It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Re: Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2013, 13:42
blueseas wrote:
raiprem123 wrote:
Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.

(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.

(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree.

(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.

(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical skills.

FOR SOLUTION refer here:
unlike-computer-skills-or-other-technical-skills-there-is-a-74355.html#p555104

came-across-in-gmat-prep-looks-good-so-sharing-imo-88103.html#p663694

[Reveal] Spoiler:
please search before posting in order to avoid unnecessary threads. thanks

Thanks blueseas .... i will surely keep this check on next time.... thanks for guidance. :-D

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2013, 20:26
vivektripathi wrote:
Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical

Choose D.

This one was tricky because you have to read all the answer choice splits did not help for me.
A&B out due to wrong modifier (analytical skills should follow after comma in these choices)
C/D contenders.
E disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills (for the love of god) can't bear this one. :lol:

C - Analytical skills bring out what? disinclination? OUT.
D - direct concise after "cut the fluff"
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 257

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 23:23
In option D - isn't
Quote:
,willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills
enclosed within comma making it non essential and thus changing the meaning drastically. E might be verbose but it is ensuring the logical meaning IMO. From D , I gather that the portion between the comma can be removed and this will change the meaning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2014, 23:24
tenaman10 wrote:
IMO - D ...OA pls !!

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.Misplaced modifier ..
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.Misplaced modifier ...comparing computer skills with people ..(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree......comparision is right but sentence construction is akward .(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical
(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak.
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree.
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak...correct
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical - akward

I agree E is verbose and maybe even a bit awkard but isn't the presence of comma changing the meaning in D ?

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 01:28
himanshujovi wrote:
In option D - isn't
Quote:
,willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills
enclosed within comma making it non essential and thus changing the meaning drastically. E might be verbose but it is ensuring the logical meaning IMO. From D , I gather that the portion between the comma can be removed and this will change the meaning

Actually willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills is not really used as a classical non-essential. So, we should read it as:

Willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak.

Also, this kind of structure is quite common. An example that comes to mind:

#25, OG13:

Neuroscientists, having amassed a wealth of knowledge over the past twenty years about the brain and its development from birth to adulthood, are now drawing solid conclusions about how the human brain grows and how babies acquire language.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2014, 21:30
Before my GMAT prep, I would have easily picked up D but the nuances emphasised i the GMAT material really made me doubt D. Can some experts help me on how to tackle this scenario..

The non essential modifier made it look as if the extra qualifier for the set of people i.e. [quote] willing to admit that they lack.......skills[\quote] was NOT essential to qualify the set of people who are under consideration in this sentence

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 1474

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2014, 23:02
Hi Guys,

Have a rather basic doubt here! Is any/every clause that is set off by the commas inessential? If not, how do we differentiate that? I have this concern rising over the correct option D here.
Please help

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 1474

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2015, 20:12
I got answer as D, in comparison to other choices, but i have a doubt in D.

In D, Many people,........, are disinclined.....

I am not able to understand this form of sentence - using verb (ed) with are...???

PLease help..!!!! :roll: :roll:

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Optimus Prep Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 09:37

The idea expressed here is that people don't recognize weakness in their analytical skills and that this is not the same with computer or technical skills. A and B don't make correct comparisons (between computer or technical skills and analytical skills) and are just awkward and wordy.
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree still awkward and not direct enough
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical wordy and shifts the emphasis away from the lack of recognition of analytical skill weakness

Janielle Williams

Customer Support

Special Offer: $80-100/hr. Online Private Tutoring
GMAT On Demand Course $299
Free Online Trial Hour

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 15:45
ConkergMat wrote:
(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak. (Illogical comparison)
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. (Illogical comparison)
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree. [Comparison ok, but later part changes meaning]
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak. [simple and clear]
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical skills. [wordy]

I would choose D.

The word willing would´t be changing the meaning?

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2016, 04:14
Dear experts,

I picked up C. I read the threads of this topic. but I have not gotten why C is incorrect.
Choice C: Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to degree.

IMO,
1/
well-comparison , computer skills or other technical skills VS analytical skills.
2/
people are disinclined to recognize that they are weak.

genuinely want your help to point my fault.

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 29

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 156

Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 21:49

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak wrong comparison
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak wrong comparison
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree Wordy
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak Correct
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical Wordy

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 156

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 231

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 00:56
vivektripathi wrote:

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree

it takes me a long time to do this question , which i solved many times.

sc suffer only two kinds of errors, grammatical and meaning. grammartical error is easy. it is error grammar books explain.
meaning error is specialty of gmat and is the reason for which many person fail. this kind of error is not hard but few of us have good concept of it.

meaning error is the illogic combination of phrases. it is so simple that we use our common sense of this world to realize the illogic combination. no need to learn anything new and hard. gmat create this kind of error to make our writing more logic and suitable with our common sense of this world.

now , we look for meaning errors in choice C and E, using our common sense of this world, not using hard points of grammar.

look at C
"they are weak" means "they are sick". analytical skill bring indisclination to recognize that they are sick. this make no sense. C is gone
look at E
"while willing..." shows an action happen in the process of other action. E show that person are disinclined only when they are willing to admit the lack of technical skill. this sense is wrong. in D, "willing..." is adjective which show a constant /stable character of subject. this is correct.

the following is some of meaning errors: consider the following in context of specific problems.
- illogic meaning
- unclear meaning
- redundant meaning

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 231

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Schools: ISB '19, IIMA , IIMB
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:37

Unlike computer skills or other technical skills , there is a disinclination : wrong comparison.

Unlike computer skills or other technical skills,many people are : wrong comparison.
change in meaning : skills dont bring out disinclination.
Correct : Sub , modifier , Verb+ object + that modifier
wrong meaning
means they have problem to admit weakness simultaneously but are ok to admit separately.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 17

Math Forum Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 71

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 09:44

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak - Comparison error
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak- Comparison error
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree - meaning change - It states that analytical skills bring out a disinclination in people to recognize that people are weak to a degree ,but computer skills or other technical skills do not bring out this disinclination in people.
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak - Correct
(E) Many people have a disinclination to recognize the weakness of their analytical skills while willing to admit their lack of computer skills or other technical - have a disinclination to recognize" is wordy

Answer D

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 857 [0], given: 71

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 61

WE: Engineering (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2017, 11:22
vivektripathi wrote:

(A) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclination on the part of many people to recognize the degree to which their analytical skills are weak - A IS OUT WRONG COMPARISON
(B) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, which they admit they lack, many people are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak, ERROR REPEATS AS OF A
(C) Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, analytical skills bring out a disinclination in many people to recognize that they are weak to a degree RED COLOUR CHANGES MEANING
(D) Many people, willing to admit that they lack computer skills or other technical skills, are disinclined to recognize that their analytical skills are weak CORRECT OPTION
AVOID ION NOUN FORM OF VERB

CLEARLY THE OPTION D IS A WINNER.

Give Kudos for correct answer and/or if you like the solution.

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 61

Re: Unlike computer skills or other technical skills, there is a disinclin   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2017, 11:22

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 36 posts ]