GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 23:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post]

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.99
Re: Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2019, 14:03
How would you compare sort of the tiers in between...say a Top 5 vs. a Top 10 or a M7 like Kellogg/Booth to a Tuck/Ross/Yale - which are close in rankings but still a tier apart.

bb wrote:
whitman wrote:
For me, with no geographical or industry preference, I'd put the figure around a 50% scholarship to drop from tier to tier. For example, I wanted to go to Haas, Anderson, or Foster, and had in my head that the roughly equivalent point for them would be no scholarship at Haas = ~$40,000 at Anderson = full ride at Foster. It turned out I got denied at Haas and Foster but got $60,000 at Anderson, but that was the matrix I had established for myself.

Pardon the delay - business trip got in the way.
Thank you for being open and taking a position. The more I have been applying some kind of a system, the more I have been wanting to change it but the new US News rankings have really messed the whole thing up. One of the ideas is to run trade off analysis on alums/graduates and check their perception and then do the same for applicants and run 10-20 simulations on each, establishing the exact value and position of each school.

You have definitely motivated me to complicate the system:
I like the concept of diminishing returns (less linear system such as a diminishing difference such as:
HBS vs Top 10 - 100% scholarship to be on par but perhaps only 75 or 50% to be on par with top 5.
Top 5 vs. Top 15 - 50% scholarship to be on par (which means each position is wroth 5% of scholarship)
Top 15 vs. Top 25 - 40% scholarship (each position is worth 4% of scholarship money)
Top 25 vs. Top 35 - 20% scholarship (each position is worth 2% of scholarship money)
Top 35 vs. Top 45 - 12%, and so on.

Just need to build a chart and perhaps come up with an equation.
Then there are variables such as staying within the same industry or targeting a region the school is strong - that should be a reduction of 10% scholarship perhaps to make it equitable (anyone feels it should be more)?
If staying within the same industry, then probably another 10% reduction?

Thanks for your ideas and your Anderson post - they are this a better post.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2019, 16:02
I’ve done a little bit of analysis about choices other people have made which is probably more relevant than what I think in my castle in the clouds :-)

Out of those who got admitted to HBS or Stanford and Everradi of other top 10 programs with the full scholarship, all have gone to Harvard or Stanford. Some obviously have received assistance but the majority have not received any funding at HBS or GSB. That leads me to believe that if the top two value is so high in the minds of applicants, the separation between the top five and the top 10 Mail should be fairly meaningful. I doubt it’s at the level of a full scholarship but I think people would trade spots for a 50% scholarship to attend a top 5 program such as Booth or Kellogg or Sloan vs Fuqua or Ross or Yale.

However, we have not done this analysis yet. Will ask Narenn to pull the data and share what he finds out.

PS. I feel Tuck has enough unique aspects that it seems to draw a following. Kind of like Tesla so May have a diff result.

Posted from my mobile device
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GMAT ToolKit User
Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2019, 05:21
bb wrote:
However, we have not done this analysis yet. Will ask Narenn to pull the data and share what he finds out.

Sure bb. I just did a survey of users who received at least one admit from each of the following two school groups: Group1 - Booth/MIT/Kellogg & Group2 - Tuck/Duke/Ross/Haas/Columbia. I found 67 cases of such applicants in our database from 2017 to 2019.

Findings of the survey are interesting. While 67% of the admits chose their school on its brand value, surprisingly 22% preferred their Fit with the school over school's reputation or scholarship money.

Attachment:
Top 10-chart.png
Top 10-chart.png [ 353.47 KiB | Viewed 742 times ]

Attachment:
HSW vs T10 Survey V2.pdf [57.52 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times
To download please login or register as a user

MBA Video Series - Video answers to specific components and questions about MBA applications.

2020 MBA Deadlines, Essay Questions and Analysis of all top MBA programs
Founder
Founder
V
Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post]  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2019, 11:48
Thanks Narenn,

To summarize your table:
10% Chose lower-ranked school with a scholarship
22% Chose a lower-ranked school without scholarship (perhaps data is imperfect here)
68% Chose a higher-ranked school

Sample size: 67 applicants from 2018
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2019, 14:48
bb wrote:

International Recognition

If you are ever planning to work outside of the United States, then some of the choices/priorities will be different. For example, everyone knows Harvard and Stanford. Many know Princeton (no business school though), MIT (for engineering), and Yale. A few know Wharton but after that the name recognition really drops off. Granted, if you are applying for an MNC office, the boss there will likely be from Europe or US, but they may be from Australia or Asia, and the value of a name when you meet with local partners or folks not well aware of the western business school hierarchy, you may as well have attended an online MBA from University of Phoenix. Nobody will know what UNC or Kelley, IE, HEC, or Anderson, or even Ross Michigan is. A few spots on the ranking ladder may not matter a whole lot in the US, but they are day and night in other regions.

While the entire post is valueable, this specific point really cant be overstated!

In my opinion, this is a big draw for schools like Judge/Said or Yale SOM.
While the rankings might vary, I (as a European interested in working internationally) would very likely pick the respective schools over HEC, IE, IESE or Ross, Booth & Kellog.

While I don´t want to claim that any of the mentioned schools is better or worse, I personally would put a huge premium on brand that is known on both sides of the Atlantic.

Regards,
Chris
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Jun 2019, 15:20
I agree! If you’re wearing a Yale T-shirt versus booth or Kellogg in Africa or Southeast Asia, everyone will know Yale but only if you will recognize Booth or Kellogg. It’s smart that Yale did not come up with a name for its program and simply kept it as Yale SOM.

Theoretically speaking, it is interesting to look at some of the otherwise well-known universities that have started MBA programs. Yale did well - they have been able to break the Top 10 last year, though lost it this year. It’s also very interesting to see the volume of applicants to Yale versus similarly a ranked program at Ross or Duke. I’ll have to pull up the stats on the computer in a bit but last time I remember looking it was almost double! That makes it pretty hard to count for that variance in rankings and popularity.

I would add a few less famous to your list: Tepper program part of CMU, Mendoza, part of Notre Dame, John Hopkins MBA (famous medical school) has somewhat struggled to lift the program off the ground.

The most interesting is the Princeton university. Always ranked with in the top five in the United States for undergrad, which still has not started their own MBA program. I guess there is some admiration that they haven’t been tempted by the allure of the MBA.

Posted from my mobile device
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2019, 02:48
Thank you for the post! I'll be checking this out when I'm determining which B-schools to apply to in the next year or two.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post]   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2019, 02:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   [ 47 posts ] 

Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post]

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, teleste