It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange?

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GPA: 3.5
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2015, 21:49
Ive been lucky enough to have been accepted to INSEAD and currently weighing in on some options on whether I should go there (compared to Duke and IESE). A factor is the Wharton/Kellogg exchange program that they have - and whether the 1 period exchange is worth it. Ill be starting in the Singapore campus, but will want to spend at least 2 periods in France (I have never been to France, so its a big deal for me to go).

Hence I am debating on whether to spend 3 periods or 2 periods in France + 1 Period in Wharton/Kellogg. I understand that its a networking opportunity to people who want to apply in the USA, but is it really that useful? 2 months isnt a long time to 'network' with anyone, and more likely than not, I think most INSEADers will be isolated from the Wharton bunch - but will instead be hanging out in each exclusive group (whartons with whartons and inseaders with inseaders). Thus the only perk I see is for you to put "Wharton" or "Kellogg" in my resume.

Has anyone done an exchange to Wharton/Kellogg and found it useful or worthwhile? Would it be just as useful to network with the Whartoners coming to INSEAD? Or does INSEADs brand hold its own in the USA without the exchange?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 08:16
Your guessing is right: networking opportunities are limited, and INSEADers tend to stick to the other INSEADers while in Wharton. Don't really know people who went to Kellogg, but quite a lot have gone to CEIBS (China).
On top of that INSEADers come to these schools a little off-cycle, so they don't quite have a chance to enroll into the best and strongest courses. My personal advice would be to get the most of INSEAD - there's a lot to experience with the 2 campuses.

For the US career search: be ready that INSEAD brand will not give you a competitive edge in the US. You might be able to find a job in a start up in Silicon Valley, but for IB or consulting it will be a stretch.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2014
Posts: 52

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GPA: 3.5
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge
Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 10:38
merryweather wrote:
Your guessing is right: networking opportunities are limited, and INSEADers tend to stick to the other INSEADers while in Wharton. Don't really know people who went to Kellogg, but quite a lot have gone to CEIBS (China).
On top of that INSEADers come to these schools a little off-cycle, so they don't quite have a chance to enroll into the best and strongest courses. My personal advice would be to get the most of INSEAD - there's a lot to experience with the 2 campuses.

For the US career search: be ready that INSEAD brand will not give you a competitive edge in the US. You might be able to find a job in a start up in Silicon Valley, but for IB or consulting it will be a stretch.


You mention that a career search in the valley is possible in the USA. So insead has a good brand in the valley? Wouldn't it be more famous in the consulting front?

Understand that MBB has a wealth of schools to choose from in the USA, but surely they'll know about the large European players like LBS and Insead.

Also did you find that the people who secured a role in USA were the USA citizens or were there Australians who got roles in USA as well.

How valuable do you think having Wharton/Kellogg is in the resume for the exchange? Despite two months being relatively useless for networking, does having a known name US school help?

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2016, 22:40
Quote:
You mention that a career search in the valley is possible in the USA. So insead has a good brand in the valley? Wouldn't it be more famous in the consulting front?

Understand that MBB has a wealth of schools to choose from in the USA, but surely they'll know about the large European players like LBS and Insead.

Also did you find that the people who secured a role in USA were the USA citizens or were there Australians who got roles in USA as well.

How valuable do you think having Wharton/Kellogg is in the resume for the exchange? Despite two months being relatively useless for networking, does having a known name US school help?


Anything is possible. In fact, finding a job in the Valley might be easier than getting an offer for China.

For the consulting firms, normally they would be coming to INSEAD to fill in global jobs. There is enough supply for the US jobs in MBB from the US schools. Having said that, it's not impossible either. It's just an usual track and you would be facing a lot more competition.

I don't think you can rely on my judgment re: Wharton or Kellogg names and their influence on your chances to land a job. These are big names indeed, but I'm not sure whether they play a big role. Kellogg wouldn't be too relevant for MBB anyway.

But in any case, you can discuss it with career advisors once you start a program. There is need to rush with this decision - you can decide later.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 16:23
merryweather wrote:
Quote:
Kellogg wouldn't be too relevant for MBB anyway.




Doesn't Kellogg send a lot to MBB?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 18:00
GJ6 wrote:
merryweather wrote:
Quote:
Kellogg wouldn't be too relevant for MBB anyway.




Doesn't Kellogg send a lot to MBB?


They probably do, and I might be wrong, but my impression is that Kellogg is a school specializing in marketing. Same way as MIT to me is a school strong in technology, Stanford - in entrepreneurship etc.
But I'm sure a lot of students from all these schools get to MBB as well.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2015
Posts: 12

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 18:49
merryweather wrote:

They probably do, and I might be wrong, but my impression is that Kellogg is a school specializing in marketing. Same way as MIT to me is a school strong in technology, Stanford - in entrepreneurship etc.
But I'm sure a lot of students from all these schools get to MBB as well.



I think that Kellogg/marketing might be an outdated school stereotype. top-consulting-school-by-placement-at-mbb-138975.html

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2010
Posts: 67

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 1

Location: Singapore
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 22:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
GJ6 wrote:
merryweather wrote:

They probably do, and I might be wrong, but my impression is that Kellogg is a school specializing in marketing. Same way as MIT to me is a school strong in technology, Stanford - in entrepreneurship etc.
But I'm sure a lot of students from all these schools get to MBB as well.



I think that Kellogg/marketing might be an outdated school stereotype. top-consulting-school-by-placement-at-mbb-138975.html


Okay, fair enough. Take my word back on Kellogg.

Kudos [?]: 23 [1], given: 1

Re: Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange?   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2016, 22:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Usefulness of a Wharton/Kellogg exchange?

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.