GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2018, 14:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 03:20
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (01:34) correct 58% (01:51) wrong based on 403 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following are possible areas of the triangle?

I. 2
II. 12
III. 24

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

Kudos for a correct solution.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Most Helpful Expert Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 22:44
Hi All,

When you're given the lengths of two sides of a triangle, you have no way of knowing what type of triangle you're dealing with. It MIGHT be a right triangle. It MIGHT be isosceles. It MIGHT be a really long, thin triangle that's ALMOST a straight line (but still has 3 distinct sides).

As such, you have to find the maximum value for the area; with that, you know that every SMALLER area is also possible. In this type of situation, the maximum area will occur if the two sides form the legs of a right triangle. With these side lengths (6 and 8), we'd have...

Area = (1/2)(6)(8) = 24 = maximum possible area

Now we know that the range of possible areas is 0 < Area <= 24.

So all three values are possible.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

General Discussion
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 05:50
I. 2
IMHO this area is impossible, because if this would be possible than the height to the largest side with length of 8 would have to be 2*2/8 = 1/2
Third side would be larger than 2 (because of sides 6 and 8), and i think the height to the largest side will be larger than 1/2

III. 24
This area is possible, 6*8*1/2 = 24

II. 12
Upon analysing answer options without I and with III option there is only one answer: C

Answer is C, II and III are possible areas

p.s. solved very quickly, in less than 20 sec
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 07:03
Plastelin wrote:
I. 2
IMHO this area is impossible, because if this would be possible than the height to the largest side with length of 8 would have to be 2*2/8 = 1/2
Third side would be larger than 2 (because of sides 6 and 8), and i think the height to the largest side will be larger than 1/2

III. 24
This area is possible, 6*8*1/2 = 24

II. 12
Upon analysing answer options without I and with III option there is only one answer: C

Answer is C, II and III are possible areas

p.s. solved very quickly, in less than 20 sec

hi why cant be the height be less than 2...
yes the third side has to be more than>2,otherwise it will become a straight line...
say the side is just above 2.. then the height can be .1,.2,1/3,1/4 etc
so we have base 8 and height 1/8... area =1/2*1/8*8=1/2 .. so 2 is possible

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 07:07
Bunuel wrote:
Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following are possible areas of the triangle?

I. 2
II. 12
III. 24

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

hi,
lets see the minimum value and max value..
1)min value...
two sides are 6,8.. third side has to be more than 2, otherwise we will have a straight line...
with height slightly above 2, we can have height as 1/10,1/8,1/2 etc.. so min value can be any positive number, fraction decimal etc...
2) max valve ..
lets take these as two sides of a right angle triangle, then area=1/2*8*6=24..

all three values fit in so ans E..

1) Absolute modulus : http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
2)Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html
3) effects of arithmetic operations : https://gmatclub.com/forum/effects-of-arithmetic-operations-on-fractions-269413.html

GMAT online Tutor

SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:18
Answer = E. I, II, and III

With dimensions of only 2 sides given (for a triangle), this becomes an open ended question

Any area is possible out of the three

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:25
PareshGmat wrote:

With dimensions of only 2 sides given (for a triangle), this becomes an open ended question

hi paresh,
there is a limitation on the upper end of area, which is area of a right angle triangle with these two sides..

GMAT online Tutor

SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Feb 2015, 02:47
chetan2u wrote:
PareshGmat wrote:

hi paresh,
there is a limitation on the upper end of area, which is area of a right angle triangle with these two sides..

Fully agree Chetan... that's why mentioned out of the three given :)

Area is maximum when height is maximum

Height is maximum when its a right triangle

Attachment:
angle.png
angle.png [ 4.18 KiB | Viewed 23360 times ]

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 05:41
Bunuel wrote:

I. 2
II. 12
III. 24

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

MAGOOSH OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

This requires a picture explanation. Consider the leg of 6 and the leg of 8 attached at a "hinged" joint at B.
Attachment:
originals.jpg
originals.jpg [ 15.57 KiB | Viewed 23293 times ]

Here, the angle is made very narrow, only 1/100 of a degree. The area of this triangle would be 0.00419 --- you don't need to be able to calculate something like this for the test. The point is -- if the angle were one millionth, or one billionth, the area could be really really small --- greater than zero, but a really tiny decimal. So, clearly, the area can be less than two.

Here, I moved the legs of 6 and 8 apart a little, and produced a triangle with an area of exactly two:
Attachment:
originals (1).jpg
originals (1).jpg [ 19.59 KiB | Viewed 23299 times ]

Again, you don't have to know how to build a triangle like this: this is just to show you that it is, indeed possible.

As we increase the angle, we get triangles with more and more area. You do not need to know how to find these areas --- this is just to demonstrate that the area would increase.
Attachment:
originals (2).jpg
originals (2).jpg [ 21.71 KiB | Viewed 23302 times ]

Attachment:
originals (3).jpg
originals (3).jpg [ 22.77 KiB | Viewed 23308 times ]

Attachment:
originals (4).jpg
originals (4).jpg [ 22.5 KiB | Viewed 23271 times ]

Now, there's a geometry theorem that states, when the angle is 90°, the area of the triangle will be a maximum. At that point, the length of 8 will be the base, and the length of 6 will be the height, so the area = 0.5*bh = 24, the maximum possible area.

Thus, the triangle can have all three areas: I, II, and III.

Answer = E.

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2015, 05:42
Bunuel wrote:

I. 2
II. 12
III. 24

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. II and III only
D. I and III only
E. I, II, and III

Similar questions to practice:
if-two-sides-of-a-triangle-are-12-and-8-which-of-the-141227.html
if-two-sides-of-a-triangle-have-lengths-2-and-5-which-of-th-163409.html

New to the Math Forum?

Resources:

Collection of Questions:

LBS Thread Master
B
Concentration: Other, General Management
Schools: LBS '19 (WL)
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 08:41
Hi Rich,

Going with your logic on the areas, and looking at this example- if-two-sides-of-a-triangle-are-12-and-8-which-of-the-141227.html

Why cant we find possible outcomes for the third leg and then try and see if we get an area

Eg, from the link, let third side be x
then 12-8<x<20
so if we assume x to be 16,, and assume the triangle is a right triangle with 12 as the height,
Then we can have an area of 1/2*12*16 = 64, therefore the area can be more than 56

Any thoughts??
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2015, 11:24
Hi Tmoni26,

You can actually catch the error in this logic yourself. Try drawing the triangle that you describe. What are the 3 sides (and how does this NOT match up with the information in the prompt)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 06:44
PareshGmat wrote:

Well, there is another way to solve such questions using trignometry. Area of a triangle is \(1/2absin\)(\(\alpha\)), where \(a\) and \(b\) are any two sides of the triangle and \(\alpha\) is the angle contained by these two sides. Now area is maximum when sine function becomes \(1\) at \(\alpha\) \(=\)\(90^{\circ}\). Also area tends to \(0\) as \(\alpha\) approaches \(0^{\circ}\).
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2015, 13:24
Hi ravindra88,

You're going to find that most GMAT questions can be solved in a variety of ways, so you should look for whichever method is easiest/fastest for you. It is worth noting, however, that Trigonometry is NOT tested on the GMAT, so choosing to use such an approach is up to you (but is not expected of you).

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 19:49
2 ways to solve it:
1 - plug in numbers:
h=1/2. 1/2*8 /2 = 2. 1 yes.
h=1. 1*8/2 = 4. 2 yes.
h=6. 6*8/2 = 24. 3 yes.

other method:
third side must be greater than 2, less than 14.
greatest possible area thus can be almost 14*8/2 or slightly less than 56.
everything below - is possible, so long as it is not 0 or negative.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2017, 00:29
24 is the one possibility if it is a right angled triangle. once we get this, the only thing we need to do is to change the angle between the two given sides and thus changing the height before it becomes 0 degree or 180 degree (both excluded). so area can be anything based on the height of the triangle.
Director
Director
G
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2017, 22:24
I did it this way.

Area= 0.5 *base*height

We have no clue about the third side. It may not be an integer.
We just know that: 2<third side<14

But there are so many values that c can take even in this range.

Let's work with the options:

1) Area= 2= 0.5 *b*h
b*h= 4

2) b*h= 24

3) b*h= 48

There are many possible values that can result in these products.
So I selected all three.

Does this make sense?

Help me make my explanation better by providing a logical feedback.

If you liked the post, HIT KUDOS !!

Don't quit.............Do it.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 11 Feb 2018, 20:31
Shiv2016 wrote:
I did it this way.

Area= 0.5 *base*height

We have no clue about the third side. It may not be an integer.
We just know that: 2<third side<14

But there are so many values that c can take even in this range.

Let's work with the options:

1) Area= 2= 0.5 *b*h
b*h= 4

2) b*h= 24

3) b*h= 48

There are many possible values that can result in these products.
So I selected all three.

Does this make sense?

Thanks RIch

Originally posted by Buttercup3 on 13 Jul 2017, 21:41.
Last edited by Buttercup3 on 11 Feb 2018, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 07:28
Hi Buttercup3,

The answer to your question can be found in a number of posts earlier on in the thread. Here's one of them:

When you're given the lengths of two sides of a triangle, you have no way of knowing what type of triangle you're dealing with. It MIGHT be a right triangle. It MIGHT be isosceles. It MIGHT be a really long, thin triangle that's ALMOST a straight line (but still has 3 distinct sides).

As such, you have to find the maximum value for the area; with that, you know that every SMALLER area is also possible. In this type of situation, the maximum area will occur if the two sides form the legs of a right triangle. With these side lengths (6 and 8), we'd have...

So all three areas (including "2") are possible.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 09:29
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Buttercup3,

The answer to your question can be found in a number of posts earlier on in the thread. Here's one of them:

So all three areas (including "2") are possible.

Rich

Thank You Sir for the reply :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2017, 09:29

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

Two sides of a triangle have length 6 and 8. Which of the following ar

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap