GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 22:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UK profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
UK profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 11:44
Hi there,

I am interested in getting a profile evaluation. I haven’t yet taken the GMAT but would like to get a feel for my options with my work experience and academic background:

2008 - started a small online business in the UK (online retail store) and successfully sold
2009 - degree programme included 1 year internship at L’Oreal working in procurement and logistics
2010 - graduated with a Bachelor degree in Business and Computing (GPA 3.6) from a top 20 UK university
2011 - 2013 - spent 2 years in management consulting at Accenture for banks and insurance companies
2013 - 2016 - spent 3.5 years in management consulting at Deloitte (within strategy and operations consulting) for various UK banks, led small teams here
2016 to date - managing operations at a well known pre-IPO start-up (facebook/google equivalent).

Outside of work I provide mentoring for a social mobility charity.

I’m 28, white, british male.

I would be targeting the top US business schools and also London Business School. If I broke 700 on the GMAT, would I even have a chance at Harvard/Wharton/Stanford/MIT?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Re: UK profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 12:32
jmmytrona,
Your career sounds potentially like H/S/W/MIT material in that it has good branding, shows leadership and boasts some 'startup sparkle.' A 700-710 would not disqualify you from these 4 schools but given that you are not a 'diversity applicant' (conventionally understood), did not graduate from a top-tier university (I infer), and do not have a leadership role in your charity, I would be concerned that you are not quite strong enough for H/S/W/MIT. But if you have a powerful personal story you may still have a shot. The devil is in the details. Seeing your resume would give me a better sense: paul@admitify.com.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com/testimonials

jmmytrona wrote:
Hi there,

I am interested in getting a profile evaluation. I haven’t yet taken the GMAT but would like to get a feel for my options with my work experience and academic background:

2008 - started a small online business in the UK (online retail store) and successfully sold
2009 - degree programme included 1 year internship at L’Oreal working in procurement and logistics
2010 - graduated with a Bachelor degree in Business and Computing (GPA 3.6) from a top 20 UK university
2011 - 2013 - spent 2 years in management consulting at Accenture for banks and insurance companies
2013 - 2016 - spent 3.5 years in management consulting at Deloitte (within strategy and operations consulting) for various UK banks, led small teams here
2016 to date - managing operations at a well known pre-IPO start-up (facebook/google equivalent).

I would be targeting the top US business schools and also London Business School. If I broke 700 on the GMAT, would I even have a chance at Harvard/Wharton/Stanford/MIT?

Expert Post
VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
UK profile evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 13:15
jmmytrona wrote:
Hi there,

I'm wildly enthusiastic about your profile, love how you have seen business from multiple vantage points. Love that you have led small teams - would be interested in any other leadership experience, programs or people. You are not exactly diverse, being white, British and with a consulting background. Would love to see you get a 720+ on the GMAT but not a dealbreaker if you have some offsetting entries. I'm curious about where we could find an emotional connection point with the adcom. Any interesting hobbies? Unique background? I think with the right stories lucidly told you could have a shot at these schools. If you are interested in LBS I imagine you are seeking an international program. Would recommend you look at the Lauder program at Wharton (combined MA/MBA and you start in May.) I got someone into that this year who has the GRE equivalent of a 620 GMAT. HBS and GSB are more chancey but not impossible. Please definitely reach out of you would like to talk more, Farrell@MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 08:57
jmmytrona wrote:
Hi there,

Jimmy,

Thank you for your detailed profile post. You have a really strong profile on paper and I would recommend you apply to top schools. In terms of how high you can reach, it depends on the GMAT. While I really like the profile, just breaking 700 may not be enough. The average scores continue to rise and among white British males with a consulting background, you are looking at 740 as a realistic target to try to achieve. I used to work at Deloitte in S&O and I work a lot of Deloitte consultants each year (I actually just missed you at an event I held for clients in London in February). Bottom line is you have a very attractive profile, I just want to make sure you have an equally impressive GMAT score to support that. If you do then yes, you have a good chance at these schools and I would love to discuss further. I went from Deloitte to Wharton and can explain how that process worked. (as a white male) Reach out and we can chat further: scott@personalmbacoach.com / www.personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Show Tags

New post 27 Apr 2017, 09:27
Hi there,

You have a really interesting and strong background professionally, but I have been seeing those with weaker GMAT scores from tougher demographics (such as white male) in consulting/finance having a a harder time getting admitted to the top schools. Breaking a 730/740+ on the GMAT will be important to make sure that you hit the threshold that the top schools are looking for. While you may still have a shot with a lower GMAT, it will be harder. Also, the reality is that everyone mentors/volunteers in some capacity, so you'll have a better chance of standing out if you can take on a leadership role. By plugging these gaps, you should have a good shot at the top schools - if it would help to discuss further, feel free to reach out at info@ivygroupe.com or https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS grad)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 May 2017, 20:02
jmmytrona wrote:
Hi there,

Let me start by saying that your profile is really interesting, with a lot of positives. So I think the potential is definitely there!

If you want me to tell you how realistic it is that you will be admitted to some of the top business schools in the world, however, it is hard for me to do without knowing more about you. You see, what will set you apart is, as mentioned before, something that makes you unique and that could be anything from something related to your background, your story, a hobby, a specific experience etc. So I would recommend you contact ARINGO in order to discuss that once you are ready to apply.

A nice GMAT score helps, of course, but it is not the only thing that matters. I know, since I work for an admissions consulting firm that specializes in applicants with lower GMAT scores, so I see plenty of examples of applicants with less than ideal GMAT scores that do get admitted to amazing schools, including the ones you mentioned. So give it all you have got, of course, but should the score you end up with not be exactly what you hoped for, don’t see that as a deal breaker either, because it needn’t be. (All that said, 700 would be great in your case!)

Good luck!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Re: UK profile evaluation   [#permalink] 03 May 2017, 20:02

UK profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap