Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:02 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Updated Profile! Can I make the jump to HSW? [#permalink]
Devon wrote:
Thanks for getting back to me. I know I have a very unconventional background, and that can be both a strength and a weakness. Getting this PE job resulted from a solid year of networking extremely hard, developing relationships with people in the field, staying in front of people, etc. so it was a long road. I also know that I can't compete on pedigree - with a no-name school, engineering firm and PE firm, that much is obvious. And while I know pedigree is important (big firms are big for a reason), I feel like many schools are more willing to look past that if you have more leadership experience even if it were at smaller firms. An analyst that came out of a bulge bracket investment bank, who has good grades but no extracurriculars and just performs due diligence and preparing powerpoints at work, would be a worse candidate than someone who worked at a no-name firm but took initiative and showed leadership, no?

Anyways, that's my hope at least. That they'll look past pedigree enough to look at my leadership experience. I think I can add significant value to my current firm between now and application season, and I think that could have a lot of value even though it's not at a mega fund. I don't know how true this is, though. I've read all kinds of things, where people say how important pedigree is in applying, then another source says "it doesn't matter your position or your company as long as you show significant leadership experience." I don't know where the middle ground is.

My admissions consultant is saying that HSW are within grasp if I work hard at my current job and really do well there and in my volunteer work, but I'm always looking for second opinions. Seems that it's pretty up in the air for me.

Devon,

The reason you have heard apparently conflicting views is because the schools take in folks with diverse experience. So while they have folks from bulge brackets, they also have folks from smaller brand names. The point as you right said, is about how well you can communicate your achievements (assuming the impact is good in any case) and stuff such as whether your recos support those claims.

Another thing worth keeping in mind during this journey is to really figure out which top school will help you realize your dreams. Do as much research as you can on the schools to figure that out so you are not shooting arrows in the dark.

Keep at it.

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Updated Profile! Can I make the jump to HSW? [#permalink]