Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 21 Jul 2019, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V01-38

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56307
V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (00:36) correct 27% (00:44) wrong based on 60 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


If the building’s contractor does not agree to repair the damages caused during renovation, we maybe have no choice, but to bring a lawsuit.

A. we maybe have no choice, but to
B. it may be we have no choice but to
C. we maybe have no choice but to
D. we may have no choice, but to
E. we may have no choice but to

_________________
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 56307
Re V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:55
Official Solution:

If the building’s contractor does not agree to repair the damages caused during renovation, we maybe have no choice, but to bring a lawsuit.

A. we maybe have no choice, but to
B. it may be we have no choice but to
C. we maybe have no choice but to
D. we may have no choice, but to
E. we may have no choice but to

In this sentence the adverb maybe is inappropriate for expressing the possibility of bringing a lawsuit; may is correct. Additionally, the comma before the conjunction but is incorrect.
  1. Maybe is incorrect, and the comma before but is unnecessary.
  2. This option breaks up the word maybe, but is awkward and wordy.
  3. The adverb maybe is inappropriate for expressing conditional tense.
  4. A comma before the conjunction but is incorrect.
  5. This option identifies the correct use of the word may to express the possibility of a lawsuit, and the comma before but has been eliminated.

Answer: E
_________________
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2012
Posts: 4
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.9
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2014, 08:47
I want to understand the differences between usage of "but" with and without comma.
Can you please share more examples on the usage of "but" ?
_________________
Puneet.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 23
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 11:12
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Not sure why but cannot be used to connect two independent clauses. Here is an example from MGMAT SC 6th edition. page no. 47.

Lin drove to work, but Guy rode his bike.
Here but is a conjunction connecting two independent clauses.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2870
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 14:04
dharan wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Not sure why but cannot be used to connect two independent clauses. Here is an example from MGMAT SC 6th edition. page no. 47.

Lin drove to work, but Guy rode his bike.
Here but is a conjunction connecting two independent clauses.


Of course "but" can be used to join two independent clauses. The erroneous sentence has been removed. However that does not affect the answer choice.
Thank you for pointing out.
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 03 Feb 2018
Posts: 89
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2018, 12:46
Bunuel wrote:
If the building’s contractor does not agree to repair the damages caused during renovation, we maybe have no choice, but to bring a lawsuit.

A. we maybe have no choice, but to
B. it may be we have no choice but to
C. we maybe have no choice but to
D. we may have no choice, but to
E. we may have no choice but to


the answer should be D. But is a conjunction and comma in front of but is acceptable.
Please help me understand this.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 16 Aug 2014
Posts: 57
CAT Tests
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2018, 03:01
Just because , I got this one incorrect.
Quote:
A comma before the conjunction but is incorrect.

Does it work for all Conjunction. Could you explain GMATNinja Bunuel
_________________
Hit Kudos if you like the post
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 10 Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2018, 07:19
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

If the building’s contractor does not agree to repair the damages caused during renovation, we maybe have no choice, but to bring a lawsuit.

A. we maybe have no choice, but to
B. it may be we have no choice but to
C. we maybe have no choice but to
D. we may have no choice, but to
E. we may have no choice but to

In this sentence the adverb maybe is inappropriate for expressing the possibility of bringing a lawsuit; may is correct. Additionally, the comma before the conjunction but is incorrect.
  1. Maybe is incorrect, and the comma before but is unnecessary.
  2. This option breaks up the word maybe, but is awkward and wordy.
  3. The adverb maybe is inappropriate for expressing conditional tense.
  4. A comma before the conjunction but is incorrect.
  5. This option identifies the correct use of the word may to express the possibility of a lawsuit, and the comma before but has been eliminated.

Answer: E




Can you please explain the difference between "But with comma" & "But without it"?
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 15 Jan 2019
Posts: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2019, 09:19
The way I see this question is that 'If' implies a conditional sentence, 'if this happens then that happens' and therefore the second half of the sentence requires a Verb that implies a future action. 'May' is a Verb whilst 'Maybe' is a Noun or an Adverb and is not a Verb. 'May' also solidly implies a future action whilst 'Maybe' does not.

Furthermore, when two commas are used in a sentence then you should be able to ignore the fragment (the bit between the commas) as a test and see if the remainder (the main clause) still makes sense, and to make sense it requires a verb. This reinforces the choice between May and Maybe and the non-use of a comma.

I agree that Ans E is correct

I hope that helps
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 02:56
, but -> it is used when there are two independent clauses.

In this case Option E is correct as the clause after "but" is not independent.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 28 Jan 2019
Posts: 98
Location: India
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2019, 07:54
dm360xyz wrote:
The way I see this question is that 'If' implies a conditional sentence, 'if this happens then that happens' and therefore the second half of the sentence requires a Verb that implies a future action. 'May' is a Verb whilst 'Maybe' is a Noun or an Adverb and is not a Verb. 'May' also solidly implies a future action whilst 'Maybe' does not.

Furthermore, when two commas are used in a sentence then you should be able to ignore the fragment (the bit between the commas) as a test and see if the remainder (the main clause) still makes sense, and to make sense it requires a verb. This reinforces the choice between May and Maybe and the non-use of a comma.

I agree that Ans E is correct

I hope that helps


This is the explanation that I needed. Nobody else seemed to have an answer for this. Thanks a lot!
_________________
"Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!"
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Nov 2018
Posts: 23
CAT Tests
Re: V01-38  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2019, 23:22
punctuation is never tested in GMAT. Why the hell was this question made.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: V01-38   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2019, 23:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V01-38

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne