GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 18:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V07-35

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 5002
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 03:56
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

43% (01:01) correct 57% (01:13) wrong based on 157 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

An avid television viewer is statistically more likely to take sleeping pills at bedtime than a person who enjoys listening to classical music but does not watch television as a habit. Clearly, listening to classical music just before bedtime contributes to a more restful night’s sleep, whereas watching television before bedtime has the opposite effect. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the above argument?

A. People who enjoy classical music typically like to read just before bedtime.
B. Reading a book before bedtime contributes to restful sleep more than listening to music does.
C. Sleeplessness is more common among people who watch late-night television than among people who do not.
D. Engaging in a bedtime activity that is mentally stimulating often interferes with a person’s ability to fall asleep.
E. A silent environment is less conducive to restful sleep than an environment with calming ambient sounds.

_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
User avatar
V
Joined: 19 Mar 2012
Posts: 5002
Location: India
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 03:56
Official Solution:

An avid television viewer is statistically more likely to take sleeping pills at bedtime than a person who enjoys listening to classical music but does not watch television as a habit. Clearly, listening to classical music just before bedtime contributes to a more restful night’s sleep, whereas watching television before bedtime has the opposite effect. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the above argument?

A. People who enjoy classical music typically like to read just before bedtime.
B. Reading a book before bedtime contributes to restful sleep more than listening to music does.
C. Sleeplessness is more common among people who watch late-night television than among people who do not.
D. Engaging in a bedtime activity that is mentally stimulating often interferes with a person’s ability to fall asleep.
E. A silent environment is less conducive to restful sleep than an environment with calming ambient sounds.

The argument concludes that there is a cause-and-effect relationship between listening to classical music and getting restful sleep. But this conclusion is based merely on the statistical correlation cited in the first sentence. One way to discredit the conclusion is to provide evidence that something else results in restful sleep. That’s exactly what choice (A) accomplishes, by pointing out another possible cause: bedtime reading. The correct response is (A).

Answer: A
_________________

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Jul 2012
Posts: 14
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2015, 11:36
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

An avid television viewer is statistically more likely to take sleeping pills at bedtime than a person who enjoys listening to classical music but does not watch television as a habit. Clearly, listening to classical music just before bedtime contributes to a more restful night’s sleep, whereas watching television before bedtime has the opposite effect. Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the above argument?

A. People who enjoy classical music typically like to read just before bedtime.
B. Reading a book before bedtime contributes to restful sleep more than listening to music does.
C. Sleeplessness is more common among people who watch late-night television than among people who do not.
D. Engaging in a bedtime activity that is mentally stimulating often interferes with a person’s ability to fall asleep.
E. A silent environment is less conducive to restful sleep than an environment with calming ambient sounds.

The argument concludes that there is a cause-and-effect relationship between listening to classical music and getting restful sleep. But this conclusion is based merely on the statistical correlation cited in the first sentence. One way to discredit the conclusion is to provide evidence that something else results in restful sleep. That’s exactly what choice (A) accomplishes, by pointing out another possible cause: bedtime reading. The correct response is (A).

Answer: A



What if people who listen music read books but the later activity has no impact on sleep??? and it is only the listing music which cause sleep.
How can we assume that the reading did have an affect on sleeping. Is it right to assume this, just becasue sleeping was preceded by reading?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2015, 17:29
Hi Bunuel
Can we response for this Q..
I have same doubt as Jivesh..
Thanks
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Mar 2016
Posts: 1
Re V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 10:14
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi .. Could you please explain why C is not correct?... According to this option, sleeplessness is more common among ppl who watch late night television than ppl who do not. This can mean that they are watching television because they have the problem of sleeplessness which is why they watch Tv late night. Not that watching Tv is causing sleeplessness. The causal effect is reversed. Can it not weaken the argument ??... I am confused.. Please explain...
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 12:11
1
gayu2992 wrote:
I think this the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. Hi .. Could you please explain why C is not correct?... According to this option, sleeplessness is more common among ppl who watch late night television than ppl who do not. This can mean that they are watching television because they have the problem of sleeplessness which is why they watch Tv late night. Not that watching Tv is causing sleeplessness. The causal effect is reversed. Can it not weaken the argument ??... I am confused.. Please explain...


You have addressed an excellent point frequently used as a trap in weakening questions. However, statement C does not establish a reverse causal relaionship. If the statement were something like the one below, then your argument would have been absolutely correct:

"People who cannot sleep at night watch television to pass time"... this estbalishes a reverse causal relationship, thereby weakening the forward causal relationship.

However the statementt given in option C, just as in the main passage, states a correlation, not a causal relation.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2016
Posts: 46
Location: China
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q51 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.4
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2016, 20:54
The premise shows a correlation between listening to music and restful sleep. Then the author concludes that listening to music leads to restful sleep.
IMO A provides an indirect reason (a bridge) that links the two things, which means that those people who listen to music read books, and reading is the direct reason for restful sleep.
_________________

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2016, 20:23
zw504 wrote:
The premise shows a correlation between listening to music and restful sleep. Then the author concludes that listening to music leads to restful sleep.
IMO A provides an indirect reason (a bridge) that links the two things, which means that those people who listen to music read books, and reading is the direct reason for restful sleep.


No, option A does not act as a bridge between listening to music and sleeping because listening to music and reading books is again a correlation, not a causation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 70
Location: United States (HI)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Re V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 06:16
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 13:37
tae808 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.


If you let us know, exactly which point(s) you do not agree with, then we can address your query.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Dec 2013
Posts: 70
Location: United States (HI)
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.56
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 18:09
sayantanc2k wrote:
tae808 wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation.


If you let us know, exactly which point(s) you do not agree with, then we can address your query.


I think I now see the trap... Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 95
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 15:01
I think A is ambiguous. why must i assume that reading indirectly helps get sleepy. Actually, I can not choose A, feeling confident that my choice is correct in the real test. then I would choose A as a guess.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2016, 02:31
hatemnag wrote:
I think A is ambiguous. why must i assume that reading indirectly helps get sleepy. Actually, I can not choose A, feeling confident that my choice is correct in the real test. then I would choose A as a guess.

#

Please note that the strengthen / weaken questions need not ensure the conclusion (or the error in the conclusion). It should in some way (even if something needs to be assumed) strengthen or weaken.

The assumption questions are "must be true" type, but not strengthen / weaken ones.

Option A implies that there MAY be some other reason that causes sound sleep - this is good enough to weaken the argument. (It is not required that there MUST be some other reason.)
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 5
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 04:04
sayantanc2k wrote:
hatemnag wrote:
I think A is ambiguous. why must i assume that reading indirectly helps get sleepy. Actually, I can not choose A, feeling confident that my choice is correct in the real test. then I would choose A as a guess.

#

Please note that the strengthen / weaken questions need not ensure the conclusion (or the error in the conclusion). It should in some way (even if something needs to be assumed) strengthen or weaken.

The assumption questions are "must be true" type, but not strengthen / weaken ones.

Option A implies that there MAY be some other reason that causes sound sleep - this is good enough to weaken the argument. (It is not required that there MUST be some other reason.)


can you please explain that why option E is incorrect?
_________________

Fight The Good Fight!

Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2016, 08:33
Ashreya95 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
hatemnag wrote:
I think A is ambiguous. why must i assume that reading indirectly helps get sleepy. Actually, I can not choose A, feeling confident that my choice is correct in the real test. then I would choose A as a guess.

#

Please note that the strengthen / weaken questions need not ensure the conclusion (or the error in the conclusion). It should in some way (even if something needs to be assumed) strengthen or weaken.

The assumption questions are "must be true" type, but not strengthen / weaken ones.

Option A implies that there MAY be some other reason that causes sound sleep - this is good enough to weaken the argument. (It is not required that there MUST be some other reason.)


can you please explain that why option E is incorrect?


Option E is out of context altogether. The argument is about 2 things: whether listening to classical music is conducive to restful sleep and whether watching television is not. Option E does not deal with any of these two.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Jul 2016
Posts: 23
V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Sep 2016, 21:05
sayantanc2k wrote:
hatemnag wrote:
I think A is ambiguous. why must i assume that reading indirectly helps get sleepy. Actually, I can not choose A, feeling confident that my choice is correct in the real test. then I would choose A as a guess.

#

Please note that the strengthen / weaken questions need not ensure the conclusion (or the error in the conclusion). It should in some way (even if something needs to be assumed) strengthen or weaken.

The assumption questions are "must be true" type, but not strengthen / weaken ones.

Option A implies that there MAY be some other reason that causes sound sleep - this is good enough to weaken the argument. (It is not required that there MUST be some other reason.)


Please excuse me, I would like to commend your last sentence. How on earth do we know that reading helps sleep? I'm not convinced with either the oa or the oe. I think it is the power of the answer maker allows him to decide that "reading helps sleep".
If A is correct, then the revised version of it should correct: "People who enjoy classical music typically like to play kickboxing just before bedtime", because we (or question maker) could also decide that "Play kickboxing" helps sleep (we all know is not true in reality) base on the power of a question creator . Please point out my flaw above if possible. Thanks.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2016, 06:09
ThangLe wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
hatemnag wrote:
I think A is ambiguous. why must i assume that reading indirectly helps get sleepy. Actually, I can not choose A, feeling confident that my choice is correct in the real test. then I would choose A as a guess.

#

Please note that the strengthen / weaken questions need not ensure the conclusion (or the error in the conclusion). It should in some way (even if something needs to be assumed) strengthen or weaken.

The assumption questions are "must be true" type, but not strengthen / weaken ones.

Option A implies that there MAY be some other reason that causes sound sleep - this is good enough to weaken the argument. (It is not required that there MUST be some other reason.)


Please excuse me, I would like to commend your last sentence. How on earth do we know that reading helps sleep? I'm not convinced with either the oa or the oe. I think it is the power of the answer maker allows him to decide that "reading helps sleep".
If A is correct, then the revised version of it should correct: "People who enjoy classical music typically like to play kickboxing just before bedtime", because we (or question maker) could also decide that "Play kickboxing" helps sleep (we all know is not true in reality) base on the power of a question creator . Please point out my flaw above if possible. Thanks.


The OG states: " Answering critical reasoning questions requires no specialized knowledge of any particular field". However this does not mean that no common knowledge will be required. Many OG questions require some common knowledge to be used to answer the questions. For example: Q.11 of OG verbal guide 2nd edition requires you to know that competitive advantage of a company is associated with high sales. This knowledge, according to me, is more specialized than knowing reading, and not kick-boxing, helps sleep.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 21 Dec 2015
Posts: 25
WE: Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Premium Member
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2016, 10:53
sayantanc2k :

I'm not completely sure about the reasoning.

Though Option A does offer new information to claim that Listening to classical music may not be the reason for sleep and it may be due to reading, there is a scope of "may".

According to most of the question solved, if there is a scope of "may", the answer is usually some other option.

Option C, however, clearly states that "Sleeplessness is more common among people who watch late-night television than among people who do not" which means that it's not due to listening of classical music that induces sleep rather watching TV that keeps one awake.

Your thoughts on my reasoning will be much valued
Retired Moderator
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 3112
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2016, 03:12
1
Vishvesh88 wrote:
sayantanc2k :

I'm not completely sure about the reasoning.

Though Option A does offer new information to claim that Listening to classical music may not be the reason for sleep and it may be due to reading, there is a scope of "may".

According to most of the question solved, if there is a scope of "may", the answer is usually some other option.

Option C, however, clearly states that "Sleeplessness is more common among people who watch late-night television than among people who do not" which means that it's not due to listening of classical music that induces sleep rather watching TV that keeps one awake.

Your thoughts on my reasoning will be much valued


For strengthening and weakening questions, the "may" condition is sufficient. (only in assumptions and inference questions, the "must" condition is required.)

Option C strengthens a part of the inference : "...whereas watching television before bedtime has the opposite effect". It is a strengthening statement, not a weakening.
Current Student
avatar
B
Joined: 08 Aug 2016
Posts: 36
Re: V07-35  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2016, 14:12
I could not understand why C is wrong :( Could you explain?

I think A and C are so close, they both weaken the conclusion. A states another cause whereas C states a problem about the cause <>effect relation.
Both are the main right answer patterns for CR weaken questions.

I picked C. A states another reason but we do not know about the effects of reading book ( should we assume reading book is good for a quick sleep?)

However, in C, it is clearly mentioned that there is a reverse relation between cause and effect.
Re: V07-35 &nbs [#permalink] 24 Nov 2016, 14:12

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

V07-35

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.