Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 530 Q44 V19
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22051 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Verbal score improvement [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi AditiBarche,

I have a great article for you to check out:

How to Score High on GMAT Verbal

Feel free to reach out with any questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [1]
Given Kudos: 217
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GPA: 3.56
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Verbal score improvement [#permalink]
Kudos
AditiBarche wrote:
In my first OG Diagnostic test I scored Q45 & V19 without any prior prep. After 2 months of prep my score is still V19. How shall I improve my verbal score ?
I have been preparing from Manhattan for verbal. What could be a good strategy to improve my score, given I am planning to give my GMAT in 1.5 months?

Hi Aditi,
Although experts have responded, I will have my two cents here.

Don't rush to plan your GMAT until you are prepared.
Begin with study material like Aristotle Prep CR grail, SC Grail and RC grail. Then use SC Manhattan Guide and SC Nirvana (by GMAT aisle).
Get free trial of courses like TTP or EmpowerGMAT or Expert Global (fully exploring the courses in free trial to judge correctly will take 2-3 weeks)

You may go through discussion as well: https://gmatclub.com/forum/an-unexpecte ... 61705.html

Thanks.

Originally posted by TheGraceful on 01 Sep 2021, 19:38.
Last edited by TheGraceful on 05 Aug 2022, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 243
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
Send PM
It depends, what is your target score? If you're aiming for V25-30 sure that is doable. SC is a topic where you can see tremendous improvement provided you're using good study material. Refer to Manhattan Foundations of Verbal or enroll in an online course to strengthen your basics and only then move on to other stuff.

If your target score is a bit higher, then prepare for the hard yard. It would be extremely difficult to improve by 15+ points within 1.5 months. I would be more inclined to suggest that you defer the GMAT for now, and improve reading skills by reading books, articles and make yourself more comfortable with the English language in general.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there. Take a look at the link in my signature, "The Studying for Verbal Starter Kit." It takes you through several hour-ish long videos that cover the major strategies for the various verbal question types, while also giving general study tips and strategies.

The thing about verbal that's tricky, or RC and CR anyway, is that there aren't a lot of 'rules' to memorize. There's just a passage of text, a question, and your thoughts. So you really have to do some self-diagnosis here, and figure out where your thought process goes awry from what the test expects.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
AditiBarche wrote:
In my first OG Diagnostic test I scored Q45 & V19 without any prior prep. After 2 months of prep my score is still V19. How shall I improve my verbal score ?
I have been preparing from Manhattan for verbal. What could be a good strategy to improve my score, given I am planning to give my GMAT in 1.5 months?

Hi AditiBarche,

Let me help you.

Q45 is a great score to secure without any prior prep. It indicates that you have a good hold on Quant. However, your verbal score is an area of concern. Zero improvement in Verbal score even after 2 months of prep is just a symptom. Early diagnosis of the disease is important as you have very little prep time left.

You are surely on the wrong path for Verbal prep. Your verbal score clearly indicates there are many conceptual gaps and you may need to start from scratch, revisit the concepts and get a clear understanding of them before you solve the questions. Verbal questions on GMAT are very tricky. Let me help you with the right way to approach your Verbal Prep.

How to Ace your Verbal Prep?

For GMAT Verbal, it is very important that you follow the right methodology and the logical approach. Your focus has to be on eliminating four incorrect choices rather than choosing the right one. The key is to develop a solid understanding of the concepts that are typically tested on the GMAT and master the process skills that are required to solve GMAT questions. Only then, you will be able to smartly avoid the traps set by the test makers.

Before you start learning, it's important to understand what is actually tested using the questions. Each module in Verbal (SC, CR and RC) has to be approached in a different way. For example, before you start learning the concepts of SC, you need to understand that SC questions on GMAT test your ability to convey the right meaning without any ambiguity. So, it's important to approach them from a meaning stand-point. You might have often come across answer choices which are both grammatically correct and convey a logical meaning but are indeed incorrect because they do not convey the intended meaning. So, the process to approach SC questions is to:
• Comprehend the original meaning of the sentence
• Identify errors if any (both grammatical and meaning wise)
• Eliminate answer choices which either are grammatically incorrect or do not convey the intended meaning

You can go through the link below to understand the process in a better way:

Also, improving in SC alone won’t fetch you the desired score. You need to prepare for RC and CR as well in a structured and efficient manner. You have to follow a methodical and systematic approach while solving the questions in order to work on your accuracy and increase your score. For example,
• In CR, you have to understand the argument, identify the premise and the conclusion and then pre-think the answer before looking at the solutions.
• In RC, you need to have the right reading strategies to understand the inferences which are not directly stated in the passage.

I’d recommend you to follow this order for the verbal part - SC->CR-RC. The reason for this is very specific. Each question type on the GMAT is testing a specific skill. SC tests your comprehension skills. CR tests comprehension & analytical skills. Finally, RC builds on the previous two skills and also tests your ability to be able to grasp the central point of the passage i.e. Your inferential skills. Thus, when you learn in this order, it's much more effective.

The importance of using a standard resource:

The only method to make sure that you invest your time, money and effort in an effective way is to use a standard resource which teaches you the concepts, strategies and also helps you work on your weaker areas. Studying using OG or a few random resources might help you to solve GMAT like questions but I’m afraid that they won’t be able to help you much from a strategy perspective.

I would suggest you to go for some standard course for your Verbal preparation at least which can help you prepare in a structured and efficient manner thereby increasing your productivity. It’s always better to spare some more time on your preparation until you are ready instead of missing out on your dream colleges/ b-schools in hurry.

GMATWhiz helps you with all these things as we follow a structured and methodical way of teaching things, which makes the learning process simpler and efficient. It also helps you to develop an understanding of the test maker’s intention behind asking the question. It uses an AI powered learning platform to provide you with real time improvement modules after every practice quiz. It provides you with additional concept videos and practise quizzes which helps you overcome your weaker areas in a specific topic right away without having to put in additional effort to identify your weaker areas.

You can check out GMATWhiz and go for its Verbal Prep Course.
Here’s a link to our free trial – https://learn.gmatwhiz.com/?page=signup

You can check out the verified reviews here: https://gmatclub.com/reviews/gmatwhiz-345345722?fl=menu

Hope this helped and feel free to contact if you have any further queries.

You can always write back to me here or the better way would be to connect over a call and have a discussion. You can schedule a free consultation call using the below link.
Click here to schedule a call
GMAT Club Bot