Last visit was: 26 Jul 2024, 17:06 It is currently 26 Jul 2024, 17:06
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [1]
Given Kudos: 20634
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post] [#permalink]
Hi, I am new to GMAT Club and the MBA journey. Can you please name the no name French program? I am targeting some European programs and I would like to know if I should reconsider my choices.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
suyathis1 wrote:
Hi, I am new to GMAT Club and the MBA journey. Can you please name the no name French program? I am targeting some European programs and I would like to know if I should reconsider my choices.

Hi there and welcome. You seem to have posted in the absolutely wrong topic 😂

My recommendation would be to go to mba.com and use their school finder to locate yourself a whole bunch of French programs 😇
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
­Thank you for writing this, seven years ago or today, it's still relevant. 

I get really irritated by the r/mba sentiments that if it's not top 10, it's the worst decision you could make. 

I'm getting my MBA at a T30 where everyone gets full tuition plus 15k cash*/year (i used it for housing, books, and bought a car lol). I'll 3x my pre-MBA salary going into my internship and (can be well assumed) LDP, and will be debt-free from the MBA (I still have Masters loans, so that was a consideration). 

I think people forget that others have different goals, and backgrounds than consulting or IB/PE. As you mentioned in your post, people with high salaries going into a program tend to make even more coming out, but i think many think that they'll go into an MBA program at 60-80k, and come out at 200k from any school, in whatever role they want - which just isn't how that works.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do going into my MBA. received offers as early as August and accepted my internship offer in October - 100% the work I want to pivot into. I went in with companies I would target, Fortune 500 and beyond, and have people and networking skills. As a pivoter - name was an important consideration, but when I was deciding between Cornell and my T-30 - i realized there wasn't going to be a difference in the amount of work I'd have to do to get where I wanted to be, only money!

I was a super non-traditional (think, the arts) MBA candidate pivoting into a non-trad strategy role (digital transformation), and it's really sad how narrow the lense is for T10 admits/prospective students. While a name/prestige can be a (huge) help, I've not seen an industry or role where you can ONLY be from a particular school or T10. If you've got what it takes, can network, are likable, and can deliver, you can get so many places/salary bands, etc.

I hope more people read your post if only to understand that there isn't just one way to get somewhere. 

Thanks for writing this timeless post, BB
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 74324 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Thank you for supporting and chiming in. This is really valuable and helpful 👍

I did not go to fancy pants program either. I absolutely had to get a scholarship because I barely made enough money pre MBA. There was no way around it.

A brand is helpful and is a validation. It carries weight but that weight ends right the moment you walk into the interview. That value also diminishes the moment to take her first job. Your second employer is not gonna look at what cool of business school you went to but they will look at your first job after business school and have you been and have you been able to make a difference and what were you able to accomplish. My choice was full scholarship MBA or nothing.

And I absolutely think my MBA experience was worth it. I am an active alumni supporting my alma-mater…. I probably wouldn’t be as giving if they haven’t given me this life-changing opportunity and if I had to pay full price back in the day. I want them to give these opportunities to others as well…. so I’m paying backwards 😂

BosMBA25 wrote:
­Thank you for writing this, seven years ago or today, it's still relevant. 

I get really irritated by the r/mba sentiments that if it's not top 10, it's the worst decision you could make. 

I'm getting my MBA at a T30 where everyone gets full tuition plus 15k cash*/year (i used it for housing, books, and bought a car lol). I'll 3x my pre-MBA salary going into my internship and (can be well assumed) LDP, and will be debt-free from the MBA (I still have Masters loans, so that was a consideration). 

I think people forget that others have different goals, and backgrounds than consulting or IB/PE. As you mentioned in your post, people with high salaries going into a program tend to make even more coming out, but i think many think that they'll go into an MBA program at 60-80k, and come out at 200k from any school, in whatever role they want - which just isn't how that works.

I knew exactly what I wanted to do going into my MBA. received offers as early as August and accepted my internship offer in October - 100% the work I want to pivot into. I went in with companies I would target, Fortune 500 and beyond, and have people and networking skills. As a pivoter - name was an important consideration, but when I was deciding between Cornell and my T-30 - i realized there wasn't going to be a difference in the amount of work I'd have to do to get where I wanted to be, only money!

I was a super non-traditional (think, the arts) MBA candidate pivoting into a non-trad strategy role (digital transformation), and it's really sad how narrow the lense is for T10 admits/prospective students. While a name/prestige can be a (huge) help, I've not seen an industry or role where you can ONLY be from a particular school or T10. If you've got what it takes, can network, are likable, and can deliver, you can get so many places/salary bands, etc.

I hope more people read your post if only to understand that there isn't just one way to get somewhere. 

Thanks for writing this timeless post, BB

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1124 posts