Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 18:19 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 18:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73517 [0]
Given Kudos: 19076
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: V23-31 [#permalink]
Hi- Can anyone please explain how need for American manufacturers to focus on fuel efficient engine is inferred from the passage?

Option E is clearly mentioned
but the passage no where says that Americans felt the pressure to improve fuel efficiency, rather they made alternative offerings. We do not know whether fuel injection systems are efficient.
"American manufacturers, facing a significant challenge, responded by reevaluating their strategies. They diversified their vehicle offerings, focusing on both design innovation and technological advancements. This included the adoption of computer-aided design, the introduction of fuel injection systems, and the development of enhanced safety features. "
Founder
Founder
Send PM
V23-31 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Aakash7 wrote:
Hi- Can anyone please explain how need for American manufacturers to focus on fuel efficient engine is inferred from the passage?

Option E is clearly mentioned
but the passage no where says that Americans felt the pressure to improve fuel efficiency, rather they made alternative offerings. We do not know whether fuel injection systems are efficient.
"American manufacturers, facing a significant challenge, responded by reevaluating their strategies. They diversified their vehicle offerings, focusing on both design innovation and technological advancements. This included the adoption of computer-aided design, the introduction of fuel injection systems, and the development of enhanced safety features. "

That would be from this section.

Quote:
The post-World War II landscape saw a shift as European and Japanese manufacturers entered the market with compact, fuel-efficient models. These models offered a stark contrast to the larger, less efficient American cars that dominated the earlier era. Particularly during the oil crises of the 1970s, when fuel economy became a paramount concern for consumers, these foreign vehicles gained a strong foothold

Just in case, I have to clarify that this question doesn’t ask about fuel efficient engine. Instead the answer choices about fuel economy. Not a big difference but there is a difference for wonders no engine just the general economy and two, you can still have an inefficient engine but ann economical one. I don’t think it matters really for the sake of this question but I just wanted to tell you that there’s a difference between what you said and what the question was asking. It’s a tip for you to watch out in the future because our minds tend to simplify and paraphrase and during the process they lose important details.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Send PM
V23-31 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AliceWooooooo wrote:
­I dont understand.

"These models offered a stark contrast to the larger, less efficient American cars that dominated the earlier era." so why not E? 

Sorry for a late reply.
The reason he is not the choice is because the passage doesn’t say anywhere the American automotive industry was dominant. We don’t know if it was dominant globally. Therefore, we cannot say that they lost dominance.

PS. Thank you for the question. I will improve the explanation to include this detail and why the choice is wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
V23-31 [#permalink]
Moderators:
Math Expert
93600 posts
Founder
37598 posts