It is currently 23 Aug 2017, 14:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA Application Pain Points

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HEC Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
UCLA Application Pain Points [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jun 2015, 23:43
Hi All,

I am aware that the admission procedure of UCLA is extremely crisp having only 1 essay and 1 letter of recommendation. After this shortlisting there is only one interview with a second year student of the college - this interview would generally test how well i would fit into the culture of UCLA along with other things.

This gives me a hint that UCLA adcoms do place a lot of importance on the profile. I have read in a number of places that the AdComs at UCLA give GPA more weightage (relative to other colleges). Is this correct? I have a GPA of 6.3/10, a solid workex of 18 months (3 years by the time i join college) and a GMAT score of 730. Would my low GPA be a hindrance for my application?

Thanks in advance?

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 24

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 131

GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q46 V40
GMAT 4: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.41
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA Application Pain Points [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 06:20
Yes Nikhil, It would be a hindrance. But that in no way solely correlates to a no admit. When an adcom member reads your app, they will be like, "okay, lets see what this guys GPA is, oh a 6.3,....okay, lets see his GMAT, 730..... well that's good, I wonder what subjects caused his GPA to drop....." and then go while reading your essays...."wow, this guy had some awesome experiences, lets see how he does in an interview". So you see, its all a balancing act in the mind of an adcom member, he or she is trying to judge what are you really made of. A low GPA/GMAT score is a cause of alarm only if they suspect somehow you cant cope with academics (so never come with both of them low). A minor consideration could be how your GPA/GMAT affect their averages and rankings, then again minor.

P.S. 1 : A GPA of 6.3 means nothing, out of context. Its always compared to historical data of admitted students from your univ to guage what it actually means.
P.S. 2 : Anderson is less about scores and more about Leadership and Teamwork experiences.

nikhil.jones.s wrote:
Hi All,

I am aware that the admission procedure of UCLA is extremely crisp having only 1 essay and 1 letter of recommendation. After this shortlisting there is only one interview with a second year student of the college - this interview would generally test how well i would fit into the culture of UCLA along with other things.

This gives me a hint that UCLA adcoms do place a lot of importance on the profile. I have read in a number of places that the AdComs at UCLA give GPA more weightage (relative to other colleges). Is this correct? I have a GPA of 6.3/10, a solid workex of 18 months (3 years by the time i join college) and a GMAT score of 730. Would my low GPA be a hindrance for my application?

Thanks in advance?

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 131

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 183

Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: NUS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
WE: Marketing (Retail)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA Application Pain Points [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 06:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Nikhil,

I agree with what avik629 said : it's all a balancing act.

Having applied to Anderson and having been dinged the first time, I can tell you that it isn't one thing, but a combination of factors that get you that admit. For this time around, I'm hard at work getting that combination right ;)

From your first name, I take it that you're Indian, so you're already competing against an extremely competitive pool of candidates (sucks!). Also, Anderson is one of the most favoured schools amongst Indians applying to B-School. So while your GMAT won't be much of a concern, your relatively lower years of work ex (avg work ex is 5 years at Anderson) and GPA could be. To balance that see-saw, you'll have to make your essays shine and show genuine interest in UCLA and a clear vision as to why MBA makes sense NOW.

Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 129 [1] , given: 183

Re: UCLA Application Pain Points   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2015, 06:41