GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 04:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unbalanced gmat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Unbalanced gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 10:24
I got 720 on the gmat, with a 46 in quant and a 44 in verbal.As this is a very unbalanced score, I'm not sure if I should attempt it again.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Unbalanced gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 10:36
COngratulations on getting a 720!, well you have an outstanding verbal score, so i would suggest you only take this chance of retaking if you're sure about increasing your quant whilst maintaining your verbal. Q46 ain't that bad either. if the program you're targeting requires special attention to quant score, then may be you can consider a re take, if not, i suggest you keep this one and start working on rest of your application.
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 11:17
sancre16 - First, congratulations on getting a 720 on the GMAT; your verbal performance is impressive. You should provide more insights into your preparation. For instance, what were your quant scores in some of the practice tests? While 720 is a great score, you do have a strong chance to improve your overall score by scoring slightly higher on the quant section. A Q46 may be considered weak for some top schools. Also, a few schools specifically look at quant performance while. Therefore, you should do some research with respect to your target schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT 1: 610 Q43 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 640 Q47 V31
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 11:28
sancre16 congratulations! 720 is a great score, and Q46 is a solid Quant score. I highly doubt you need to worry about your GMAT anymore. Focus on other aspects of your application, unless you are from an over-represented applicant pool.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Unbalanced gmat  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 11:47
Congrats!

your score is fine for most mba programs. (You can try and evaluate your chances using a tool we recently built: https://gmatclub.com/forum/what-are-my- ... 09854.html )

However there may be several cases when you may want to consider re-taking: First, if you have a quantitative background and your Q 46 will just look out of place. That may cast doubt on your professional skills (eg accountabt with a bad quant score ;-)) At the same time, It’s a perfectly fine score if it fits your profile and fits your story of someone with marketing or legal background for example. Second, if your practice scores were Q50. If you were consistently scoring high on your practice test then it may be nice to pull your score to a 99th percentile. At the same time if this is around your practice scores and you are applying for round two in January, I am not sure it will be best investment of your time to retake the GMAT.

Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2019, 12:32
Hi sancre16,

First off, a 720/Q46 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to any Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. That having been said, a Q46 won't "impress" anyone, so depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you might want to discuss your overall application profile and plans with an Admissions Expert. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 09:26
Thanks all. For more context, I got a 92% in IR with an 8. I don't know if that helps improve my quant standing a little bit. My normal quant scores are always around 45-47. Although my verbal score normally is lower (like 39-42) so I think I got lucky on the test with verbal.
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2019, 20:52
Hi sancre16,

720 is a great score! What are the average GMAT scores at your desired programs? Also, if you’d like some further advice, as has been suggested, you should reach out to one of the many admissions consultants here on GMAT Club. Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

Manager
Manager
G
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2019, 10:37
Hello,
I think you have a very solid score. I don't see any issue with this score at all. All the best in your MBA application.
Cheers.

Re: Unbalanced gmat   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2019, 10:37

Unbalanced gmat

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep