Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2803 [88]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [31]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [13]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
thanhmaitran wrote:
Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated underground or in pieces of wood, raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form "curtains" of ants that hang from logs or boulders, providing protection for the queen and the colony larvae and pupae.

(A) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants,

(B) the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, which are

(C) leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are

(D) leaf cutters and most other ants in having nests

(E) those of leaf cutters and most other ants with nests

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form "curtains" of ants that hang from logs or boulders, and in doing so, they are unlike leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are situated underground or in pieces of wood.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Comparisons + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• A comparison must always be made between similar elements.

A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants" to "raider ants"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants" to "raider ants"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements. Further, the sentence formed by Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "which are situated underground or in pieces of wood", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: Correct. This answer choice correctly compares "leaf cutters and most other ants" with "raider ants". Further, Option C uses the phrase "whose nests are situated underground or in pieces of wood"; the use of this phrase to modify "leaf cutters and most other ants" conveys the intended meaning - that raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form "curtains" of ants that hang from logs or boulders, and in doing so, they are unlike leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are situated underground or in pieces of wood. Additionally, Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in having nests situated underground or in pieces of wood"; the construction of this phrase leads to an incoherent meaning; the intended meaning is that raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs to form "curtains" of ants that hang from logs or boulders, and in doing so, they are unlike leaf cutters and most other ants, whose nests are situated underground or in pieces of wood.

E: This answer choice incorrectly compares "those (nests) of leaf cutters and most other ants" to "raider ants"; please remember, a comparison must always be made between similar elements.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [8]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 570 Q50 V19
GMAT 2: 650 Q49 V28
GMAT 3: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Unlike the nests of leaf cutters and most other ants, situated undergr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Template of like, unlike, in contrast with, in contrast to etc is

"Unlike Noun1, Noun2."

Here Noun1 is leaf cutters and most other ants
Noun2 is Raider Ants.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [2]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Kudos
Hi experts,
I just feel "in having nest" in D is strange, but I have no idea about what's wrong with "in having nest",
I went back to OE
OE wrote:
but the prepositional phrase in having nests suggests that it is raider ants, not leaf cutters and most other ants

it confused me a lot
any expert can help?

thank a lot
have a nice day

>_~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
I just feel "in having nest" in D is strange, but I have no idea about what's wrong with "in having nest",
I went back to OE
OE wrote:
but the prepositional phrase in having nests suggests that it is raider ants, not leaf cutters and most other ants

it confused me a lot
any expert can help?

thank a lot
have a nice day

>_~

experts,
HELP PLEASE...

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
Hi experts,
I went back to OE
OE wrote:

it confused me a lot
any expert can help?

thank a lot
have a nice day

>_~

experts,
HELP PLEASE...

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Consider the following sentence:
In having nests, raider ants make a portable....

In the above structure, "in having nests" refers to the raider ants. This is what the OE indicates.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:

In the above structure, "in having nests" refers to the raider ants. This is what the OE indicates.

thanks so much sayantan2c,

sorry for my implicit previous post

why does not modify "leaf cutters and most other ants",according touch rules,
the prep phrase "in having nest" follows immediately "leaf cutters and most other ants"

that's why I am confused after reading OE,
did I miss something ? please point out
appreciate...

have a nice day
>_~
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

thanks so much sayantan2c,

sorry for my implicit previous post

why does not modify "leaf cutters and most other ants",according touch rules,
the prep phrase "in having nest" follows immediately "leaf cutters and most other ants"

that's why I am confused after reading OE,
did I miss something ? please point out
appreciate...

have a nice day
>_~

In option D, the prepositional phrase can be considered a part of the following clause:
In having nests, raider ants make a portable nest by entwining their long legs.

Out of option D, you cannot make such a structure using leaf cutters and most other ants. Hence the OE.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

In option D, the prepositional phrase can be considered a part of the following clause:

Out of option D, you cannot make such a structure using leaf cutters and most other ants. Hence the OE.

thanks so much sayantanc2k,
you are always so patient ...

I am afraid I am sunk in the difference that prep phrase follows after noun.

1/ leaf cutters and most other ants in the corner
2/ leaf cutters and most other ants in having nests

for me, " in having nests " is a prep phrase , "in the corner" is also a prep phrase...
moreover, both follow immediately after a noun, and modify the preceding noun/noun phrase...

waiting for your reply

thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~

"In the corner" is a place - a boy in the corner refers to the boy who is in the corner.
In the contrary, "in having bests" is not a place - it means "in the process of having nests" - in such case a verb is required and the subject of the verb is the noun that this phrase refers to.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
I found the answer but I wasn't very comfortable with using "whose" for ants. As I know, we cannot use "who" for the things other than people. Can we use whose for animals or non-living things?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Yes, we can.

'Who' is a nominative pronoun(a subject pronoun) that is usable only for humans. 'Which' is also a nominative pronoun that is usable for other animals, and even all other inanimate things such as books, tables etc -- all in all to say, for everything under the universe

'Whose' is a possessive form of both 'who' and 'which' and hence is universally usable in common.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
zoezhuyan wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:

thanks so much sayantanc2k,
you are always so patient ...

I am afraid I am sunk in the difference that prep phrase follows after noun.

1/ leaf cutters and most other ants in the corner
2/ leaf cutters and most other ants in having nests

for me, " in having nests " is a prep phrase , "in the corner" is also a prep phrase...
moreover, both follow immediately after a noun, and modify the preceding noun/noun phrase...

waiting for your reply

thanks in advance

have a nice day
>_~

"In the corner" is a place - a boy in the corner refers to the boy who is in the corner.
In the contrary, "in having bests" is not a place - it means "in the process of having nests" - in such case a verb is required and the subject of the verb is the noun that this phrase refers to.

sayantanc2k, great thanks to you, as I do find many of your posts in the forum were really helpful.

After reading this, I think I kind of understand it, but not fully. As a non-native speaker, I hope if I can have some further explanation in D:

1. I can feel "in having" is awkward, I didn't pick up this option. But I don't really understand the explanation in OG for D, why does OG said "in having" refers to raider ants, not the preceding nouns before "in having".

Unlike L and most other ants in having nests situated on the ground, raider ants make portable nests....

Comma sets off these two parts in this sentence, why "in having" as a prepositional phrase modify the noun behind the itself and the comma?

Do you mean this sentence conveys the meaning like this:

The difference between L and most other ants and raider ants in the aspect of having nests situated on the ground is that raider ants make nests.....

2. Does "in having nests situated", have the similar use of have+sth.+done? E.g."having the house painted"

3. Is the following amending valid?
Unlike L and most of other ants (having nests situated on the ground), raider ants make....

I know the use of unlike: "unlike+noun or noun phrase". In the above sentence, can "having nests situated on the ground" modifying (leaf cutters and most of other ants)?

I really wanted to give up in these questions that may not be so relevant to the original purpose of examining from OG, but these questions bothers me several days, I had to finally post them here....hopefully someone will help me on this. Thanks a lot!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [8]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos