GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 06 Aug 2020, 02:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2019, 03:28
Unlike in the sentence indicate that this is comparison error. With split, you can remove A and B instantly sine the nest is comparing with raider ants.

Comparison should be logical. Hence, C is correct. Errors are marked in bold.

thanhmaitran wrote:
Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated underground or in pieces of wood, raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form "curtains" of ants that hang from logs or boulders, providing protection for the queen and the colony larvae and pupae.

(A) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants,

(B) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, which are

(C) leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are - Correct

(D) leaf cutters and most other ants in having nests

(E) those of leaf cutters and most other ants with nests
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 02:51
daagh wrote:
(A) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants
(B) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, which are
(C) leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are
(D) leaf cutters and most other ants in having nests
(E) those of leaf cutters and most other ants with nests

The comparison should be between the raider ants and leafcutters and most other ants. Only C and D survive. ‘In having nests’ in D is doesn’t make a parallel comparison with raider ants make a portable nest; C correctly points to the nests by using the possessive pronoun ‘whose’

Quick clarification: with answer choice C, the sentence looks like this:

Unlike leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are , situated underground or in pieces of wood, raider ants make ...

Is comma after "whose nests are" correct? I did not choose C b/c I thought this comma was misplaced thus C was wrong. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you :)
SVP
SVP
D
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31

Show Tags

New post 03 Nov 2019, 03:33
Liza99 wrote:
Quick clarification: with answer choice C, the sentence looks like this:

Unlike leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are , situated underground or in pieces of wood, raider ants make ...

Is comma after "whose nests are" correct? I did not choose C b/c I thought this comma was misplaced thus C was wrong. Can someone explain this to me? Thank you :)

Comma is part of the underlined portion of the original sentence and so, with option C, the comma goes away.
EducationAisle Online GMAT Classes

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Join us for a free GMAT Live Online Class from anywhere in the world
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2019, 19:03
Hello GMATNinja/EGMAT,

Can you please explain why usage of in having is incorrect here.
Manager
Manager
B
Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 07:34
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Can you please explain how in option D in having modifies raider ants and why it's not modifying other ants.I thought that it's giving additional info for other ants.

How to look upon this whether at which entity in having is modifying.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2020, 15:27
Official Explanation (Why option D is incorrect)

Logical predication

As worded, this sentence draws a contrast between raider ants and the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants. The appropriate contrast would be with leaf cutters and most other ants themselves, not their nests.

This sentence correctly compares leaf cutters and other ants with raider ants, but the prepositional phrase in having nests suggests that it is raider ants, not leaf cutters and most other ants, that have nests situated underground or in pieces of wood; however, the rest of the sentence indicates that in fact raider ants' nests are not situated in such locations.

Doubts 

1. " in having nests" How can this prepositional phrase modify Raider ants ?

Option C>>Unlike leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are situated underground or in pieces of wood, raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form “curtains” of ants that hang from logs or boulders, providing protection for the queen and the colony larvae and pupae.

Here "Or" is a parallel marker

Which entity is parallel to Prepositional phrase(in pieces of wood) ?

can someone please explain?
GMATNinja Abhi077, BillyZ, generis
GMAT Club Bot
Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2020, 15:27

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics