Last visit was: 16 May 2024, 12:38 It is currently 16 May 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Updated to add:

The part-time internship at State Street or Fidelity would not be very impressive. Mostly drone work, similar to what I did at Global Insight. There would be no leadership or anything worth mentioning in essays, which is why I'm a bit hesitant to do the internship. Without the internship, I can probably have close to a 3.7 when applying in R2.

Is pure work-experience, even if it's not worthy work-experience, useful in my case?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
beny wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback.

Hope you can answer a few follow-up questions:

1. a.) You say that you don’t quite see the impact; what part of my profile is most lacking? I would assume work experience, but I could be wrong… Any tips to strengthen the weakness would also be appreciated. 1. b.) I am looking to do a part-time internship, either at State Street or Fidelity Investments, during the Fall semester, but it could potentially hurt my grades; is this advisable? (I’m not sure how Tufts is viewed by the adcom and I think that grades are even more important for me than for the average applicant because I’m applying straight out of undergrad).

2.) Regarding wasting a year on academics: The reason I want to do a triple-degree is because the HBS courses can be directly transferred back to count towards my MALD degree. Thus I would save a total of two years (in essence, getting my MALD w/ no opportunity cost). The benefit of the Fletcher degree is that it allows me to secure international internships that are very valuable to me. I got my internship in Mongolia through Fletcher and am looking to do a social internship in Africa next summer. Would this be enough to explain why I need the MALD (for the joint-degree essay in the HBS app)?

3.) I am considering also applying to Stanford and Tuck, but am hesitant to do so.

Stanford because:
- They target college seniors (and I can get the application fee waived).
- They offer feedback for rejected college seniors, which could potentially help me in future apps.
- Although more competitive than HBS, Stanford also highly values both community service and entrepreneurship (more than HBS) – would I be more competitive at Stanford?

Tuck because:
- They have a formal joint-degree agreement with Fletcher
- They offer self-initiated interviews (which could give me good practice incase I get an HBS interview…)

I am hesitant to apply to these schools because I don’t see myself fitting into either of them. I absolutely dread Stanford because of its location (I hate Cali...) but I'm wondering if the application process might be educational. If admitted to either school, and dinged from HBS, I would have a difficult time deciding whether I would enroll or turn down the offer for the chance to reapply to HBS the following year. HBS is where I really want to be. Can you offer some guidance on this?

Thanks a lot!

beny,

For the reasons you gave, I agree that the part-time internship would not help you much. What would help you is some community activity that would corroborate and complement the unusualness and 'big vision' that seem to be your profile's strongest suit. Can you initiate or have impact with your community involvements while still studying at Tufts? If so, I would recommend doing this, which might strengthen your odds at HBS.

Your explanation for the triple degree makes sense, so spell it all out for HBS. I'm sure they would look kindly upon an applicant who knows specifically why he needs an HBS degree, since so many applicants don't.

The problem with Stanford is that it's a much smaller entering class than HBS so the odds would be just as tough if not worse. Tuck is not as open to young applicant as Stanford and HBS.

So my advice is to find a way to rack up some leadership accomplishments related to your post-MBA goals while you are studying at Tufts. Show them leadership and academic success.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the advice!

I've decided to put off my HBS app until next year (since my Fletcher degree will take longer than expected anyway). I realized that there are several things I'm considering doing over the next year that align with my ultimate goal of social enterprise and would be both impacting and impressive. I hope I can come back this time next year and "wow" you with my updated profile.

Thanks again.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
beny wrote:
Thanks for the advice!

I've decided to put off my HBS app until next year (since my Fletcher degree will take longer than expected anyway). I realized that there are several things I'm considering doing over the next year that align with my ultimate goal of social enterprise and would be both impacting and impressive. I hope I can come back this time next year and "wow" you with my updated profile.

Thanks again.

Sounds good to me. Good luck to you.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]