GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 28 Feb 2020, 17:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck Vs Darden ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

What should I choose

• 54% [27]
  • 46% [23]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
Tuck Vs Darden ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 05:25
Goals:
- Career in MBBs

Tuck-Pros:
-Stronger on Consulting and MBB
-Strong Alumni Network
-Ivy Tag
-Jobs in NYC/Boston
-Cold
-Isolated location
-No $( Debt)

Darden- Pros:
-Good consulting record, probably not as strong on MBB
-Scholarship on resume
-Charlottesville sounds more lively and is definitely warmer
-Jobs in TX/Mid atlantic

What makes the decision difficult is that the schools are very close on the business rankings but Tuck seems to have a much better perception and reputation. Culturally, the colleges are close. Since I have never lived in the states, I really have no preference for my job location. Is it a good idea to let go of the chance at an Ivy for the $$?
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck Vs Darden ($$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jan 2016, 09:02
I voted for Tuck (current Tuck student so I may be biased). If your goal is MBB, particularly as you cited MBB in NYC/Boston, Tuck is an easy choice. Percentage-wise, Tuck sends 20+% of each graduating class to MBB and do particularly well in the Northeast. There are literally dozens of Tuckies in each of the three firms in Boston and a ton in NYC as well. Tuck percentage-wise (going into MBB) performs better than any other MBA program out there.

As for the alumni network, people outside of the network obviously recognize it is exceedingly strong and close-knit; however, since coming to Tuck I have been absolutely blown away by how responsive Tuck alumni have been. From MBB Partners to CEOs are always happy to talk to students, it is really unbelievable.
SVP
SVP
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus '21 (M$)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 00:32
I'm not sure any more if Charlottesville is warmer after horrible snow storms that hit USA.

The vibe of Tuck is unparalleled (I'm not student or alumni). The interaction with its students was great. They are very responsive to me. So I can imagine how close and responsive to current students. What I know from different students how environment supports learning. Clearly, Tuck is a gate way to the consulting. One of the alumni in consulting (not MBB) talked about how some electives helped him in his career when talking with clients. I personally find Tuck's electives more diverse. its isolation area won't halt you networking. Its employment report is evident. I will go with Tuck.

To give balance view, Darden is a great school. it has its share for MBB but not like Tuck. I know a Darden alumni who works in Bain and really loved school. Its new Dean aim to increase Darden's share into MBB. The employment report is great too.

If you take the amount of money as factor because of personal reasons. so no doubt it will Darden.

good luck
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.54
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 08:48
MBB each interviewed 50-65 FY students at Darden for internships this year. With your GMAT, assuming a decent undergrad record, you will absolutely get interviews with all 3 firms at Darden. From there, it's pretty much up to you to do the rest.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.55
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2016, 18:55
If you really are location agnostic, Darden places very well in DC/ATL and the case method certainly sounds like it would help with prep for interviews. Charlottesville is gorgeous (the undergraduate campus is a UNESCO site). If you want the rest of the US market, Tuck will provide a clearer track. I'd probably go with Darden from what you describe above.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 09:36
jxio wrote:
MBB each interviewed 50-65 FY students at Darden for internships this year. With your GMAT, assuming a decent undergrad record, you will absolutely get interviews with all 3 firms at Darden. From there, it's pretty much up to you to do the rest.

Just to give you the parallel numbers at Tuck MBB each interview 100+ FY (McKinsey interviewed close to 120 between US and international).

So for comparison:
Darden: ~57 each for interview out of a class size of 334 (~17%)
Tuck: 100+ each for interview out of a class size of 280 (~36%)

Basically, let's take Bain or BCG, they interview 17% of Darden's class versus 36% of Tuck's class. Thus, your chances of getting interviews at MBB are far better at Tuck.

Additionally Tuck operates a bid system for 50% of the recruiting spots, meaning if you don't get all three of MBB (say you only get 2 of the 3), you can guarantee yourself an interview at the third.

Happy to elaborate if needed.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Darden '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 13:27
Just to add to the conversation a bit. I'm currently a SY at Darden who interned at/will be returning to an MBB. This year, we interviewed ~~100 FYs at McKinsey, 75 FYs at BCG and 70 FYs at Bain, so our numbers may be slightly lower than Tuck's.

My general thoughts are that if you get MBB, you likely would have gotten it at either Tuck or at Darden. All firms (including the other consulting firms that recruit) have very high bars that the candidates must meet, regardless of what school you're coming from. There is a very slight advantage of going to Tuck vs. Darden just to have a higher probability of getting an interview, but once you have that interview, I would argue little if no advantage exists by being at either Darden or Tuck.

At the end of the day, Tuck and Darden are both awesome schools, and likely will both provide you the opportunity to interview for the job that you want. You should make that decision based on your cost benefit analysis of the half scholarship plus wherever you think you'd rather be for 2 years.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Jan 2016, 23:05
Also in support of Darden - here is a great review from of the current 2nd year students: http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/darden-15
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2016, 07:37
Toews2Kane wrote:
Just to add to the conversation a bit. I'm currently a SY at Darden who interned at/will be returning to an MBB. This year, we interviewed ~~100 FYs at McKinsey, 75 FYs at BCG and 70 FYs at Bain, so our numbers may be slightly lower than Tuck's.

My general thoughts are that if you get MBB, you likely would have gotten it at either Tuck or at Darden. All firms (including the other consulting firms that recruit) have very high bars that the candidates must meet, regardless of what school you're coming from. There is a very slight advantage of going to Tuck vs. Darden just to have a higher probability of getting an interview, but once you have that interview, I would argue little if no advantage exists by being at either Darden or Tuck.

At the end of the day, Tuck and Darden are both awesome schools, and likely will both provide you the opportunity to interview for the job that you want. You should make that decision based on your cost benefit analysis of the half scholarship plus wherever you think you'd rather be for 2 years.

Not to belabor the point but the bolded part above is misleading. Even if one were to take the estimates above versus the estimates from the other Darden poster, you would get the information below, which is quite significant. Further Tuck, unlike most programs including Darden, allows you to bid for 50% of our interview slots, thus if you come from a non-traditional background, get overlooked, etc. you can still guarantee yourself an interview (which are blind, interviewers don't know if you were offered a slot or bid for it). I know a number of classmates who received MBB offers this way. Finally, the OP said he preferred NYC/Boston for MBB (under his pros). Tuck literally fills the Boston office of all three and places easily over a dozen into NYC offices of MBB each year.

Tuck:
McKinsey - 120/280= 42.9% of the class get interviews
Bain - 100/280= 36%
BCG - (went back and checked they interviewed 106 including international)= 38%

Darden:
McKinsey - 100/334= 29.9%
Bain - 22%
BCG - 21%

In the end, both are good schools, but Tuck is significantly better if your goal is MBB, particular for NYC/Boston.
Manager
Manager
B
Schools: Darden '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2016, 03:38
With the Nov Round results for Tuck around the corner, I can be in the very same situation. So watching very closely, please keep the comments coming!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Tuck Vs Darden ($$)   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2016, 03:38

Tuck Vs Darden ($$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste