It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 19:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

V02-10

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42305

Kudos [?]: 133076 [0], given: 12403

V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:56
Expert's post
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

54% (00:42) correct 46% (00:30) wrong based on 100 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships; of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 133076 [0], given: 12403

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 42305

Kudos [?]: 133076 [0], given: 12403

Re V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2014, 01:56
Official Solution:

This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships; of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.

This question requires phrasing that will clearly relate the numbers 7 and 15 to each other, and correctly place the temporal marker to date.
  1. The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent.
  2. The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent, and the parenthetical expression to date is awkward and unnecessary.
  3. The word number in the first part of the clause is redundant, and the string of parenthetical expressions – 7, to date – makes the clause awkward and unclear.
  4. The phrase to date is misplaced and seems to refer to these 15 rather than any appropriate temporal marker.
  5. The phrase to date is correctly set off by itself, the phrase 7 of the 15 clearly positions the two numbers relative to each other.

Answer: E
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Kudos [?]: 133076 [0], given: 12403

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 06 Mar 2014
Posts: 269

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 84

Location: India
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2014, 07:06
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.

This question requires phrasing that will clearly relate the numbers 7 and 15 to each other, and correctly place the temporal marker to date.
  1. The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent.
  2. The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent, and the parenthetical expression to date is awkward and unnecessary.
  3. The word number in the first part of the clause is redundant, and the string of parenthetical expressions – 7, to date – makes the clause awkward and unclear.
  4. The phrase to date is misplaced and seems to refer to these 15 rather than any appropriate temporal marker.
  5. The phrase to date is correctly set off by itself, the phrase 7 of the 15 clearly positions the two numbers relative to each other.

Answer: E


The explanation to option A (highlighted) IMO seems to point towards the antecedent 'townships' unlike what the explanation states.

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 84

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Feb 2015
Posts: 14

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2015, 00:40
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.

This question requires phrasing that will clearly relate the numbers 7 and 15 to each other, and correctly place the temporal marker to date.
  1. The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent.
  2. The words of which at the beginning of the clause do not clearly refer to any antecedent, and the parenthetical expression to date is awkward and unnecessary.
  3. The word number in the first part of the clause is redundant, and the string of parenthetical expressions – 7, to date – makes the clause awkward and unclear.
  4. The phrase to date is misplaced and seems to refer to these 15 rather than any appropriate temporal marker.
  5. The phrase to date is correctly set off by itself, the phrase 7 of the 15 clearly positions the two numbers relative to each other.

Answer: E


The explanation to option A (highlighted) IMO seems to point towards the antecedent 'townships' unlike what the explanation states.



i would agree with what he has pointed out
i don't get why a is wrong

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 02:14
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.

A is incorrect as which is singular and cannot refer to plural townships 7 out of 15.
B is incorrect as number is singular as well and we cannot use verb are to refer number 7 of the 15.
C is incorrect as same as of B.
D is incorrect for below reasons

I feel these is wrong for below explanation from Mgmat SC
Quote:
Finally, on the GMAT, do not use this or these in place of nouns. A sentence such as This is great is unacceptably
vague to the GMAT. Also, do not use that or those in place of nouns, unless you modify that
or those to make them New Copies. Instead, use it, they, or them.
Wrong: Her products are unusual; many consider THESE unique.
Right: Her products are unusual; many consider THEM unique.


Correct them if I'm wrong. :)
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5227

Kudos [?]: 5877 [0], given: 118

Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 02:25
Mechmeera wrote:
This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.

A is incorrect as which is singular and cannot refer to plural townships 7 out of 15.
B is incorrect as number is singular as well and we cannot use verb are to refer number 7 of the 15.
C is incorrect as same as of B.
D is incorrect for below reasons

I feel these is wrong for below explanation from Mgmat SC
Quote:
Finally, on the GMAT, do not use this or these in place of nouns. A sentence such as This is great is unacceptably
vague to the GMAT. Also, do not use that or those in place of nouns, unless you modify that
or those to make them New Copies. Instead, use it, they, or them.
Wrong: Her products are unusual; many consider THESE unique.
Right: Her products are unusual; many consider THEM unique.


Correct them if I'm wrong. :)


Hi,
'which' can refer to plural nouns/clauses etc....
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5877 [0], given: 118

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 03:10
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
'which' can refer to plural nouns/clauses etc....


can u explain this further?
Also explain the difference between the rules for which and of which?
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
P
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 5227

Kudos [?]: 5877 [0], given: 118

Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 07:36
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Mechmeera wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
Hi,
'which' can refer to plural nouns/clauses etc....


can u explain this further?
Also explain the difference between the rules for which and of which?


