GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 29 Feb 2020, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2006, 20:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

82% (01:08) correct 18% (01:22) wrong based on 552 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as many as 600.

(A) Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

(B) Unlike the range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, typically occupying 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally so

(C) While the typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, with males, their range can cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally so

(D) Whereas a female grizzly bear in the Rockies typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

(E) The typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, unlike males, which will cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally as
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2006, 21:59
Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as many as 600.

D is correct

A. Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as ( Wrong comparision)
B. Unlike the range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, typically occupying 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally so [/b[b]]( Wrong comparision and as is required instead of so)
C. While the typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, with males, their range can cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally so ( need as here)
D. Whereas a female grizzly bear in the Rockies typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as
E. The typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, unlike males, which will cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally as( wrong comparision)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2006, 12:32

A COMPARING apple and oranges. WRONG.

B. Unlike the range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, typically occupying 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally so
B. SIMPLY STRANGE. DOWN

C. While the typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, with males, their range can cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally so
COMPARING SINGULAR 'female' with plural 'males'

D. Whereas a female grizzly bear in the Rockies typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

ONLY ONE STANDING.

E. The typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, unlike males, which will cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally as
COMPARING SINGULAR 'female' WITH PLURAL 'male'.

D.
Director
Director
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 00:41
Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male's range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as many as 600.

Important thing to note here is that the parallelism should be maintained.:-
1) Either Female bear should be compared with male bear.
2) or Female bear's range should be compared with male bear's range

A. Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male's range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as
WRONG COMPARISON

B. Unlike the range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, typically occupying 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally so
WRONG COMPARISON

C. While the typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, with males, their range can cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally so
WRONG COMPARISON

CORRECT COMPARISON

E. The typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, unlike males, which will cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally as
WRONG COMPARISON

ANSWER IS D

KC wrote:

A. Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 06:03
KC wrote:

A. Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

as many as is the right idiom. B and C are out.

In A 'which' incorrectly modifies 'rockies'. It must modify 'Bear' instead.

In E Males are compared with 'range' incorrectly.

D is the correct answer

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 23:25
I as for as I know
'Whereas' and 'while' show clauses in direct opposition to each other
•Whereas you have lots of time to do your homework, I have very little time indeed.
•Mary is rich, while I am poor

here whereas X ,Y will
Will -Express future intent
confused by the tense here, hope someone can clarify
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2017, 23:32

A. Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as - illogical comparison ; which incorrectly modifies Rockies
B. Unlike the range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, typically occupying 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally so - illogical comparison ; so many as is incorrect idiom
C. While the typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, with males, their range can cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally so - so many as is incorrect idiom
D. Whereas a female grizzly bear in the Rockies typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as - Correct
E. The typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, unlike males, which will cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally as - illogical comparison

Answer D
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GRE 1: Q162 V149
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2019, 03:37
Only D has the correct comparison , C could have been a contender but it lost the chance when it changed the meaning and also introduced a pronoun number error(their referring to the bear)

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
D
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 00:44
Hi,
Can any expert explain option D with respect to verb, parallelism and meaning clarity?

CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2019, 21:41
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi,
Can any expert explain option D with respect to verb, parallelism and meaning clarity?
I can help with the first part of your question. Option D is:

Whereas a female grizzly bear in the Rockies typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as
D
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 06:05
Hello, Can any expert, daagh/Veritaskarishma/generis/ajitesharun/GMATninja) please clarify my queries?
Does not verb shift distort the meaning of the sentence in option D?
Can anyone explain parallelism in second part of the sentence (option D)?

CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 06:36
Raxit85 wrote:
Hello, Can any expert, daagh/Veritaskarishma/generis/ajitesharun/GMATninja) please clarify my queries?
Does not verb shift distort the meaning of the sentence in option D?
Can anyone explain parallelism in second part of the sentence (option D)?
Hi Raxit85,

It'd help if you could give me an idea about how you are looking at option D. What are the meaning and parallelism issues you've identified?

Ajitesh
D
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 07:00
In option D, first part of comparison(before comma) mentions present tense, meant process of occupying usually happens but in second part of suddenly verb changed to future tense. Does the context really required to shift the verb tense???
Regarding parallelism query, I got clarity. According to me, second part of sentence represents parallelism between noun phrase, I.e. a male will cover 200 to 500 and a male will cover occasionally as many as 600.
I was thinking wrongly about usage of "and" with respect to meaning.

CEO
CEO
V

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2019, 07:20
Raxit85 wrote:
In option D, first part of comparison(before comma) mentions present tense, meant process of occupying usually happens but in second part of suddenly verb changed to future tense. Does the context really required to shift the verb tense???
Regarding parallelism query, I got clarity. According to me, second part of sentence represents parallelism between noun phrase, I.e. a male will cover 200 to 500 and a male will cover occasionally as many as 600.
I was thinking wrongly about usage of "and" with respect to meaning.
That's a great question. We could read that portion as "a male will cover X miles (in its lifetime)" to understand the meaning (the intended meaning of the sentence is more "general" than "lifetime" though). This is a valid way to talk about what someone or something will generally do. For example:

A star will burn more than X tons of hydrogen in its lifetime.

We won't worry too much about the fact that the tenses are different in the first and second halves of option D. They don't have to be the same (we don't have to make sure that every verb in a sentence has the same tense).

As for the as many as: you're absolutely right. It's meant to be read as as many as 600 (miles).
B
Schools: HEC '22, EDHEC, ESSEC
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2020, 07:15

Quote:
(A) Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male’s range will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

female grizzly bear compared to range - wrong
Quote:
(B) Unlike the range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, typically occupying 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally so

range of a female grizzly bear compared to male
Quote:
(C) While the typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, with males, their range can cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally so

range of a female grizzly bear compared to male.
Quote:
(D) Whereas a female grizzly bear in the Rockies typically occupies a range of 50 to 300 square miles, a male will cover 200 to 500 and occasionally as

Correct comparison. Female grizzly bear is compared to male bear.
Quote:
(E) The typical range of a female grizzly bear in the Rockies is 50 to 300 square miles, unlike males, which will cover 200 to 500 square miles and occasionally as

range of female bear compared with males. wrong
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2020, 07:15

Unlike a female grizzly bear in the Rockies, which typically occupies

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics