GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 00:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 31
Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 16:24
I would love some advice re: Yale v Tuck. Considerations: I'm coming from a non-profit background, but planning to transition to consulting. I want to keep the door open to transition back into the non-profit/social impact world as well, however. I have visited both schools, and while I liked both, I got a slightly better feeling about the Yale community. I was also offered a scholarship at both schools -- slightly more at Yale. I'm leaning towards Yale, but I am hesitant because I think the recruiting resources for my interests may be better at Tuck. I'm interested if people have general thoughts on school culture, as well as recruiting resources for students.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 12 Oct 2016
Posts: 28
Location: United States
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
GRE 1: Q169 V162
GPA: 3.8
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 16:56
kvw547239 wrote:
I would love some advice re: Yale v Tuck. Considerations: I'm coming from a non-profit background, but planning to transition to consulting. I want to keep the door open to transition back into the non-profit/social impact world as well, however. I have visited both schools, and while I liked both, I got a slightly better feeling about the Yale community. I was also offered a scholarship at both schools -- slightly more at Yale. I'm leaning towards Yale, but I am hesitant because I think the recruiting resources for my interests may be better at Tuck. I'm interested if people have general thoughts on school culture, as well as recruiting resources for students.


Based on the fact that Yale is giving more $$$ and because of their strength in the non-profit sector, I would go with Yale SOM. It's also not like they're a slouch when it comes to recruiting for consulting either.
Founder
Founder
User avatar
V
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 19026
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2016, 17:11
Two fantastic schools. You will definitely find a bit more of non profit minded culture at Yale but consulting is a strong suit for both schools.

Tuck is most famous for its Alum support base but Yale beats it with the name recognition outside of the US. Almost forgot - Yale does offer loan forgiveness to grads who go into non-profit; this may be a nice differentiator. Have you looked into that?

Very close call. Congratulations on getting into both!




Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 31
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 07:04
bb wrote:
Two fantastic schools. You will definitely find a bit more of non profit minded culture at Yale but consulting is a strong suit for both schools.

Tuck is most famous for its Alum support base but Yale beats it with the name recognition outside of the US. Almost forgot - Yale does offer loan forgiveness to grads who go into non-profit; this may be a nice differentiator. Have you looked into that?

Very close call. Congratulations on getting into both!




Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Thank you!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 31
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 07:06
mrteacher wrote:
kvw547239 wrote:
I would love some advice re: Yale v Tuck. Considerations: I'm coming from a non-profit background, but planning to transition to consulting. I want to keep the door open to transition back into the non-profit/social impact world as well, however. I have visited both schools, and while I liked both, I got a slightly better feeling about the Yale community. I was also offered a scholarship at both schools -- slightly more at Yale. I'm leaning towards Yale, but I am hesitant because I think the recruiting resources for my interests may be better at Tuck. I'm interested if people have general thoughts on school culture, as well as recruiting resources for students.


Based on the fact that Yale is giving more $$$ and because of their strength in the non-profit sector, I would go with Yale SOM. It's also not like they're a slouch when it comes to recruiting for consulting either.


Thanks, this makes sense...a better scholarship is also hard to turn down.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 51
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 10:15
kvw547239 wrote:
I would love some advice re: Yale v Tuck. Considerations: I'm coming from a non-profit background, but planning to transition to consulting. I want to keep the door open to transition back into the non-profit/social impact world as well, however. I have visited both schools, and while I liked both, I got a slightly better feeling about the Yale community. I was also offered a scholarship at both schools -- slightly more at Yale. I'm leaning towards Yale, but I am hesitant because I think the recruiting resources for my interests may be better at Tuck. I'm interested if people have general thoughts on school culture, as well as recruiting resources for students.


Yale's newest employment report just came out and the consulting numbers are better than last years. Not sure how it compares to Tuck because I haven't researched consulting too much, but I would imagine they are pretty similar. I know Tuck has always been a consulting powerhouse but I think Yale continues to grow stronger in that industry especially.

http://som.yale.edu/programs/mba/career ... ent-report
Board of Directors
avatar
B
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1593
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 08:17
Can't speak for Tuck but you'll certainly find people with your background at Yale who have successfully transitioned from pre MBA non profit to post MBA consulting (and generally you'll see more SOM students using the MBA to transition out of non profit than go into it immediately post MBA). The class of 2016 did well in consulting --on par with Tucks numbers according to @porkbun. Look into the employment reports though and see what firms are recruiting on campus. You may favor one set of firms over another. If you want to chat with a current student or alum with a similar background, message me or @Wilch and we'll see if we can connect you.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 49
Schools: Yale '19 (A)
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 19:26
I'm copy pasting a response from the Yale admitted student's thread which is highly relevant here:

aerien wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:
Can anyone provide insight into MBB recruiting prospects from Yale? This is my biggest concern at the moment. Thanks!


All MBB of course recruit on campus plus the other major firms and more niche ones. Check the latest employment report if you haven't already; the class of 2016 did really well for consulting and I'll say really strong placements for MBB within that. We've had students place internationally across North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East so geographic options are certainly available if that's what you're looking for. For the US most people fall into the NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF and LA areas (moving geographically East to West; not in terms of numbers of placements). Most end up being generalists based on how the firms hire and for McK we've had traction across their generalist program as well as the implementation and digital practices. Relatedly for the likes of a Deloitte or PwC there are people who have more general strategy roles as well as operations and human capital. All these functions have recruited on campus.

For current recruiting info, it'd be best to reach out to the consulting club specifically (contact info for clubs should be up on the website). They may have more specific stats they can give out.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 31
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 11:22
alphanumericman wrote:
I'm copy pasting a response from the Yale admitted student's thread which is highly relevant here:

aerien wrote:
alphanumericman wrote:
Can anyone provide insight into MBB recruiting prospects from Yale? This is my biggest concern at the moment. Thanks!


All MBB of course recruit on campus plus the other major firms and more niche ones. Check the latest employment report if you haven't already; the class of 2016 did really well for consulting and I'll say really strong placements for MBB within that. We've had students place internationally across North America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East so geographic options are certainly available if that's what you're looking for. For the US most people fall into the NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, SF and LA areas (moving geographically East to West; not in terms of numbers of placements). Most end up being generalists based on how the firms hire and for McK we've had traction across their generalist program as well as the implementation and digital practices. Relatedly for the likes of a Deloitte or PwC there are people who have more general strategy roles as well as operations and human capital. All these functions have recruited on campus.

For current recruiting info, it'd be best to reach out to the consulting club specifically (contact info for clubs should be up on the website). They may have more specific stats they can give out.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Thanks, very helpful.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 188
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 16:12
In terms of consulting SOM does well, but specifically looking at MBB rates, Tuck is still a fair bit ahead (class of 2016). With that said, if you think you'll be going back to social impact / non-profit and SOM has given you a scholarship, go to SOM. They have a better loan forgiveness program as well.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 51
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 05:10
Flyte wrote:
In terms of consulting SOM does well, but specifically looking at MBB rates, Tuck is still a fair bit ahead (class of 2016). With that said, if you think you'll be going back to social impact / non-profit and SOM has given you a scholarship, go to SOM. They have a better loan forgiveness program as well.


Hey Flyte where did you find placements for the class of 2016? I can't find it published. It looks like for the class of 2015 that percentage was 16.7% approximately.

Also I reached out to the consulting club at Yale and they said Yale SOM's MBB placement in 2016 was around 15%. FWIW they said that number has been steadily increasing over the last few years.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 188
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2017, 16:46
JLAR2107 wrote:
Flyte wrote:
In terms of consulting SOM does well, but specifically looking at MBB rates, Tuck is still a fair bit ahead (class of 2016). With that said, if you think you'll be going back to social impact / non-profit and SOM has given you a scholarship, go to SOM. They have a better loan forgiveness program as well.