Hi,
which can refer to both singular and plural both....
example of plural... the london museum has a huge collection of historical documents, which were written by famous authors.
only point to be seen is that the verb after 'which' agrees to the noun being referred to...
you can refer to any OG and look at the examples to further clear this doubt, as OG is the bible for GMAT

Difference between which, in which, and of which....
when you are describing the noun in totality, 'which ' is used...
the london museum has a huge collection of historical documents, which were written by famous authors.
when you are describing a part of it, 'of which' is used
as mentioned in the question in this thread...This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence
'in which' is used when we are talking of constituent of something
there were beautiful markets, in which the traders came from far off to sell their artifacts..
hope it helped
_________________

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

Kudos [?]: 5877 [0], given: 118

Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 18 Sep 2014
Posts: 1201

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Location: India
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 09:07
chetan2u wrote:
when you are describing a part of it, 'of which' is used
as mentioned in the question in this thread...This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships: of which, to date, 7 are still in existence


sorry to bother you again but according to you in above example of which refers to 15 new townships
but according to the bb solution the same sentence in option A is incorrect as it does not a proper antecedent.

can you explain?
_________________

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.


My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 895 [0], given: 75

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2014
Posts: 215

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 75

GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 06:58
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. This Q is doubtful. A colon, by the way, sh be followed by something that explains the part before the colon. A semicolon makes more sense in this sentence.

This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships; to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence.
- this sentence is 100% correct.

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 75

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Jul 2015
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Babson '19
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 11:31
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2015
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 23:57
Can anyone plz confirm the correct ans? Option (A) seems to be correct. The usage "of which" is correct.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 3

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Posts: 18

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Location: India
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V35
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2015, 03:03
of which ,can refer to process or 15 townships..m not sure about this as I selected choice A...

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 9

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 03:44
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 08:46
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rpriya wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate.


Let me try to elaborate further why options 1-4 are incorrect:

1. Since a semicolon is used at the end of the first clause, the underlined part of the sentence must be an independent clause. "of which...." is a dependent clause and hence wrong.

2. Since a semicolon is used at the end of the first clause, the underlined part of the sentence must be an independent clause. "of which...." is a dependent clause and hence wrong.

3. The usage of "number" is not correct. "15" refers to the number of "townships", not the "number" itself. Hence usage of the word "number" is incorrect.

4. The phrase "of these 15" is misplaced, and should follow "7".

If the above does not clarify your queries, please feel free to post further. Please specify your doubt specifically so that we may address the same properly.

Kudos [?]: 3519 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 12 Nov 2015
Posts: 61

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 126

Location: Uruguay
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Goizueta '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V32
GMAT 2: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 3: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.97
V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 13:29
[quote="Bunuel"]This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships; of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence

I have a doubt here. How do we know that we are referring to the Townships, isn't the phrase ambiguous?

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 126

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3200

Kudos [?]: 3519 [1], given: 22

Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2016, 13:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Avigano wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
This process resulted in a total of 15 new townships; of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.

A. of which, to date, 7 are still in existence.
B. of which number, 7 of the 15 are still, to date, in existence.
C. of the number 15, 7, to date, are still in existence.
D. to date of these 15, 7 are still in existence.
E. to date, 7 of the 15 are still in existence

I have a doubt here. How do we know that we are referring to the Townships, isn't the phrase ambiguous?


This is another example of the subgroup modifier. Once again refer to the list of correct usages in my previous post:
v11-213065.html#p1703401

This time refer to the first correct example:
Right: This model explains all known subatomic particles, SOME OF WHICH WERE only recently discovered.

In the subject question, the structure is the same. "7" replaces "some" and "them" replaces "the 15".

Kudos [?]: 3519 [1], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2016
Posts: 208

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 33

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2017, 05:07
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. A poor question with a poor explanantion. Please check the solutions you provider. Not at all happy with the quality
_________________

we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender!

Kudos [?]: 185 [0], given: 33

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Oct 2015
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2017, 01:46
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. The explanation states that 'of which' does not have a clear antecedent. However, isn't '15 new townships' which appears exactly before 'of which' a clear antecedent? I marked A as correct. Please elaborate on what constitutes as a clear antecedent.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 23 Jan 2017
Posts: 56

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

CAT Tests
Re: V02-10 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2017, 12:24
Bottomline... simply look at the semicolon. A semicolon must connect independent clauses which means the clause after semicolon must be independent. A & B are not, hence ruled out. Among C, D & E, E is most concise!

But I agree that the explanations aren't clear. "of which" clearly refers to the antecedent "15 new townships".

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: V02-10   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2017, 12:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

V02-10

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: Bunuel, chetan2u



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.