GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Apr 2019, 19:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

UNC Kenan-Flagler vs Emory Goizueta

new topic post reply Update application status  

UNC Kenan-Flagler vs Emory Goizueta Full-time

• 50% [5]
  • 50% [5]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.45
UNC Kenan-Flagler vs Emory Goizueta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 07:32
Hi GmatClub forum,

Now that application season is closed for me, I am in the fortunate position of choosing between two great full-time programs. I am hoping to break into management consulting (happy with big 4). I prefer to be in NYC/Atlanta/DC/Philly after graduation. I am also potentially interested in a role in health/pharma/biotech start-ups.

UNC:
-better class size at 300, had wonderful interactions with students, slightly higher ranked, seems less regional than Emory, strong healthcare ecosystem, has solid OCR presence from consulting firms, fit seemed great at my interview, slightly higher ranked than Emory, RTP has amazing health start-up opportunities (not somewhere I want to settle down after graduation), possibly a bigger & more spread out alumni base

Emory:
- Atlanta, small class size could lead to more individualized attention, feels a bit more regional than UNC since 58% of the class stays in the south, fit seems right up my alley, also has strong healthcare eco-system, family support nearby, might be easier to network from Atlanta, extremely strong consulting placements out of many top 20 programs

I have already deposited at UNC and admitted students weekend is the same weekend so I can only choose one. Looking for any advice on whether I should deposit at Emory instead/which program seems better/strong program/ easier to come back to Northeast.

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs Emory Goizueta  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 08:46
Congrats on your admits!!!

It is a hard choice you have. I have looked up stats and placement for Consulting and both schools have about 25-30% share. It was not split whether it was MBB or others but I would assume a mix. MBB is HARD to get into as they are the coveted ones for consulting and have so much choice across the programs for internships and recruiting. I would assume they come on campus to both schools but I would check with current students to see how on campus recruiting actually compares. (Usually bigger programs do better since the 300-student size is more attractive than a smaller program) but it is also a lot easier to fly to Atlanta than Chapel Hill so who knows. Both schools have identical stats for recruiting at graduation and 3-months out.

P.S. You will likely spend less on tuition/living expenses at UNC but not sure how you feel about being in a small college town vs. Atlanta.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 09:32
Top Contributor
I completely agree with everything that BB mentioned. Here are my 2 cents focusing on Healthcare consulting.
I work with a pharmaceutical company is NE region. I went to a school in Georgia so i have some knowledge about the southern school culture.
Advice: go for UNC. They have a strong Healthcare presence in the industry so you will have a strong and successful alumni base to begin with. Charlotte is a Healthcare capital and going to a local school will definitely swing things a but your way. On the other hand Emory has a presence in Healthcare too with Emory hospitals as one of the primary boosters but i know for sure UNC would give you the edge.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2019, 06:03
Tough call- both are strong especially in healthcare with an edge to UNC- I just feel they have stronger healthcare presence. Of course, Emory has great consulting placements. My thoughts are that the UNC network edges out Emory both in size and geography (I think there would be more UNC people in NE if thats where you want to end up compared to Emory)...if anyone has inside knowledge around that, that would help us both! Goodluck
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UNC Kenan-Flagler vs Emory Goizueta   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2019, 06:03

UNC Kenan-Flagler vs Emory Goizueta

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap