GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 08 Apr 2020, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UCLA Anderson MBA vs Stanford MS&E

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 25% [2]
  • 75% [6]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GRE 1: Q800 V760
GPA: 3.76
WE: Sales (Computer Hardware)
UCLA Anderson MBA vs Stanford MS&E  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 06:41
Hi GCers,

I have admits from these programs, and I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. Would really appreciate any inputs you have for me.

Notes -

25 years old, 3 years work-ex in high-tech, Tier-2 undergrad with 9+/10 GPA
No fin aid from either - Will have to spend 150k$ (UCLA) vs 100k$ (Stanford)
International applicant
Want to work in Tech (open to startups)/Consulting
Salary not too important, as long as I can pay back my loans in quick time
Open to an MBA later (if I wish to switch lines/grow)
Love the culture and people at UCLA, but Stanford has always been my dream school

Thanks and cheers!
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Aug 2015, 13:46
///

Originally posted by towski on 06 Mar 2015, 08:35.
Last edited by towski on 26 Aug 2015, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: UCLA Anderson MBA vs Stanford MS&E  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 10:38
towski wrote:
Hi backspacebar, I think that I have a rather similar background, but am a bit further along in the process (read: older), so I can at least tell you how I feel about my experience.

After I began working, I noticed a dearth of analytics sophistication in business. This was true for almost every group in my company as well as with the MBB consultants that we too often hired. I'm talking about things like exclusively using stepwise variable selection, not doing any fit diagnostics, and calling Excel spreadsheets models.

Therefore, I did a M.S. program in OR/MS at a top 10 school (not Stanford). While I will be a bit older than the average (28) when I begin my MBA program, I attribute a large part of my business success to my OR/MS education because I've been able to utilize tangible skills rather than focus on "strategy" right away. I can tell you that my employer certainly appreciated it and I feel far more fulfilled in my work than I would have trying to manage business operations as an entry-level analyst.

At 3 years of experience, you're not precluding an MBA in the future. However, I would advise you - if you do choose Stanford - to complete the program in one year, which is an option. Many students in the program are straight out of undergrad and an internship is therefore useful to them. Since you already have experience, it would be best for you to get back into the full-time work world as soon as possible. This will allow you to gain another 2 years of experience after the M.S. and still get into a top-tier MBA program at a reasonable age (what I've considered 26-28) if you decide that's still something that you want to do.

Hope that helps; congrats on your admits!

Hi towski,

That was a really insightful note. Thank you very much!

I was thinking on similar lines - to build an analytics/biz-tech skillset before heading into strategy/consulting/general management. That way, I hope to have a solid foundation in both tech and business.

About finishing the course in less than a year - I do not have too much work experience in the US. Wouldn't a US internship boost my employability (and maybe even convert to a full-time offer upon graduation)?

I see you're matriculating into Stanford - congratulations and I should hope to meet you on campus!

Thanks again.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 26 Aug 2015, 13:46
///

Originally posted by towski on 06 Mar 2015, 11:42.
Last edited by towski on 26 Aug 2015, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2015, 22:23
Vibranture wrote:
Hi Backspacebar,

If you are coming to US for your Masters and have no prior experience in US, it might be very difficult to land a job without an internship.

Anderson has great placement opportunities in both tech and consulting in West Coast and you start at an MBA-level job making it much easier for you to repay your loans quickly.

Stanford brand is tough to beat but Anderson MBA will give you a head start and you might rise in ranks much faster than going through MS&E + MBA.

Hope this didn't add to your confusion ;)

Hi Shea,

Thanks for the insight on the internship. I do have a few months of work experience in the US (and I work for a US tech company (think Intel, Dell, Qualcomm) here in India), but I understand the value of a summer internship - especially at big tech/consulting firms.

At 3 years of experience (specialized in Tech), I'm not sure I can land an Associate/Consultant level position directly out of an MBA program, where competition for limited MBB recruiting will be intense. Which is why I'm inclined to laying a broader foundation in business and analytics before taking up an MBA/management position.

Thoughts?

And thanks again :)
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2015, 13:37
Go Stanford.
This is money wise and its STANFORD on your resume, and it is more applicable as Mr. towski said.
In few years you may apply to a wider range of more prestigious schools in US to get much desired MBB placement.
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GRE 1: Q163 V152
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2015, 23:16
Great Insights here!!

I have a similar background.(Close to 3 yrs of work ex.however not in the US) and I am heading to the 1 year MS&E program at Columbia.
I was wondering what type of job functions apart from consulting and operations do MS&E students get to work in.
Please shed some light on this issue.

I do intend to do an mba in future(full time or part time ,depending where I find myself in a few years).Keeping that in mind I really would like to know what options do I have while I start my networking for intenships/jobs.

any sort of suggestion are most welcome
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UCLA Anderson MBA vs Stanford MS&E   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2015, 23:16

new topic post reply Update application status