Hey Flyte where did you find placements for the class of 2016? I can't find it published. It looks like for the class of 2015 that percentage was 16.7% approximately.

Also I reached out to the consulting club at Yale and they said Yale SOM's MBB placement in 2016 was around 15%. FWIW they said that number has been steadily increasing over the last few years.


I am a recent (2016) grad and was in the consulting club. It should be published soon.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 27 Mar 2016
Posts: 322
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2017, 19:09
Any difference in recruiting opportunities for consulting is probably not great. While MBB placement seems more impressive at Tuck, this may be a result of more students coming to Tuck with consulting background. I don't think it is a stretch to say that people with non-profit background find it harder to break into consulting than those that come from the consulting world.

Would you mind sharing your profile for future applicants? Your admission outcome is top notch! :!:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 15 Sep 2013
Posts: 188
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2017, 06:49
HiLine wrote:
Any difference in recruiting opportunities for consulting is probably not great. While MBB placement seems more impressive at Tuck, this may be a result of more students coming to Tuck with consulting background. I don't think it is a stretch to say that people with non-profit background find it harder to break into consulting than those that come from the consulting world.

Would you mind sharing your profile for future applicants? Your admission outcome is top notch! :!:


Actually, outside of the sponsored students (Bain, McK, OW), most of those going to MBB and consulting writ large at Tuck do NOT have a pre-MBA consulting background. I would say from my experiences and those of friends who attended SOM, there is still a difference in consulting recruiting (specifically MBB) between the two schools, though SOM has narrowed the gap a bit in recent years.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 51
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 08:03
Did you have a chance to speak to the consulting club this weekend at Welcome Weekend? The placements were really impressive this year for MBB. I think it was 24 McKinsey, 18 for Bain, and about 15 for BCG. They tripled their placements in Bain and BCG this past year though for a smaller program it seems more feasible.

If you saw the numbers the CDO provided those were for the previous years' class.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 02 Sep 2015
Posts: 51
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.97
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 08:06
JLAR2107 wrote:
Did you have a chance to speak to the consulting club this weekend at Welcome Weekend? The placements were really impressive this year for MBB. I think it was 24 McKinsey, 18 for Bain, and about 15 for BCG. They tripled their placements in Bain and BCG this past year though for a smaller program it seems more feasible.

If you saw the numbers the CDO provided those were for the previous years' class.


Keeping this in mind I think Tuck has more clout with LEK, Parthenon-EY, and other smaller firms. I was told Yale SOM is becoming more well-respected by those types of firms but might not be on the level of Tuck.
Board of Directors
avatar
B
Status: Yale SOM!
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 1593
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2017, 06:58
1
JLAR2107 wrote:
JLAR2107 wrote:
Did you have a chance to speak to the consulting club this weekend at Welcome Weekend? The placements were really impressive this year for MBB. I think it was 24 McKinsey, 18 for Bain, and about 15 for BCG. They tripled their placements in Bain and BCG this past year though for a smaller program it seems more feasible.

If you saw the numbers the CDO provided those were for the previous years' class.


Keeping this in mind I think Tuck has more clout with LEK, Parthenon-EY, and other smaller firms. I was told Yale SOM is becoming more well-respected by those types of firms but might not be on the level of Tuck.


Id agree with this statement for now. I wouldn't be surprised if the trend in strong consulting numbers continues for SOM. Definitely trending up.


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
_________________

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2763
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2017, 16:10
Yale is certainly on the upswing , but Tuck probably make sense for your most immediate goals. You already have experience in non-profit so if you are legitametly trying to make a career change Tuck would give you the best chance at this. Now take money and some of the other culture things into consideration it feels like you want to be at Yale. I generally recommend when things are this close you go with where you feel most at home, so go with Yale
_________________
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2017, 16:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck v Yale for recruiting (Consulting, social impact)

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne