GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 08:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

V08-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 13:03
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (00:55) correct 48% (00:59) wrong based on 87 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters; accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France.

A. Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters;
B. Like many others acting as double agents and treading in dangerous waters, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, was
C. Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters was
D. As with many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treading in dangerous waters was
E. As with many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters was

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Re V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Aug 2015, 13:03
Official Solution:

Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters; accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France.

A. Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters;
B. Like many others acting as double agents and treading in dangerous waters, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, was
C. Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters was
D. As with many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treading in dangerous waters was
E. As with many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters was

A. The semi colon puts the structure in proper place; correct choice.

B. ‘Acting and treading’ give a feeling that the events were ongoing.

C. A run-on; no conjugation between ‘waters' and 'was’

D. 'As with' denotes as if Mata Hari was accused along with others

E. Same error as C

Answer: A

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Engineering (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2015, 22:13
souvik101990 wrote:
Official Solution:

A. The semi colon puts the structure in proper place; correct choice.

B. ‘Acting and treading’ give a feeling that the events were ongoing.

C. A run-on; no conjugation between ‘waters' and 'was’

D. 'As with' denotes as if Mata Hari was accused along with others

E. Same error as C

Answer: A

I am not really sure about the OA here.
'Like' can only be followed by a Noun / Noun Phrase, but never a clause. Here, 'Like' is followed by 'many others who acted as double agents', which is a clause consisting of a noun & a verb.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

+1 Kudos if you liked my post! Thank you!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 22:06
I did this question wrong because I was thinking on lines of Like vs As.

Now I see that A is correct because all other choices have two independent clause join by a comma. Is this theory correct ?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2015, 07:46
can some one justify the use of "as" and "like" here?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Other, Strategy
GPA: 3.95
WE: Consulting (Education)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2015, 15:12
Hi sagar2911,

In the sentence, we have: Like noun + modifiers.

suyashtcs

"Like" works as comparison structure. The use of "as", however, doesn't follow any rule in this sentence, in my opinion.

rukna

I think that you are right. I missed the question because I didn't read totally the not underlined portion... The question is pretty simple if the modifier in the second clause is ignored.

"Like many others who acted as double agents, Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treaded in dangerous waters;... she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France."
Intern
Intern
V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Oct 2015, 05:59
souvik101990 wrote:

This is one of the best question I have ever encountered, but a bit easy if you notice the error.
This question test your usages of semi colon and the subject verb agreement.

Lets discus few things.
1) when two independent clause are there i.e both clause independently contain their own subject and verb then both sentence has to be separated by semi-colon. Or comma preceding For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, and So [FANBOYS] . If we use comma without FANBOYS between two independent clause then the sentence will be grammatically incorrect. Or simply use semi-colon between two independent clause.
2) Subject and verb should agree in number.

How to approch?
Read the Non-underlined portion: the clause 'she was finally.....' is an independent clause [ has its own subject (she) and verb (is started)] started with a comma. As this independent clause is started with a comma without FANBOYS means the preceding clause can not be independent clause. The preceding clause has to be either dependent clause or modifier that modifying the independent clause ( she was finally....) or that modifying the subject (she).

Now reject the options that make the preceding clause independent (i.e has a verb and subject of its own)

Option B:: 'Like many others....' is modifier giving extra information about Mata Hari. ' a Dutch seductive dancer ' is also extra information about Mata Hari. Hence read the sentence without this extra information. Mata Hari was accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France. Hence two independent clause is separated by just a comma without using FANBOYS. Hence this is grammatically incorrect.

Option C: Has the same error. ' Like many others .....' , ' a Dutch seductive dancer ' ,and ' treaded in dangerous waters [verb-ed modifier] ' are modifying Mata Hari. Now the sentence will read the same as option A. . Mata Hari was accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France. Hence two independent clause is separated by just a comma without using FANBOYS. Hence this is grammatically incorrect.

Option D: Has the same error. ' As with many others....' , ' a Dutch seductive dancer ' , ' treading in dangerous waters [verb-ing modifier] ' are modifying Mata Hari. Now the sentence will read the same as option A. . Mata Hari was accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France. Hence two independent clause is separated by just a comma without using FANBOYS. Hence this is grammatically incorrect.

Option E: Has the same error. ' As with many others....' , ' a Dutch seductive dancer ' , ' treaded in dangerous waters [verb-ed modifier] ' are modifying Mata Hari. Now the sentence will read the same as option A. Mata Hari was accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France. Hence two independent clause is separated by just a comma without using FANBOYS. Hence this is grammatically incorrect.

Option A: ' Like Many others...' and ' ' a Dutch seductive dancer ' are the extra information. Here ' treaded ' does not work as a modifier but rather as a main verb of this clause, whose subject is Mata Hari. Now read the sentence. Mata Hari treaded in dangerous waters ; accused of spying for Germany in the First World War, she was finally executed by a firing squad for treason in France.. Here, ' accused of spying for Germany in the First World War' is acting as a verb-ed modifier that is modifying ' she '. And two independent clauses (1. Mata hari treaded.... 2. she was finally...) are separated by a semicolon. Hence correct answer

Lets come to Like vs As:

1) 'Like' is never used in a clause that contain verb. But ' like ' can be used used in a sentence i.e that contains many modifiers and other clauses. Note: verb can not be used in with 'like' i.e ' Like has to be followed be some phrase or modifier. Example 1: 'Like he does' is wrong because 'like' can not be use in a same clause. Example 2: ' Like many others who do there work ' is correct. Because the clause ' who do there work' does not contain the work 'like'. Here ' like ' is clearly out of that clause. Moreover, her 'Like' is followed by a noun ( others). Hence in all the options use of 'like' is correct.

2) 'As' is always be used in a clause if it is used in comparison context. Here in all the options 'as' is used in a comparison context, so needed verb. But there is a word eclipse, which allows 'as' to be used without verb only if 'as' is followed by prepositional phrase. Here in option D and E 'As' is followed by prepositional phrase (with many others who acted as double agents), hence using 'as' without verb here is grammatically correct. Eclipse means it uses the verb implicitly rather than explicitly. . That means 'as' with prepositional phrase is mentioned with the verb but to shorten the sentence we use eclipse. For example: As in the last quarter, the company exceeded its revenue goals this quarter. This sentence means : As it did in the last quarter, the company exceeded its revenue goals this quarter. Hence in all the options use of 'As is correct.

e-gmat explains all these things very clearly and logically.

I gave lots of efforts - writing so long and how to clearly write it - towards this question to clarify all doubts.

+1 kudos if it helped you.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash Alex
(Do like the below link on FB and join us in contributing towards education to under-privilege children.)
https://www.facebook.com/svect

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 13:38
My question is simple: why not "treading" since the subject is the one that makes the action.
... Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treading in dangerous waters;
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 10:32
MaryLily wrote:
My question is simple: why not "treading" since the subject is the one that makes the action.
... Mata Hari, a Dutch seductive dancer, treading in dangerous waters;

Option D is a run-on sentence:
Mata hari was spying, she was finally executed..... two independent clauses are separated by a comma.

Moreover, GMAT does not prefer placing two consecutive modifiers that refer to the same noun. In option D "a Dutch seductive dancer" and "treading in dangerous waters" are placed one after the other referring to Mata Hari.
Intern
Intern
Reviews Badge
Re V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 13:38
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Intern
Intern
B
Re V08-10  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 02:42
I don't agree with the explanation. The word like must be followed only by a noun/pronoun and not a clause right? Please correct me if am wrong.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 02:47
souvik101990 wrote:

daagh please sir explain this question I think C is correct as we need verb for mata hari and i agree 2 independent clause must be connected though semicolon but that semicolon must came after first world war and if i consider semicolon after dangerous water "accused of spying" lead to ask question who and it can't be independent please explain
thanks in advance
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 08:24
Top Contributor
rishab
Let's strip the original text bare; there are two parts in effect.
1(Like many others… modifier), Mat Hari ( the subject) treaded ( verb) in dangerous waters
2. ( accused of spying… a modifier), She ( subject) was finally executed (verb).

In other words, the original text is a compound sentence consisting of two independent parts, each with its subject and verb.
This is a copybook sentence.
But the second sentence is a run-on ( was is the verb for Mata Hari, and yet again, you have another clause - she was executed - without conjunction to conjugate them. Therefore it is a comma splice.
C is yet again fused sentence. Mata Hari, the subject has two verbs namely treaded and was finally executed without even a comma between them. - This is a fatal blunder.

Please note that the part accused of spying is a modifier of the second part; the first part ends with dangerous waters. That is what the original wished to convey. Changing the original intent is not appreciated unless it is against logic.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2018, 23:19
daagh wrote:
rishab
Let's strip the original text bare; there are two parts in effect.
1(Like many others… modifier), Mat Hari ( the subject) treaded ( verb) in dangerous waters
2. ( accused of spying… a modifier), She ( subject) was finally executed (verb).

In other words, the original text is a compound sentence consisting of two independent parts, each with its subject and verb.
This is a copybook sentence.
But the second sentence is a run-on ( was is the verb for Mata Hari, and yet again, you have another clause - she was executed - without conjunction to conjugate them. Therefore it is a comma splice.
C is yet again fused sentence. Mata Hari, the subject has two verbs namely treaded and was finally executed without even a comma between them. - This is a fatal blunder.

Please note that the part accused of spying is a modifier of the second part; the first part ends with dangerous waters. That is what the original wished to convey. Changing the original intent is not appreciated unless it is against logic.

Thanks a lot daagh .Now i am clear with your explanation; You are always helpful.
Re: V08-10 &nbs [#permalink] 28 Mar 2018, 23:19

V08-10

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap