GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 191
Schools: ABCD
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2012, 10:11
1
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:07) correct 31% (01:17) wrong based on 576 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?


A. The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
B. Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
C. The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
D. Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
E. Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.


OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.


Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2010
Posts: 328
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2012, 10:32
1
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.


OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.
Thanks


Answer choice A brings a classic flaw in the argument above. It shows that the selection of hotels are biased. It intentionally picked the better designed European Hotels or other way round u can say it picked the worse American hotels for comparison. ie. the selection of hotels are biased.
_________________

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2009
Posts: 50
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2012, 18:41
a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal. – affecting the conclusion by weakening
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design –general statement. Not affecting the conclusion
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel. --irrelevant
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe. --irrelevant
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design. --irrelevant

Conclusion is, “European hotels are better designed than American hotels”
_________________

Please provide kudos if you like my post. Thank you.

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2012, 21:16
3
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.


OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.


Thanks


Responding to a pm: Why do you feel that the travel agent is disagreeing with the author? The travel agent's argument is the same as the argument of the author. He says that the book claims so and so and the claim is justified by a thorough comparison of so and so etc. I don't see the travel agent disagreeing with the author or being skeptical of the book/author. If anything, the use of the word 'thorough' makes me feel that he is trying to persuade the listener of the author's opinion.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 67
Schools: IIM
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2012, 05:00
A is not looking a good answer.

The premise says that the travel agent has compared 25 popular European hotels with 25 popular American hotels. So, how can he review the hotels which serve his purpose.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 191
Schools: ABCD
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2012, 11:29
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.


OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.


Thanks


Responding to a pm: Why do you feel that the travel agent is disagreeing with the author? The travel agent's argument is the same as the argument of the author. He says that the book claims so and so and the claim is justified by a thorough comparison of so and so etc. I don't see the travel agent disagreeing with the author or being skeptical of the book/author. If anything, the use of the word 'thorough' makes me feel that he is trying to persuade the listener of the author's opinion.



Karishma,
Thanks for your reply. The entire article, in my opinion, has a neutral language. The word "thorough" could also imply a neutral analysis about the study.
In fact, after re-reading the prompt, I feel that the agent is not agreeing. (confused :( )
Let's take an example :
Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it? In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/07/ ... ing-skills

The gmatprep question clearly states the stand "In this the book must be right"..I just to make sure that I am not missing anything in this problem. Please let me know your thoughts.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1277
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2012, 16:56
+1 A

Probably, the group of European hotels is not representative.
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 498
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:03
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.


OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.


Thanks


I agree with your point. a) supports Travel agent's argument.
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:17
voodoochild wrote:

Karishma,
Thanks for your reply. The entire article, in my opinion, has a neutral language. The word "thorough" could also imply a neutral analysis about the study.
In fact, after re-reading the prompt, I feel that the agent is not agreeing. (confused :( )
Let's take an example :
Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it? In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem: http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2012/07/ ... ing-skills

The gmatprep question clearly states the stand "In this the book must be right"..I just to make sure that I am not missing anything in this problem. Please let me know your thoughts.


I replied to this post yesterday but I cannot see it anywhere today. Anyway, I will give the gist of what I wrote yesterday:

Quote:"Tom: Harry says that British cars are worse than German cars. Harry did a detailed study of 34 cars. The study didn't even consider Mclaren.

What does it tell you? Tom is disagreeing with Harry. Isn't it?"

You are right. I certainly get the feeling that Tom doesn't agree. But this argument does not parallel the original argument.

Quote: "Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones. "

The last sentence is a part of the book's conclusion. The author of the book found that none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones and hence, none of the American hotels were as well designed as European ones.
The travel agent is just telling you what the author did and what he found. He is not giving his own input.

Quote: "In fact, this question appears to be a copy-paste from this gmatprep problem"

It is on the same lines, definitely. Actually, we strive to do that so that you can practice "GMAT like questions". Just like in the GMAT prep questions, here too the travel agent is supporting the book even though the stand is not clearly given.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 498
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:24
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8288
Location: Pune, India
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:46
1
getgyan wrote:
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?


How will the travel agent know that the American hotels were not as complexly designed as the European ones? Only the author, who has done a thorough comparison, can say it, isn't it?
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Affiliations: SAE
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Posts: 498
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2012, 22:53
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
getgyan wrote:
Thanks Karishma

But how do we know that the last sentence is book's conclusion and not agent's conclusion?


How will the travel agent know that the American hotels were not as complexly designed as the European ones? Only the author, who has done a thorough comparison, can say it, isn't it?


