, so Answer Choice (D) is correct.

Combined: Unnecessary

Assuming that you are clear about Statement 1, here is the explanation for how statement 2 is sufficient.

Assume,
t hrs is the time taken for Train A to meet a moving Train B.
x miles/hr is the speed of Train B. Therefore, 2x is the speed of Train A.
d is the distance travelled by Train A in t hrs. Therefore, (420-d) is the distance travelled by Train B in the same t hrs.

Now,
d = 2x * t ---> 1
(420-d) = x * t --> 2

2/1 => (420-d)/d = 1/2. We can solve for d.

Hence D.
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2017, 04:35
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

--== Message from GMAT Club Team ==--

This is not a quality discussion. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling &nbs [#permalink] 12 Oct 2017, 04:35

Trains A and B which were originally 420 miles apart began traveling

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap