Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:04 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Transferring undergraduate twice? [#permalink]
See I completely agree with what you've both said.

I should also point out though that Im in SCPS within NYU, a program for non-traditional returning students. The courses and program are identical to the college of arts and sciences, but it may not be as prestigious on a transcript for b school admissions, if i decide to apply.

I'd also think though that I wouldn't really have to mention my transfer to perspective employers unless they ask, right?

My reason for transferring within my hypothetical b school app would be columbias new financial economics undergrad major, which is not offered here. Columbia also has a new business management co-major program, which allows you to take MBA courses, and also participate in recruiting events solely for MBA students. You're also eligible to do their 3+2 program, where you get admitted into the business school starting your senior year and take courses, and complete your BA and MBA in 5 years (its really tough to get in however).

I'm just concerned that the big UCLA/Berk/Stanford crowd in LA won't view me as competitive as their current alumni, but would change their mind if they saw a Columbia grad. It's such a bummer that the industry I'm interested in going into is so about pedigree. I also think that Columbias program is more rigorous as well.

I'd also point out that I was nearly a HS dropout with terrible scores. Getting into columbia itself is something that I've wanted to accomplish for a very long time.

However, I feel very comfortable within NYU and am doing extremely well academically. I even created an independent study course over summer that will teach me financial modeling, LBO modeling, merger models, comp models, accounting, and excel.

I'm so confused :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
applesauce123 wrote:
See I completely agree with what you've both said.

I should also point out though that Im in SCPS within NYU, a program for non-traditional returning students. The courses and program are identical to the college of arts and sciences, but it may not be as prestigious on a transcript for b school admissions, if i decide to apply.

I'd also think though that I wouldn't really have to mention my transfer to perspective employers unless they ask, right?

My reason for transferring within my hypothetical b school app would be columbias new financial economics undergrad major, which is not offered here. Columbia also has a new business management co-major program, which allows you to take MBA courses, and also participate in recruiting events solely for MBA students. You're also eligible to do their 3+2 program, where you get admitted into the business school starting your senior year and take courses, and complete your BA and MBA in 5 years (its really tough to get in however).

I'm just concerned that the big UCLA/Berk/Stanford crowd in LA won't view me as competitive as their current alumni, but would change their mind if they saw a Columbia grad. It's such a bummer that the industry I'm interested in going into is so about pedigree. I also think that Columbias program is more rigorous as well.

I'd also point out that I was nearly a HS dropout with terrible scores. Getting into columbia itself is something that I've wanted to accomplish for a very long time.

However, I feel very comfortable within NYU and am doing extremely well academically. I even created an independent study course over summer that will teach me financial modeling, LBO modeling, merger models, comp models, accounting, and excel.

I'm so confused :(

Well, what are you going to put on your resume if you transfered? grad columbia? that isnt 100% true is it?

Also, Id have to ask about your premise in coming to LA. By the sound of it, you are trying to get into IB (fin modeling, LBO, merger, etc.). LA is a terrible banking city. NYC and SF and maybe Chicago are where you want to be for that in the US.

that columbia program sounds interesting, would you be starting over in it? BTW, the fact that you were nearly a HS dropout and have made it this far is an interesting story, try to use that to your advantage in your future efforts if the opportunity presents itself.

NYU is a good school. If you offer to relo yourself, i doubt cali ppl will opt for a local rather than an east coaster. but seriously, there is no banking in LA. The finance scene is pretty bad here too. Its all about entertainment, hospitality, food, some A&D, some biotech/pharma, but finance isnt at the top at all..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Its interesting, I initially listed my community college and then NYU. I was told by a recruiter as well as the OCR counselor that I only needed to put the institution that would be awarding my degree. If I received an AA from SMC then I'd list it. I was also told to put my GPA from my current academic institution, so that can be verified when I'm receiving an offer, as opposed to cumulative which could complicate HR's life.

I keep hearing that over and over - and I totally agree. That being said, I have no family anywhere other than Cali. I can't work 90+ hours a week without my family as a support system. Big banks (GS, MS, CS, Citi, UBS) all have an IB "presence" there. There's also smaller shops like Houlihan, Moelis, Lazard. Oaktree capital is the big PE firm out there, whom I've already begun the recruiting process with. I'd totally be down for something boutique/middle market in LA. I just need family around me, and I really underestimated that coming to NYC for college.

Well the Columbia Business Management co-major offers courses I haven't taken at NYU, so I don't know if I'd be starting over, rather than beginning (because I'm not really in a business program at NYU). https://www.college.columbia.edu/bulletin/depts/busc.php

Thank you for the encouraging words about my background. I got admitted into UPenn CAS a few weeks ago and that was exhilarating. Unfortunately, their transfer evaluation process is the worst of its kind (much harsher than Columbia), and their requirements are so different that going there would 100% set me back even more than Columbia. Thus, I've opted to not go. It definitely feels good hearing "accepted" though when I can remember only a few years ago being told I may not graduate, and several teachers at my HS petitioned to keep me because of my truancies and what not.

So you feel being an east coaster is working for me? I'm so concerned. I've always heard Cali people who I know personally be like, "Why didn't you go to Berk or UCLA," or, "What is NYU known for again...Film?"

I really appreciate your help. Neither of my parents graduated college, and I don't have many friends that are in college, or at least in college for the same reasons as I. I've become really reliant on forums and such not having an official mentor in this regard.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
why do you want to work in cali so bad?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
- My only family lives there
- I love the beach lifestyle
- Hate east coast weather
- East coast is a little to proper for me
- Like laid back social atmospheres
- Love car culture
- My idea of a family is a big house with a backyard, relatively close to where I work, and not an apartment (even if its huge)
- My only family lives there (to the tenth power)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
its banking, use the NYC connections and get over there, worry less about the school and just make it happen. I worked in LA, people from every school in the world are there.
GMAT Club Bot