Thanks,

But why not? It would then be an assumption. What if the last sentence was agent's conclusion? How would the answer change?
_________________

First Attempt 710 - http://gmatclub.com/forum/first-attempt-141273.html

SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1789
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 09:13
this is a common pattern in gmat, but it is hard to detect.
Using POE, only E is left.
Using the logic, A is right because A points out the flaw that the sample has been unfairly chosen.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 06 Jun 2013
Posts: 171
Location: India
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 19:26
why it is not C. here we are talking about 25 popular hotels in europe and america. i was confused between A and C and opted for C and got it wrong.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1789
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 20:22
brs1cob wrote:
why it is not C. here we are talking about 25 popular hotels in europe and america. i was confused between A and C and opted for C and got it wrong.


C cannot be the answer b/c the main idea of C is all about the key word "other books". Also, C attacks the credibility of the author of the argument, not the argument itself; this is known as a common fallacy.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 9
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 18:46
Can anyone please tell me what is the problem with choice B. The conclusion is American hotels are better than European Hotel and the comparison which is being used here is the complexity . If we can show that there can be other criterion for measuring comparison then the argument gets weakened .
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 06 Nov 2016
Posts: 60
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.54
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 21:00
Tanmoy93 wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what is the problem with choice B. The conclusion is American hotels are better than European Hotel and the comparison which is being used here is the complexity . If we can show that there can be other criterion for measuring comparison then the argument gets weakened .


Author compares American hotels' design to European hotels' design.
Even if hotels are judged by other merits (i.e. facilities, customer service), the judgement on design isn't affected. Thus, B doesn't weaken travel agent's argument.

This question tests concept of representative sampling, one of the most common argument patterns in CR. Here are the posts you may find useful
Sampling in Official GMAT CR Questions
Frequently Appearing Patterns on the GMAT CR Section with Practice Q

Hope this helps.
_________________

(^人^)
Image

GMATCLUB Search for tags

GMAC © Official Guides - The Master Directory + Links

Question Directory by Topic & Difficulty
Problem Solving | Data Sufficiency | Sentence Correction | Critical Reasoning | Reading Comprehension

ONLINE FREE (FULL LENGTH) GMAT CAT (PRACTICE TESTS) LINK COLLECTION

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 23
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 00:47
voodoochild wrote:
Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels. This claim is justified by a thorough comparison of 25 populat European hotels and 25 popular American hotels. In this comparison, none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones.

The travel agent's argument is most vulnerable to which of the following criticisms?

a) The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal.
b) Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design
c) The author of the book has written other books favoring European travel.
d) Hotels in other parts of the world may be better designed than those in Europe.
e) Someone who hasn't been to Europe might not appreciate hotel design.


OA is A - Why? After all, A) supports Travel Agent's argument. Travel agent tends to disagree with the author of the book. How could A) be a criticism of his argument?

I am unsure about all the five answer choices.


Thanks


We have to find an option , which will make us realise that American hotels design are not inferior when compared to European hotels. Note : The author has judged this based on the book.

Yes you may be get confused between B and A ! In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels !! This statement is very much important , which made it clear because of the book the author could complain. So the author's knowledge can be limited to the book , which he is referring to ! If it was only regarding hotels , which option B states Hotels can be judged by other merits besides design , then it could have been the option. But over here , the reasoning is made on the basis of the book.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 01 Feb 2018
Posts: 62
Location: India
CAT Tests
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 03:45
Tanmoy93 wrote:
Can anyone please tell me what is the problem with choice B. The conclusion is American hotels are better than European Hotel and the comparison which is being used here is the complexity . If we can show that there can be other criterion for measuring comparison then the argument gets weakened .


Tanmoy93

The argument states that the hotels are compared based on design, see this line "the author claims that European hotels are better designed than American hotels". So we don't need to consider other factors as we are only concerned about design.

In this case we are comparing 25 American hotels and 25 European hotels, and what if the selection of hotels is biased? For example, we cannot compare Hilton in Europe to some ABC hotel in America which is probably a 3 Start hotel.
So option A states, "The hotels reviewed by the book may be those that best serve its proposal." which will definitely break the authors claim that none of the American hotels were as complexly designed as any of the European ones because the comparison is not fair.

Hope this helps.
_________________

Please press Kudos if this helped :-)

“Going in one more round when you don't think you can, that's what makes all the difference in your life.”

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Nov 2016
Posts: 9
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2018, 07:46
Thank you everyone for clearing my silly doubt. Really appreciate your efforts.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu &nbs [#permalink] 27 Aug 2018, 07:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Travel Agent: In the book travelling abroad, the author claims that Eu

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.