GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UCLA Anderson with 50k or apply next year?

new topic post reply Update application status  

UCLA or Reapply?

• 80% [12]
  • 13% [2]
  • 6% [1]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
UCLA Anderson with 50k or apply next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 17:46
Gmat: 720
GPA: 3.2

Age 28, Female, Licensed Architect, Design-School Undergrad (Top 10)
Looking for a change in career and turn towards more real estate development and specifically, affordable housing. Was dinged at Stanford GSB, Berkeley and Columbia w/o interview. Yale SOM waitlisted. Accepted at UCLA Anderson with 50k.

Los Angeles seems like a great choice for getting into real estate and the affordable housing problem. However, I thought I would get more traction with my background. Would it be worth reapplying for Round 1 next year or should I get what I can?
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.99
Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA Anderson with 50k or apply next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 19:00
I would think back to why you chose UCLA in the first place. Will Yale set you off that much better? If not, I'd take the 50k. UCLA is a great school.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2019, 20:49
ak99 wrote:
I would think back to why you chose UCLA in the first place. Will Yale set you off that much better? If not, I'd take the 50k. UCLA is a great school.

I should have mentioned above that although I have lived here for a long time (10 years), I am an international student. With that in mind, schools like Columbia and Yale (while carrying a similar US News ranking) carry a lot more brand-value internationally than UCLA. I applied to UCLA primarily because I connected with the student demographic, its down-to-earth approach and its location on the west coast, which would allow me a change from New York. All these things still apply - I guess it comes down to the question of brand value. You only do an MBA once so is it worth trying again?
Current Student
B
Schools: Stern '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
UCLA Anderson with 50k or apply next year?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 03:33
what can you improve in your application next year? Obviously the top schools that didn't interview you thought your application wasn't strong enough. I see three aspects you can marginally or drastically change.

1. GMAT: 720 isn't low but for international, it is low for the schools you mentioned. All the schools dinged you have average of 727~734, and that's average. You're below average and you're an international (usually they are higher than average)

2. Career: Any big promotion or meaningful work product by the end of summer?

3. Essays/Recommendations: These are very subjective, but do you think you can make them much better? This is where admission consultants would be helpful.

If you don't see any major improvement in those three areas, I'd take money at UCLA. IF you do see big improvements in 2-3 areas above, then I say it could be worth giving a shot.

However, given your career goal, I recommend go with UCLA $50K. RE development usually hires last minute as opening is available and also doesn't pay as well as other industries (banking/consulting). I generally recommend not pouring debt on you unless you want to go banking/consulting.
Current Student
B
Schools: Anderson '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 06:55
This is what i would do.

If you think you can improve your application substantially in the next 6 months, then re-apply in R1. Otherwise Put down the deposit at Anderson, continue to work on Yale waitlist.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.83

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2019, 15:25
Another question- if you’ve been here for 10 years are you really planning on leaving?

Current Student
B
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 15:34
Take UCLA 100% - no doubts!!!

Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.99
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2019, 18:28
avacado90 wrote:
ak99 wrote:

As someone on the waitlist for a school as well, I see where you're coming from. I would definitely pursue the waitlist while putting the deposit down. In terms of reapplication that's a huge step that may have its own risks. You'll really have to drill down on the "why" it could be your GMAT or any other aspect and improving that substantially will be important. I was dinged everywhere a year ago (top 9) and even with an improved GMAT this year only made it into a handful of schools. I think there is a lot to learn from that - there are many factors in play. DM we can chat at length!

I should have mentioned above that although I have lived here for a long time (10 years), I am an international student. With that in mind, schools like Columbia and Yale (while carrying a similar US News ranking) carry a lot more brand-value internationally than UCLA. I applied to UCLA primarily because I connected with the student demographic, its down-to-earth approach and its location on the west coast, which would allow me a change from New York. All these things still apply - I guess it comes down to the question of brand value. You only do an MBA once so is it worth trying again?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UCLA Anderson with 50k or apply next year?   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2019, 18:28

UCLA Anderson with 50k or apply next year?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste