GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 05:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

USC Marshall vs Georgetown McDonough

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.44
USC Marshall vs Georgetown McDonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 10:34
Hi everyone!

I have received an admit from both USC Marshall and McDonough (no scholarships yet). I have been working for last 5 years in Tech Consulting and looking forward to advancing in the same industry (planning to work in US post-MBA). Can anyone please help me in choosing between the two schools?

Thank you!
Radhika
Intern
Intern
Re: USC Marshall vs Georgetown McDonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 10:41
Congratulations! Those are both great schools! I am not very familiar with the tech industry or Georgetown's reputation in that area. But as someone who knows little about that, I thought LA and California in general had a very tech industry reputation? Also, I actually briefly met someone in tech consulting who was living in Northern California, which was how I learned about that role. The perks in their role sounded so great that I planned to research on how to get into that too.
USC Marshall Thread Master
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2018, 11:04
radhikabahl wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have received an admit from both USC Marshall and McDonough (no scholarships yet). I have been working for last 5 years in Tech Consulting and looking forward to advancing in the same industry (planning to work in US post-MBA). Can anyone please help me in choosing between the two schools?

Thank you!
Radhika

Congrats! I think based on what you are ultimately trying to do, USC would likely be a better fit. I promise I'm not being biased. Georgetown is an excellent school as well but if you're trying to get into technology, they don't have that concentration as built out yet. I think they are on the way, but since you aren't trying to wait around for a few years most likely, I would go with USC. Not to mention, better network for what you're trying to do.

Of course learning is important, but you also want to leave with a network that can help you get to where you need to go.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.44

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 09:05
jsmallwood82 wrote:
radhikabahl wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Radhika

Congrats! I think based on what you are ultimately trying to do, USC would likely be a better fit. I promise I'm not being biased. Georgetown is an excellent school as well but if you're trying to get into technology, they don't have that concentration as built out yet. I think they are on the way, but since you aren't trying to wait around for a few years most likely, I would go with USC. Not to mention, better network for what you're trying to do.

Of course learning is important, but you also want to leave with a network that can help you get to where you need to go.

Thank you!
As an international, are there any differences in the living expenses between DC and LA?
USC Marshall Thread Master
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2018, 12:51
radhikabahl wrote:
jsmallwood82 wrote:
radhikabahl wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!
Radhika

Thank you!
As an international, are there any differences in the living expenses between DC and LA?

I went to undergrad in DC and I'm from the Bay Area. My younger sister is finishing up undergrad at UCLA and is living on her own. Oddly enough, the living expenses are relatively close, especially if you live in DC proper. However, the DMV area (DC, Maryland, and Northern Virginia) outside of DC is much more affordable than LA, especially if you're renting. So if you're willing to drive an additional 15-30 minutes to get to class for the day, you could save a lot of money living in the DMV area, particularly Northern Virginia and Maryland.
Retired Moderator
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
USC Marshall vs Georgetown McDonough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2018, 13:34
Top Contributor
Hey, Firstly congratulations on your admits both are amazing schools. I am an International student too and have a similar profile as yours. I was in a similar dilemma two years ago when I was deciding between schools.

I have considered the following factors in deciding between schools - in the order of importance.

1) My Past Experience
2) Post-MBA desired job
3) MBA alumni network
4) Past Placement record( Past International student placement record in your case)
5) College Ranking & Reputation
6) Academics
7) College Fee & Scholarship
8) Living Expenses

Past Experience & Post-MBA desired job are the two most important factors to decide between schools(IMO). If you are in Tech for the last five years and want to continue in Tech, Choosing a school that has a good tech focus, and past placement record is suggested. - Compared to Georgetown, USC has a huge advantage because of its location. Being closer to the Bay area always provides better opportunities w.r.t. job search, networking, accessibility.

Marshall has a very good alumni network(Trojans) mainly concentrated in the West Coast. So, again if you are interested in tech choosing a school with an established network in the west coast is important.

College Ranking - refer Usnews.com

Academics: I do not know much about the McDonough's curriculum so I cant really compare the schools on this. But, I'm sure both the schools have amazing faculty and curriculum.

College Fee & Living Expenses: Both the Colleges have similar fee structure and living expenses. So no differentiation factor here.

Scholarship: Ideally I would not suggest factoring in scholarship-offered in deciding between schools. But MBA is a costly affair!! if one of the schools provided scholarship and the scholarship is really significant then definitely choose that school.

Lastly, My experience with Marshall: I've enjoyed every bit of my MBA journey in Marshall. Few things I have really liked about my school are Student clubs, Professors, diverse student group.
GMAT Club Bot
USC Marshall vs Georgetown McDonough &nbs [#permalink] 05 Apr 2018, 13:34

USC Marshall vs Georgetown McDonough

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap